Old 08-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
R u saying that u use a shorter cable from the tailgater, i am using 50ft and i can get a signal by bypassing the trailer pe wire system and connect to the receiver, then i can get a signal to the tv. I called forest river and they do not have any drawings they can send me.

Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
RG58 is commonly used to wire tt's it is not suitable for satellite reception. The sat works best with minimal signal loss with double braided RG6 cable. You might want to remove the outside connector plate and see what type of cable is installed. RG6 is fatter then RG58.

Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #13
[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	amp3.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	18981[/ATTACH]
Modify your Tv amp Like this. When using sat hook receiver to out side cable when yaing antenna use other. Amp is plocking receiver voltage to LNB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amp7.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	18980  
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #14
Bypass the Booster

Jim44646 is correct. The rcvr must push an 18V signal to the LNB in the dish (tailgater). This seems to be a common problems in campers not wired for SAT; this 18V gets blocked at the antenna booster. You can use any variation of splitters and jumpers to bypass the booster or run a dedicated cable.

In my old TT, I installed a SAT-rated splitter behind the booster plate on the incoming coax. Then I used two short lengths of cable: one from the splitter to the original incoming connection on the back of the booster plate, and the other from the splitter to a new wall plate that I installed next to the booster plate. The new wall plate is where the SAT rcvr gets plugged in because it bypasses the booster and the dish can now be plugged into the outside park connection.

For the connections to the TV, you can use coax from the booster wall plate and use a different type of connection from the rcvr (RCA, HDMI...). Then you just select the right input source when you turn the TV on. If your TV does not have multiple inputs available, you can run coax from both wall plates into a SAT-rated AB switch and run a single coax from that switch to your TV. Then you manually select your source at the switch.

Now open a beer, kick your feet up, and commence to do what we thought we'd be doing when we bought our rigs!
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #15
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz
You are right when u said it could be the signal booster for the antenia , as was the case with our travel trailer we had to disconnect the sat. cable from the signal booster and connect this cable to the sat receiver,and then i could get a signal in from my dish. now we have a 5th wheel and we r having the same problem.
You specify cable hook your 5er pre wired for sat or just cable? A cable splitter inside your walls will not work for a satellite thus if this is the case you either need direct line to your receiver or find that splitter which is usually near the booster plate and bypass it. All that is moot if you are pre wired for sat but should be a different hook up then the cable one
2012 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SRW w/FX4
2013 Forest River Sierra 365SAQ
Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
To much, the Sat box has to power the LNB and the max distance it can drive is 50'. In your case you have it going 50' + a connector, and other x" feet to a second connector at the TV location + a jumper to the box. Get your self a shorter outside cable and test that first.
If that does not solve you problem then you need to make sure they use the correct split and connectors.
My owners manual says 200 ft of cable can be used?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
Thanks, I will check on this information? Rg58 must be a cheaper wire, when the sales person tells u that the trailer is wired for satellite, it's only a sales pitch