Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #1

Suburban Furnace Blower / Startup Issue

Hi folks,

Just brought home my first RV...a 2013 ROO 183. I have been getting familiar with it here at the house before our first planned trip in March. Yesterday, I ran into an issue with the furnace...a Suburban NT-20SQ.

After plugging in shore power, opening the LP valve, and closing the battery disconnect switch, I started the furnace by moving the Suburban thermostat from "off" to the midpoint between off and "warmer."

After normal startup and running fine for a few minutes, I lost the shore power connection (GFCI tripped in the house) and the blower began a series of strange sounds as it wound down, at which time I switched the thermostat to "off."

I then restored shore power, but the furnace will not start. I have followed all directions in the owner's manual and it will not start. The blower will not kick on. The furnace makes a clicking sound twice after moving the thermostat to on but the blower does not start and the furnace does not ignite.

Any help in troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #2

Have you looked for a tripped breaker in your Roo? Sometimes when a ground fault is tripped it will trip the breaker it feeds (not always, sometimes). Do you hear the induction fan blowing while it is trying to light? If you do not, then you have a power issue.

firephighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #3

Thanks, I should have mentioned that there are no tripped breakers, and no blown fuses on the breaker panel. The induction fan does not start either. Could there be a fuse within the furnace itself?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #4

I am not certain of a fuse hidden out of sight. It would be unlikely. If it is possible, see if you still have power to the furnace. Need a voltmeter. Just asking, did you turn the gas off while resetting your GFIC and forget to turn it back on?

firephighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #5

No, I did ensure LP was on.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #6

The weird sounds it made .. Did it sound like the furnace fan was turning off and on and of and on and off and then silence ? That is how mine died.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #7

That would accurately describe the sounds it made. I was thinking the blower motor died as well, but I want to rule out any knucklehead newbie mistakes I might have made.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #8

I am waiting till spring to take out the furnace and have a look at it. I looked at the inside of the furnace as much as I could with an extendable mirror and could not see a fuse at all inside the unit. My guess is either the fan motor died or the control board died. i checked and there is proper power to the unit and the thermostat wires are working as well. Good luck ! We should let each other know if/when we find a solution.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #9

Will do. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #10

Have you checked your 12 volt fuses ? Although you were plugged into 110 AC the furnace runs on 12 volts . The 110 AC just powers the converter to make 12 volts DC and charge your battery (if your battery is dead ). If your battery is charged you don't need "shore power" to run your furnace ! Jim

Tags
2013 roo 183