Old 07-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

suburban oven won't stay lit

I can lite the pilot lite fine. And when I turn the main burner on it lights and then goes out after about two or three min.And then I lite it again and same thing happens I would like to fix it my self rather then take it back to the dealer. If any one has had this similar problem or knows what might be wrong please let me know thanks

Old 07-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Do other gas appliances work ??

If not, the propane tank may be to blame. There is a safety device on the propane tanks that may be the problem. Turn off the stove and all appliances, and shut off both propane tanks. Allow a couple of minutes, then slowly turn the propane tanks back on.

Check out this article: http://www.motleyrvrepair.com/propan...ty_and_use.htm

Scroll about 1/2 way down the page to "How to Fix the Situation". The 2 paragraphs above that explain what is happening with the flow limiting device.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #3

Mtnguy yes I lit the water heater and the burners on the stove and they worked fine my DW said it sounded like it was sputtering gas before it went out
Old 07-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Does the water heater still work on gas ?? If so, then it would not be problem suggested in my previous post, unless you have turned the propane tanks off since your water heater last fired.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdefeo1 View Post
I can lite the pilot lite fine. And when I turn the main burner on it lights and then goes out after about two or three min.And then I lite it again and same thing happens I would like to fix it my self rather then take it back to the dealer. If any one has had this similar problem or knows what might be wrong please let me know thanks
We had the same issue with the oven in our 2010 SUL 8315BSS. The main control assembly at the front, top (behind the knobs) was defective and was replaced in it's entirety. Has worked fine ever since. (This was a couple of years ago, so hope I am remembering this correctly !!)

...VTX-Al
Old 07-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #6

I would verify the propane level in the tank

it could also be one of the pigtails -

I had a similar issue where I could run the stove top but if I ran the stove top and the BBQ grill - it would make a loud hissing noise at the regulator and then putter and shut off.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #7

Thanks for all the advice. I think I didn't explain the problem right .first of all the appliances work fine even the oven so propane isn't the issue the problem is after the oven lites . Here's whats happens the pilot lites fine then the burner lites and the oven works great but after 3or5 min. the pilot starts to sputter and then the pilot goes out and the burner stays lit. so gas flow doesn't seam to be the problem? Some times the burner goes out to. Then If I wait 5 min. and do it all again it just keeps doing it .Could it be the thermal couple?Or no because the pilot and burner work fine for a few min. Thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Since you have a 2013 unit, it is about time to take your camper back to the dealer for warranty work.

The thermocoupler above the pilot light usually needs to have the flame of the pilot light in direct contact to keep the safety valve open,which allows the burner to operate. The heat from the burner might keep enough heat on the thermocoupler to accomplish that, but then eventually the thermocoupler could cool down enough to shut the safety valve without the direct flame contact of the pilot light. It would be interesting to see if a higher oven temperature might keep the safety valve open.

Don't have any idea why the pilot light would go out.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #9

I read on another forum it's the pilot burner. I just ordered the pilot burner and will reply back once I receive it and get installed. I replaced the whole burner knob assembly with no luck. Here is a link to the other post. http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=58271.0 here's to hoping this fixes the issue.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:39 PM   #10

Will it do it with the oven open or does the door have to be closed to have the main burner ignite. The reason I ask, in the past, some ovens have failed to vent properly through the oven door.