Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #1

tailgater satellite problems

We bought a tailgater satellite system for our new 2012 rockwood. The only way it will work properly is to hook it up direct from the satellite thru a window directely to the receiver. If we hook it up to the outside wall plate marked satellite the system does not communicate properly with the satellite dish. What's the problem? we have check continuity on all connections and they are fine = does it have something to do with the power booster for the air ant. we have it shut off maybe we need to by pass the connection plate inside the RV and dedicate one just to the satellite cable RG6

Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #2

How much cable did you have between the dish and the camper connection on the outside?

2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #3

we are using the cable sent with the tailgater I think it is 50 ft
Old 06-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #4

To much, the Sat box has to power the LNB and the max distance it can drive is 50'. In your case you have it going 50' + a connector, and other x" feet to a second connector at the TV location + a jumper to the box. Get your self a shorter outside cable and test that first.
If that does not solve you problem then you need to make sure they use the correct split and connectors.
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #5

I have a winegard 1518 and using 150 feet and works perfect. My old trailer was not pre wired for satellite which may be your issue. We had to go behind the plate in the living room and disconnect a cable splitter which would not accept satellite signals. Now with it directly wired it works perfect.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysfan
We bought a tailgater satellite system for our new 2012 rockwood. The only way it will work properly is to hook it up direct from the satellite thru a window directely to the receiver. If we hook it up to the outside wall plate marked satellite the system does not communicate properly with the satellite dish. What's the problem? we have check continuity on all connections and they are fine = does it have something to do with the power booster for the air ant. we have it shut off maybe we need to by pass the connection plate inside the RV and dedicate one just to the satellite cable RG6
Hook it up again through camper.
Then do this
Menu
Installation
Point dish
Check switch

See if you get an error on switches.
They should all be green when test is over.

I have 100' of cable and works fine.
2014 nights camped (16)
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...58-albums.html
f1100turbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #7

We couldn't get our Tailgater to work either when we first purchased it. The problem turned out to be the cheap short piece of coax that we connected from the wall plate to the receiver. When we replaced it with a high quality RG6 cable our tailgater worked perfectly.

BTW, we have used 100 feet of cable from the Tailgate to the trailer without any problems.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
Honda 2000i genny
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Buffalohunter
Thumbs up Good Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
We couldn't get our Tailgater to work either when we first purchased it. The problem turned out to be the cheap short piece of coax that we connected from the wall plate to the receiver. When we replaced it with a high quality RG6 cable our tailgater worked perfectly.

BTW, we have used 100 feet of cable from the Tailgate to the trailer without any problems.
Good information, I placed an order for the Tailgater today and will be installing it as soon as it arrives. Now I will check the interior cables to see if they are RG6.

2012 outings California 28 days, Oregon 10
2013 8 days so far (not near enough)
Buffalohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #9

I am having the same problem with my tailgater satellite dish, can not get a signal inside trailer using the pre wired cable hook up, can only get reception by direct hook up from dish to receiver. what is the problem?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #10

You are right when u said it could be the signal booster for the antenia , as was the case with our travel trailer we had to disconnect the sat. cable from the signal booster and connect this cable to the sat receiver,and then i could get a signal in from my dish. now we have a 5th wheel and we r having the same problem.