Old 12-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #1

Tailgater

We purchased a Dish receiver and Tailgater from CW. After trying to program it from our CC, we were advised by the Dish tech who came to our site, that the Tailgater was not powerful enough to get signals from three satellites. Instead, we were told CW SHOULD program it. They refused! The Dish tech used a satellite antenna at our site.

Here's what we SHOULD have done: per Dish, we should have called them, they would have sold us the identical equipment for the same price, installed it and programmed it.

Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL Creeker View Post
We purchased a Dish receiver and Tailgater from CW. After trying to program it from our CC, we were advised by the Dish tech who came to our site, that the Tailgater was not powerful enough to get signals from three satellites. Instead, we were told CW SHOULD program it. They refused! The Dish tech used a satellite antenna at our site.

Here's what we SHOULD have done: per Dish, we should have called them, they would have sold us the identical equipment for the same price, installed it and programmed it.
This sounds hookey to me.

A) if its the same Equipment how could it be "more" powerful?

B) I've "never" heard that a dish or tailgater doesn't have enough power to get satellites.

C) there's no programming to be done on a tailgater.

I can't wrap my head around the line this dish guy was feeding you.

I occasionally use a good ole dish to watch satellite while camping by manually tunning it in myself..... I guess I have more power to tune in my ole 5 year old dish....

If I'm lazy I use the wineguard carry out "not made by dish network" which more or less the same as a tailgater.

Turbs

Old 12-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #3

What I said was PROGRAM. The tailgater isn't strong enough to get enough satellites in order to PROGRAM the receiver. The RECEIVER must be programmed. You don't have Dish, I'll bet.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
What I said was PROGRAM. The tailgater isn't strong enough to get enough satellites in order to PROGRAM the receiver. The RECEIVER must be programmed. You don't have Dish, I'll bet.
I do have dish .
I've had it for 18 years.

Its still garbage that he told you the tailgater isn't "strong" enough.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This is all the " fancy programing " that is required of a tailgater.

Turbs
Old 12-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
What I said was PROGRAM. The tailgater isn't strong enough to get enough satellites in order to PROGRAM the receiver. The RECEIVER must be programmed.
I'm not sure I understand this. The satellite antennas (like the tailgater) are passive, and get their power from the receiver itself via the coax (which can be a problem sometimes when using the wrong coax (RG59) or if it has loose/broken connectors).

Here is the FAQ's on the Tailgater, which will also show you which receivers are compatible with the Tailgater, so you can check to make sure that is not the problem.

Portable Satellite TV Antenna - TV Outdoors For Tailgater | DISH

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #7

Youíre being fed a load of crap OL Creeker. You werenít talking to DISH you were talking to a contractor or local franchise for DISH that is trying to get extra bucks from you.

Anytime we wouldnít use our tailgater for more than a couple of weeks it would have to be reprogrammed. Many times we would have to call the DISH 800 number to reprogram. Also every time we moved locations we would have to have the receiver run a scan again.

HINTS: It actually helps to set the Tailgater a couple of feet off the ground.

As wmtire mentioned you MUST use the correct co-axial cable from the wall plate connector in your RV to the receiver. (Info in the owners manual)

You have to have a clear shot to the Southern sky. If you donít youíre not going to get any signals.

All the information you need to set up the Tailgater is in the owners manuals.

Most DISH operators at the 800 number are clueless, be sure to ask for someone familiar with the RV Tailgater program.

We gave up on our Tailgater because most of the time we didnít have a clear shot to a southern sky and even when we did we would only get two of the three satellites. It was rare to get the satellite that carried the HD programming so we usually had to settle for standard definition.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #8

My Tailgater came with the correct coax cable, 50 feet of it. So hopefully that isn't the problem here. As others said, there is not really any programming if you have the right receiver, AND a clear view of the sky in the direction of the satellites. You do have to go through a couple of procedures which come up automatically once you power the system up.

Creeker, do you have a smartphone? If so, I'll post a couple of free apps which make it easier to figure out where to set your Tailgater to get a clear view of the sats. This comes into play when you have trees at your campsite.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
This sounds hookey to me.

A) if its the same Equipment how could it be "more" powerful?

B) I've "never" heard that a dish or tailgater doesn't have enough power to get satellites.

C) there's no programming to be done on a tailgater.

I can't wrap my head around the line this dish guy was feeding you.

I occasionally use a good ole dish to watch satellite while camping by manually tunning it in myself..... I guess I have more power to tune in my ole 5 year old dish....

If I'm lazy I use the wineguard carry out "not made by dish network" which more or less the same as a tailgater.

Turbs
X2 on this.

Part of what he said is good advice, buy directly from Dish, I saw the Tailgater at a local RV dealer at over $500, got mine from Dish from their web site for $350 (over a year ago).

I have had no problems getting all 3 three sats as long as there is no trees or such in the way. The Tailgater gets it's power from the receiver the same way the dish on your home base unit does.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #10

I bought the tailgater package from Walmart.com. It included the receiver and cables also.