Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
StepanFetchit

Suburban SF-42F forced air heating unit stopped working all of a sudden.

I've checked intake and exhaust for wasps, mud dobbers, bugs, spiders and all is perfectly clear of any obstructions. I'm a full timer and heater worked great since 2007 when I bought it. The heater turns on and runs air for about 30 seconds and then shuts off. Is it time to replace it or is there something else I can check?
Rdeemat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdeemat View Post
I've checked intake and exhaust for wasps, mud dobbers, bugs, spiders and all is perfectly clear of any obstructions. I'm a full timer and heater worked great since 2007 when I bought it. The heater turns on and runs air for about 30 seconds and then shuts off. Is it time to replace it or is there something else I can check?
When a furnace turns on, the first thing that happens is the blower runs. Then the furnace ignites the propane. If the furnace goes through three igniting cycles (you will hear a series of clicks from the igniter, a pause, and will repeat two more times) and does not light, the furnace will go into protect and shut off.

If during the thirty seconds the exhaust from the furnace isn't warm, that's another way to determine that the furnace is not lighting.

First thing to check is that your tanks are not empty (I know, it's silly but this is about 30% of why furnaces don't fire)

Second, you could have a cracked ignitor, that would cause the arc to contact the nearest ground (furnace frame) instead of next to/in front of the propane orifice.

With out getting too technical, there are a few circuits that could also cause this, which are not expensive fixes (including a cracked ignitor) but if you don't have experience working on furnaces I suggest that you take it to a dealer.

Most likely, the parts needed and including the labor will be cheaper than replacing the entire furnace.
email is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:47 PM   #3

Also if the sail switch does not detect the air moving (no air moving, or broken switch), the furnace will not ignite. And I'm presuming here but not certain that it will then shut off.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
StepanFetchit

Thanks for those tips, I downloaded the Suburban Service manual on this website and will proceed to pull the heater out. Just glad it's spring time and not the dead of winter.
Rdeemat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, suburban