Old 02-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #1

Tailgater satellite tv

I just bought the tailgater pay as you go for my travel trailer and was wondering how do you mount the cube to the rv so the cube doesn't move due to the wind? The cube is fairly lightweight and wouldn't take much wind to move the cube around losing the signal. I rather not start drilling holes in the roof. I would like to keep it on the roof because it would be out of the way and a clear view to the sky. Has anyone mounted their dish to the roof and how does that work? Thanks.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #2

When I put my tailgater on the roof I bungie the handle to the air conditioner shroud louvers. Never had an issue when high winds occur.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I wouldn't mount it to the roof.
More often then you think you'll need to move it to get a better view of the southern sky.
Normally ground placement is fine.
Old coot has mounts for his ladder and pin box.
I like to set mine on the dining room slide if applicable.
Also making mounts for pin box and ladder.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

I don't have a mounted ladder on my tt. My back up is to mount it on the ground, but this is an easy access for theft. If I use the roof it will be out of the way and harder to steal. I plan on getting a lock/cable to help with theft. Might consider the top of the slide out or bungy to something fixed. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

The main thing is to be able to get a clear shot to the south. We just finished a 3 month stay in FL and either mounted it on the pin box when headed south or on the rear ladder when headed north and got excellent reception. Love the Tailgater!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01337.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	70041   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01223.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	70042   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01222.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	70043   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01336.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	448.4 KB
ID:	70044  
Old 02-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #6

How did you mount the base to the cube unit? The holes don't have threads. I don't have a fifth wheel to use the pin box or a ladder to mount it to.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Just ran a 1/4-20 UNC tap in them and used ss bolts.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #8

Is that mounting plate custom made? You should patent that and sell that system. I wish I had a ladder mount. Thinking about manufacturing a plate similar to that one or cut out a piece of plywood for the base, but still need to mount it to something fixed so it doesn't move.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #9

Hi JWHybrd2B I have used the tailgater for the past 3 years. I have a relatively flat roof on my trailer and have not had any trouble with moving. TURBS is right you need a good view of the southern sky and may need to move the tailgater around the camp site to get a good signal. As fare as theft is concerned I went to the local big box store bought an 8-10 foot plastic coated steal security cable and padlocks to secure it to the trailer or any immobile object. I secure it even if it is on the roof! I have never had any of possession removed from a camp site but that is why I lock stuff up to keep honest people honest
Hope this is useful Tim
Old 02-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHybrid2B View Post
Is that mounting plate custom made? You should patent that and sell that system. I wish I had a ladder mount. Thinking about manufacturing a plate similar to that one or cut out a piece of plywood for the base, but still need to mount it to something fixed so it doesn't move.
Everything but the Tailgater is my design and custom made. I designed it, cut all the pcs out and my oldest son tig welded it all. I also have a tripod about 40" tall I made out of galv. fence posts for the old Dish antenna that I can use if the ladder or pinbox mounts won't work.

Tags
satellite