Old 08-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
Surge protector issue

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I lost half my 50 amp service. The other day our front AC quit working. Well after stripping down the unit and teching everything I could I figured it was time to call in a service tech. A short time later I realized our hot water heater was also off. The only thing the two have in common (I thought) was they were both on a 15/20 amp dual breaker. Tested the breaker and sure enough, no power. In fact, there was no power on the next breaker either. So, I'm off to the store to get new breakers and keep wondering why 2 breakers would go bad so quickly. Then I realize that the breakers are both on the same arm of my 50 amp panel and sure enough the whole arm is dead. Now I'm down to it being a power problem between the panel and the power box. The box tested okay, my cords okay, why is only one line dead? Even though the surge protector said L1 and L2 were fine I still had a dead line. I took off the surge protector and everything is great again. Still being a coward, I reattached the surge protector and still running great. I have learned a lot about how 50 amp service is wired in the last day but I am not am closer to why I lost half my circuit (or how I got it back). Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gary Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
Check all of your connections, if you have a loose one and it arcs it can cause a fire.

Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
I checked all the connections, ran continuity checks on my lines, tested the power connections. I cannot find any reason to lose half the circuit and then just get it back again.
Gary Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
you did not say what type of surge protector. I had a situation exactly the same as yours and it was related the a progressive industries hardwired 50 amp EMS box. if this is what you have just say so and i'll tell you what the issue was and how it was corrected. if this is not what you have I won't waste your time.
2015 cardinal model 3825fl
2015 dodge ram 3500 dually
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote