Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Suburban Range Oven

I have a Suburban Range oven which I’ve used 5 times. Now when I light the pilot in the oven, the flame gets large and I cannot adjust it. The burners on the stove top work fine. Any idea what it could be?
__________________

Jhasenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 8,600
What year is the Suburban and does it have the piezo-electric lighter for the oven?

My understanding from an explanation at a R/V show is the very newer models that use the peizo lighter have a larger pilot flame that is designed to only be lit/remain on when the oven is in use. When the control knob is turned to off, the pilot goes out and there really isn't a 'Pilot' setting.

The older ovens had a pilot setting and a pilot flame that could be lit and on for days if necessary.
__________________

__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Suburban Range Oven

It is a 2018 and it does not have the electric spark option.
Jhasenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 8,600
So were you able to adjust the pilot flame size before?

I have never seen that ability.

It's either been on or off in all the many R/Vs I've owned and the flame size was whatever the flame size was, coming from the non adjustable pilot orifice.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
So were you able to adjust the pilot flame size before?

I have never seen that ability.

It's either been on or off in all the many R/Vs I've owned and the flame size was whatever the flame size was, coming from the non adjustable pilot orifice.
X2
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Suburban Range Oven

Yes, I would light it as usual in the oven at the pilot/thermocouple. Wait a few seconds and release the knob. When I adjust the knob where the flame moves up that long metal tube that is when the flame grows and I cannot control it without shutting off. I was able to use it for 5 times before it started this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	616E457D-84C9-4756-AB82-849980B82EA8.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	193909  
Jhasenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 6,153
That flame on the burner looks pretty normal to me. Does it shut off when the oven reaches temp?

Are you saying that the pilot flame gets bigger once the main burner lights or is it the main flame that you think is too big?
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
No the flame in the picture is what happens when I try to set the temp control. It doesn’t matter if I set it at 350 or 450 the flame stays the same. It is way too big of a flame. The only way I can lower the flame is to shut off the flame to just the pilot light.
Jhasenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 8,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhasenkamp View Post
Yes, I would light it as usual in the oven at the pilot/thermocouple. Wait a few seconds and release the knob. When I adjust the knob where the flame moves up that long metal tube that is when the flame grows and I cannot control it without shutting off. I was able to use it for 5 times before it started this.
I don't believe you have an issue.

Like the pilot, when the oven lights, it is on full flame until the oven gets to temperature. Then, the THERMOSTAT regulates the flame to maintain oven temperature. The knob DOES NOT adjust the flame per se, it simply sets the thermostat.

Here is an excerpt from Suburban's service & repair manual (after the pilot is lit)...

2. Operation of the Oven Burner
a. Turn the oven control knob counter-clockwise to the
desired setting. Oven burner will come on immediately
and the oven burner will stay on until it reaches the
desired setting. Then, the oven burner flame will decrease
in size. This is normal for this type of thermostat and this
flame size will maintain a constant temperature within
the oven.
NOTE: Oven thermostat was calibrated at the factory and is
not field adjustable.
3. To Shut Off Oven Burner:
a. Turn oven control knob clockwise to “Pilot On” position.
At this position, the oven pilot will remain lit.
4. To Shut Off Oven Pilot:
a. Slightly depress knob and turn to “OFF”. At this position,
the oven pilot will go out
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 10,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I don't believe you have an issue.

Like the pilot, when the oven lights, it is on full flame until the oven gets to temperature. Then, the THERMOSTAT regulates the flame to maintain oven temperature. The knob DOES NOT adjust the flame per se, it simply sets the thermostat.


Here is an excerpt from Suburban's service & repair manual (after the pilot is lit)...

2. Operation of the Oven Burner
a. Turn the oven control knob counter-clockwise to the
desired setting. Oven burner will come on immediately
and the oven burner will stay on until it reaches the
desired setting. Then, the oven burner flame will decrease
in size. This is normal for this type of thermostat and this
flame size will maintain a constant temperature within
the oven.
NOTE: Oven thermostat was calibrated at the factory and is
not field adjustable.
3. To Shut Off Oven Burner:
a. Turn oven control knob clockwise to “Pilot On” position.
At this position, the oven pilot will remain lit.
4. To Shut Off Oven Pilot:
a. Slightly depress knob and turn to “OFF”. At this position,
the oven pilot will go out
I agree with what 5picker wrote in what I highlighted. The oven runs near-max gas until the set temp. is reached; then the gas flow is reduced.
__________________

__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 29; booked = 12
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
suburban

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.