Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #21

We have had the portable TRC 50A for a couple of years and I really can’t recommend it due to a power surge we had in our new CC last summer.

The situation has turned into a bit of a nightmare for us since FR decided to take the low road and not warranty it despite my hiring an electrician who found an open neutral in the power cord and then the dealer also found the same thing. FR has said there was no issue with the cord and will no longer warranty my 2016 trailer.

All that said we had the TRC in place when we had the power surge but since the electrical issue was after the TRC unit, the surge protector didn’t/couldn't protect the trailer. Had I had a permanent EMS mounted in the trailer it could/would have saved us.

We did a lot of research on this and went with the PI HW50C, I mounted it in the bay area near the vacuum cleaner and ran the monitor into the cabinet next to the switch panel.

Now prior to turning on the power at the pedestal we shut all of the breakers off and verify we have no issues, then power on the trailer. We have not had a single issue since.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:48 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We have had the portable TRC 50A for a couple of years and I really can’t recommend it due to a power surge we had in our new CC last summer.

The situation has turned into a bit of a nightmare for us since FR decided to take the low road and not warranty it despite my hiring an electrician who found an open neutral in the power cord and then the dealer also found the same thing. FR has said there was no issue with the cord and will no longer warranty my 2016 trailer.

All that said we had the TRC in place when we had the power surge but since the electrical issue was after the TRC unit, the surge protector didn’t/couldn't protect the trailer. Had I had a permanent EMS mounted in the trailer it could/would have saved us.

We did a lot of research on this and went with the PI HW50C, I mounted it in the bay area near the vacuum cleaner and ran the monitor into the cabinet next to the switch panel.

Now prior to turning on the power at the pedestal we shut all of the breakers off and verify we have no issues, then power on the trailer. We have not had a single issue since.

This wasn't so much the make or brand of the unit.
Simply the difference between the placement of the unit.
The difference between hard wired and portable.

It's not the brand fault, as progressive makes portable as well.
Both would have netted the same result.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
This wasn't so much the make or brand of the unit.
Simply the difference between the placement of the unit.
The difference between hard wired and portable.

It's not the brand fault, as progressive makes portable as well.
Both would have netted the same result.
You are 100% correct, we have no issues with the TRC system only where it is located in the electrical system. Had the issue been at the pedestal I'm sure it would have saved us.

My point was that had we had a permanently mounted EMS inside the trailer it would have caught the open neutral at the end of the shore power cord.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
DDC get the hard wired Progressive Industries EMS and bring it to the Tadpole Rally and I'll install it for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan, will you install mine at the tadpole rally, be glad to pay you for your service, just not one of my expertize....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #25
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
AquaMan, will you install mine at the tadpole rally, be glad to pay you for your service, just not one of my expertize....
Why did you have to bring up that horrible word I was glad to hear him offer to do it without the mention of renumeration must be a heritage thing in me but then again i never ask for payment for anything I offer to do.
I'm sure we can put yours in at the tadpole rally, we're bound to get a good day, last year was great weather.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Would be glad to, no payment necessary!

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Why did you have to bring up that horrible word I was glad to hear him offer to do it without the mention of renumeration must be a heritage thing in me but then again i never ask for payment for anything I offer to do.
I'm sure we can put yours in at the tadpole rally, we're bound to get a good day, last year was great weather.
That's just the way I am, never expect anything for nothing. If someone asked me to do something I will do it for free but I do not take people for granted. I appreciate anything that is done for me, even if my appreciation is shown with a bottle of booze or a 12 pack. That is just me. I just don't like taking people for granted, hope that doesn't upset you, it's just me....

Old 03-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Would be glad to, no payment necessary!

Thanks alot I wanted the hard wire, If you can tell me what you need I will be glad to bring all the stuff with me. Many folks have said that they put plugs on the connection incase it go's out, I can go buy the 30 amp plug ends if that is what you recommend. Want to make sure I have everything so your time is not wasted. And thank you very much, I just don't want a dealer do it, and you know why that is......

Old 03-20-2016, 10:18 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Don,

One thing to remember about the PI vs TRC discussion, as a fellow Canadian, you'll run into the same issue I did. Getting a PI shipped across the border is going to be exorbitant. Most places I saw that did sell them ended up being almost double the price they were in the US after the shipping and brokerage charges got added.

So if you're going to go this way, I'd see if a fellow frog might be willing to let you ship it to their house, and then bring it to you at the rally.

Alternatively, the Camping World in Belleville is just 20 mins or so outside of Detroit down I-94 where you can walk in and pick up a TRC off the shelf (when they're in stock). That's how I ended up with a TRC instead, despite the PI being the better unit (as per the number of acclamations on here).

Old 03-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #30

Ship it to me, ship it to me!!!!
Hey Auqaman, if I'm lucky enough to come up with a free 50 amp ESC, could you help an old froggy out?
Your buddy,
Lowbubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Don,

One thing to remember about the PI vs TRC discussion, as a fellow Canadian, you'll run into the same issue I did. Getting a PI shipped across the border is going to be exorbitant. Most places I saw that did sell them ended up being almost double the price they were in the US after the shipping and brokerage charges got added.

So if you're going to go this way, I'd see if a fellow frog might be willing to let you ship it to their house, and then bring it to you at the rally.

Alternatively, the Camping World in Belleville is just 20 mins or so outside of Detroit down I-94 where you can walk in and pick up a TRC off the shelf (when they're in stock). That's how I ended up with a TRC instead, despite the PI being the better unit (as per the number of acclamations on here).

What could go wrong?
lowbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A 3' section of 8/4 (for 30amp) appliance cord, which you can get at Home Depot. If you want plugs I can put those in also. I've never put them on mine though. For 50 amp service you need 6/4 appliance cord.

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #32
DDC

Quote:
Don,

Thanks but I never ship anything across the border, there are perfectly good pick up places in Port Huron to have stuff shipped to been doing that for years.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #33
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbubba View Post
Ship it to me, ship it to me!!!!
Hey Auqaman, if I'm lucky enough to come up with a free 50 amp ESC, could you help an old froggy out?
Your buddy,
Lowbubba
It's being shipped to you will arrive on the 9th April hope that is ok COD of course
Old 03-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #34

Cool

Quote:
It's being shipped to you will arrive on the 9th April hope that is ok COD of course
My Buddy

What could go wrong?
lowbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I believe you are correct. The one time I used a generator with my camper I had to tie ground to neutral on the cord I made for the generator. Somewhere on the internet i found this solution.
Easiest way around this is to buy or make a neutral-ground bonding plug.
See here:Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone
Old 03-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks but I never ship anything across the border, there are perfectly good pick up places in Port Huron to have stuff shipped to been doing that for years.

Yep, used a place like that in both Port Huron and Detroit in the past. But if I recall, neither one is easy to get to with a rig in tow. So it's either pick it up on a day run, and then pay the taxes bringing it back, or if it's done the weekend of the rally, you'll have your 48 to bring it back under your $800 exemption.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Yep, used a place like that in both Port Huron and Detroit in the past. But if I recall, neither one is easy to get to with a rig in tow. So it's either pick it up on a day run, and then pay the taxes bringing it back, or if it's done the weekend of the rally, you'll have your 48 to bring it back under your $800 exemption.

I don't understand, you mean that if your trailer is in the USA and install it you still have to pay import TAX?..

Old 03-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #38
Retired

Quote:
If I go with a hard-wired one will I still be able to use my generator? I have a 30 amp one on my present trailer but if I plug it into the gen it will not let the power through, I think it has something to do with the floating neutral.
The EMS will display E 2 Open Ground error and not allow power to the RV.

What I did was.... with a spare male plug, wire the neutral and ground together and then plugged it into an empty 110 receptacle on the generator. E 2 error gone...
Attached Images

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Thanks alot I wanted the hard wire, If you can tell me what you need I will be glad to bring all the stuff with me. Many folks have said that they put plugs on the connection incase it go's out, I can go buy the 30 amp plug ends if that is what you recommend. Want to make sure I have everything so your time is not wasted. And thank you very much, I just don't want a dealer do it, and you know why that is......
Aqua man, I will not need the plugs I have just ordered the new by pass pendent incase the unit go's out, so I will not need the plugs...Thanks again, I also have 6' of #10 wire romix to hook it in, is there anything else I should bring.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #40
Retired

Quote:
I don't understand, you mean that if your trailer is in the USA and install it you still have to pay import TAX?..
You would be required to declare it and pay duty if over the limit on your personal exemption.

When returning back to Canada I've often been asked if I repaired or modified my vehicle during my stay in the US.

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote