Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #1

Suburban Furnace Problem

Hi All...new to the forums here! I have a new 2013 Canyon Cat 27RB that we have had for a few months. The first two trips were chilly at night and when the furnace ran, I got a clicking noise coming from the gray box in the ceiling vent. It does it during each cycle however there is no rhyme or reason to the amount of clicks or the pattern. It is not uncommon for it to click 50 times during one cycle. It sounds to me like a relay. The furnace makes great heat and runs its normal cycle, then shuts down and I have not had any other problems with the furnace, other than the loud, annoying, clicking. Propane is full, voltage was 120 coming in by a digiatl reading. Just wondering if anyone has every heard of this. I had it back to the dealer, but they claimed they could not reproduce the problem so I am just doing my own research while I wait to get it back in to get looked at. Thanks in advance!!
hoytmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Do you have any information on the make and model of your heater?

Is the heat in conjunction with the air conditioner?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #3

I know that it is a suburban furnace but unsure of the model. I was told that the control box in the ceiling that is clicking also controls the A/C. When running the A/C, no problems noted.
hoytmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytmedic View Post
I know that it is a suburban furnace but unsure of the model. I was told that the control box in the ceiling that is clicking also controls the A/C. When running the A/C, no problems noted.
No idea why your heater is clicking anything in the Air Conditioner.

The thermostat just makes a connection to the furnace when you are calling for heat. The AC fan should not be coming on.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
The first two trips were chilly at night and when the furnace ran, I got a clicking noise coming from the gray box in the ceiling vent. It does it during each cycle however there is no rhyme or reason to the amount of clicks or the pattern. It is not uncommon for it to click 50 times during one cycle. It sounds to me like a relay. The furnace makes great heat and runs its normal cycle, then shuts down and I have not had any other problems with the furnace, other than the loud, annoying, clicking. Propane is full, voltage was 120 coming in by a digiatl reading.
Quote:
Can you help me understand this a little better.

Do you have floor vents that the heat comes from?

Do you turn your Air conditioner and heat on from the same place? If not, where do you turn the heat on from...ie a thermostat

Do you have a combo A/C and electric heater combined? Just looking at some pics of your travel trailer on the internet (if that's the correct trailer with your options), it appeared you did have floor vents and a separate furnace (that runs off propane according to your first post).

http://www.palominorv.com/ProductInf...4960&RVType=TT

A propane powered furnace should run off of 12 volts DC (Either thru your battery or converter).....not 120 volts AC like the air conditioner.

What you are describing almost sounds like a DSI (Direct Spark Ignitor) trying to light the propane......but that shouldn't be overhead.....but on the furnace itself. I thought maybe the sound was echoing thru the vents, but if you have separate floor and overhead vents, that shouldn't happen.

http://blog.rvtrax.com/?tag=suburban-furnaces

Any way you can post a pic of where the sound is coming from?

I am curious to know what this problem is and will follow this thread...to see if someone can figure it out for you.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote