Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #21
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
We bought a tailgater last December and found in Florida that the satellites are Southwest even though the documentation said to point South.

As you move South, the angle is higher in the sky so I would think that in the Carolinas you would clear a lot of low obstructions.

Bill
I think it is not a tailgater issue but maybe just a limit to the satellite in general? I know it worked well at home with no trees and this is new to me so it might just be a learning curve

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #22

I been thinking about a tailgater, But I just read a post that a person puts his like 150' from his camper. I have also seen this at CG. I always wounder how would you stop someone from stealing it at night? People are afraid to use a portable EMS for that reason and these things just sit on the ground. At least the pedestal is next to your unit. How do you secure it is my question. All they have to do is cut the coax and there gone.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #23

Don't know about tailgater. My pathway X2 (should I ever make it work) has a cutout by the handle to run a chain through. I'll have to chain it to the RV, a tree, picnic table, something.

FWIW, I also just 'manufactured' a tripod device to set it on. I took the tripod from the Direct TV Dish (although they're only $15), a chain link fence post, welded a flat piece to top of chain length fence, and cut a piece of composite 5/4 decking to fit the bottom of the Pathway. With 1/4 bolts, I can now set up the tripod and have a flat place to get the Pathway up in the air and off the ground.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

It has a small hole to pass a padlock through. I just put the chain through the handle since it did not anymore reinforced than the lock hole.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
Has anyone had the manual and switched to the tailgater? Reason I'm asking is I have a manual and am thinking about the tailgater but reading this thread is causing me to wonder if it would be the right move.

Going to a auto from a manual (to me anyway) is a no brainer. The OP is having issues because of trees blocking LOS, this has nothing to do with the tailgator, a manual dish pointed into the forest will provide the same results.

To the OP, when using the Dishpointer app, make sure you compass on the app isn't locked, if it is that might give you a false reading.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #26
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmerinwi View Post
Going to a auto from a manual (to me anyway) is a no brainer. The OP is having issues because of trees blocking LOS, this has nothing to do with the tailgator, a manual dish pointed into the forest will provide the same results.

To the OP, when using the Dishpointer app, make sure you compass on the app isn't locked, if it is that might give you a false reading.
Ok. I again am new with satellite. I do not think it is locked as I can scan all sorts of stuff. The satellite question is because they show as echostar 15 echostar 10 and so forth not 110 119. However I noticed Some were at the 110 and 119 and so on compass degress locations.. southeast, not sw as someone had said.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #27

If I'm not mistaking Dish is SE and Direct SW.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #28

Even if you have a perfectly clear view of the southeastern sky I don't think you can do anything to make the Tailgater "look" in that direction. If it can happen I'd like to know how to make it happen.

I call Dish for another problem and was told the satellites it uses are stationary over Texas. When I'm out with mine I point it at Texas. It works unless there is a tree between me and Texas.

I think they would sell a lot more of these to RV'ers if they included a chainsaw. In addition to trees, snow and ice will also cause poor reception.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It's SW where I am. Dish uses 110, 119, and 129. The Dish App for RV on my iphone shows lots of satellites, but Dish told me, the only ones that matter for them are 110, 119 and 129.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #30
Who Dares, Wins

My home satellite faces sw. But the app shows sats for dish se and sw... this is way to complicated. Thank god for auto locate!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #31

I have tried Dish before with our VuQube and sometimes can't pick up all the satellites because of trees. This is why I switched to Directv and only have 1 satellite to pick up. I was questioned by a camper how I kept my VuQube so close to my trailer(within 5') and his was about 50' from his trailer. I told him I had Directv and then he knew.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote