Old 07-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
Subwoofer Add-On?

I have a MicroLite 23LB with the Genesis 2.0 system in it. I am underwhelmed with the sound quality and thinking about adding a subwoofer. I was looking at the Concertone SW-BOX4, but it does not look that quality and they want to charge $40 for shipping (can't find it anywhere other than the Concertone site). I was considering the following, but want to get the group input first.

8" inch Woofer Subwoofer Speaker Bass Tube Car Audio Stereo Sound Sub Enclosure 68888708692 | eBay

If you have been successful at adding your own subwoofer, would you mind sharing the following?

1. Where did you install the subwoofer?
2. What brand and model did you use?

wdbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
Bumping this thread. Interested in adding a sub also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

RiverBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
wdbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
I have a Rockwood 2109s with the Genesis 2.0 and was also underwhelmed with the "Tinny" sound. I found a small non-powered subwoofer on eBay for under $25. It measured approx. 8"x8"x8" and fit on the floor underneath the stereo. Although the Genesis has subwoofer wiring, it did not have any wires attached to the pins on the plug. So I ran small gauge wire to the subwoofer pins and "crimped" them using a small awl to hold them in place. I then connected them to the subwoofer and attached the subwoofer to the cabinet wall using industrial strength velcro. When I listened to the setup the difference was pretty subtle until I increased the Bass setting to 7 (the maximum). I could really hear a difference and tried it both with and without the subwoofer. Even at the 7 setting it won't rock your camper or disturb the neighbors, but it really rounds out the sound, making it fuller and richer. After doing an A/B comparison, my wife who was happy before the addition said the difference was dramatic and did not want me to disconnect it. You can use any subwoofer with the Genesis, but the specs state it should be 4 ohms (8 ohms allowable). I prefer a non-powered one since it doesn't require an outlet, and just remember to "boost" the bass setting to suit your personal taste.
GJCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Don't do it. The sub sucks as bad as the unit....and all a good sub will do is overwhelm the sucko little speakers. First thing I would try is REAL main speakers. Due to depth issues, you may need some speaker spacers for this. : Metra 82-4300 1-Inch Universal Speaker Adapter Brackets : Component Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics
You can stack 'em if you need more. You can also get them made out of mdf which can be painted or finished as you see fit. Car Speaker Spacers & Rings at Sonic Electronix
I think you would see a huge difference in sound quality with a pair of Polk or Infinity 6-6.5" coax speakers. The Polks are shallow with 1.6" mounting depth so a spacer would only require slightly more than 1/2 inch depth or another space. Sound GREAT for the money. Polk Audio db651 6.5" dB Series Marine Grade Car Speakers

Now...once you have your main sound reasonably decent...then you may decide to add a subwoofer. You definitely NEED a powered sub since the Genesis power is insufficient to produce solid bass without distortion. There are a number of small powered subs on the market that are decent...I link to this one just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:
Kenwood KSC-SW11 Low-Profile Amplified Subwoofer + Enclosure 150W

The Genesis is not your BIG problem...the installed speakers are. Replace them with real speakers before you look to add crappy bass to crappy midrange & treble!
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote