Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
Hi guys, been off here a while. Had a great camping season. We're out this weekend for one last trip and it's cold!

Last night around 9pm I fired up the furnace. Ran without a problem till around 11-12 when we headed to bed. Woke up at 3am, matress heater was keeping me warm but it was chilly. Turned up thermostat, all the way to 90, wouldn't come on. Propane gone? Nope, stove lite fine. Breaker or fuse? Nope all good there. Searched here saw someone say turn off thermostat and back on.... Yay it's running again.

Get cozy back in bed, 10 minutes later goes back off. No way I'm up to temp. Well maybe 4-5 times now I've turned it off and on and it only runs about 10 minutes.

Going to be even colder tonight. Any thoughts? Things I can check? I'm not that technical with terminology but I'm semi handy. It's a brand new palomino 213x hybrid. I'll try to find the furnace model
Make sure nothing is blocking any of the registers. Also make sure your stat is set to auto and the fan to high. Suburban has what is called a sail switch that needs to close, it is used to measure air flow. If you do not have enough air moving across the burner it will shut down like you are describing. Its purpose is to keep the furnace from over heating and causing a fire. If anything is keeping the fan from running at full speed it will over heat and shut down. This only takes a few minutes like you are describing. On another currant thread, this one I think:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-it-93756.html

a couple mentioned they had a wasp or hornet nest built in side the heater which caused a problem like yours. Once they cleaned out the furnace it worked fine.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #22

Furnace not blowing hot air.

May have a bad igniter or igniter control circuit board.
MrLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
May have a bad igniter or igniter control circuit board.
Lets hope not and have him check the simple things first. When I bought my 5er, it was used, the dealer guaranteed every thing worked and told me the heater had a problem. They told me they would replace it with a new one when I had time to bring it in. When I went out to look at it I noticed that the person that cleaned the trailer had a bucket sitting on a register.

I still have the "we owe" slip to replace it but it has run faithfully ever sense I moved the bucket! That was this past spring. Some day I might tell them about it but I am in no hurry. I have run it 7 or 8 times sense I brought it home. Who knows, it might quit tomorrow.

Jim
Old 10-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #24

Could also be a faulty LP control valve. Had to replace mine twice in three years. No trouble since
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #25

Hey guys. Thanks for all the info. It's lighting but not staying lite. Bad thermo cupped maybe. Takes to dealer rep, restarted several times no luck. Pulled panel and checked for blockage. Everything seems ok, just won't stay going. Will take to dealer, have forever extended waranty on whole camper. Matress heater will have to do for tonight. Will pack some space heaters next time. Very rarely camp in cold weather
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpa098 View Post
Hey guys. Thanks for all the info. It's lighting but not staying lite. Bad thermo cupped maybe. Takes to dealer rep, restarted several times no luck. Pulled panel and checked for blockage. Everything seems ok, just won't stay going. Will take to dealer, have forever extended waranty on whole camper. Matress heater will have to do for tonight. Will pack some space heaters next time. Very rarely camp in cold weather
Please be sure to let us know what the dealer finds. It may help someone else down the road. Sorry we couldn't help.

Electric heaters can be "life savers" but you still want the furnace in running order for those days the heater can't keep up.

Jim
Old 10-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #27

I'll let you know what I find out. Even if I never need it again, it's brand new, It should work. Didn't get as cold last night, matress heater had me sweating it put off so much heat
Old 05-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #28

Long over due reply or follow up. Not long after that trip I was winterizing the camper and the furnace worked fine for an hour. Just recently I had my warranty inspection and had them check the furnace, ran fine for 3 hours. May never know what was wrong. Just hope it works next time I need it, but will bring a space heater just in case
Old 10-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #29

new update.... history

1) bought new camper spring 2015
2)fall 2015 went to Halloween event, was cold, furnace ran for a few hours then quit and never worked again that weekend.
3) winterizing fall 2015 furnace worked fine
4) spring 2016, warranty inspection, dealer inspected and tested the furnace, worked fine for several hours

5) this past weekend, same Halloween event, same campground and same site... worked for a few hours and quit never to work again for the weekend. mattress heaters and small space heat kept us warm, although it wasn't that cold

Hum maybe its that site's electric, got home, plugged in and it lit up. left it running, went back out and it was off, figured ok its at temp, cranked the thermo to 90, would not come back on.

something is definitely wrong. fingers crossed it wont work when i take it to the dealer. some times it wont light, some times it lights but once hitting temp in will not come back on later as the temp drops. driving me crazy.

Tags
furnace, suburban