Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2019, 08:31 AM   #1

Tank/Power indicators and battery disconnect

I have a 2014 Prime Time Tracer 3120 and was prepping it for vacation as we leave next week. My tank and power indicators are not working, nor is the battery disconnect, yet all other power accessories are working fine.

I've checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they are fine. Some of my internet digging is suggesting that it could be the solenoid. I've not checked that yet as I can't find it and will likely end up pulling off a lot of the dust cover under the trailer in my search this weekend.

Everything was working fine when I parked it and winterized it in the fall of 2018. Winterizing included blowing out the lines and removing the batteries. I did replace the batteries this spring with 2 6v batteries (same as I was running before), but that is all.

I am hoping someone might

a) confirm that I am digging in the right direction
b) if not, what should I be looking into?
c) if it is the right direction, where is the most likely location of the solenoid?
d) provide any additional relevant and helpful information

Any assistance is appreciated.

Scott
Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #2

You sure you wired the new 6v batteries right? Wire in parallel to make one 12V system out of them. Just a guess........

Do any other 12v items work if not plugged into shore power? Lights?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurkon View Post
I have a 2014 Prime Time Tracer 3120 and was prepping it for vacation as we leave next week. My tank and power indicators are not working, nor is the battery disconnect, yet all other power accessories are working fine.

I've checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they are fine. Some of my internet digging is suggesting that it could be the solenoid. I've not checked that yet as I can't find it and will likely end up pulling off a lot of the dust cover under the trailer in my search this weekend.

Everything was working fine when I parked it and winterized it in the fall of 2018. Winterizing included blowing out the lines and removing the batteries. I did replace the batteries this spring with 2 6v batteries (same as I was running before), but that is all.

I am hoping someone might

a) confirm that I am digging in the right direction
b) if not, what should I be looking into?
c) if it is the right direction, where is the most likely location of the solenoid?
d) provide any additional relevant and helpful information

Any assistance is appreciated.

Scott
"Battery disconnect not working" - how can you tell? Describe 'not working'. The battery disconnect must be in the connect position for battery-powered items to work.

Have you tried any LED lights?
Have you tried to fire your water heater on propane? It needs battery power.
What do you mean by "the solenoid"? I'm not familiar with that term on a trailer.

EDIT: I like BandJCarm's suggestion.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
"Battery disconnect not working" - how can you tell? Describe 'not working'. The battery disconnect must be in the connect position for battery-powered items to work.

Have you tried any LED lights?
Have you tried to fire your water heater on propane? It needs battery power.
What do you mean by "the solenoid"? I'm not familiar with that term on a trailer.

EDIT: I like BandJCarm's suggestion.
I have a "Battery disconnect" switch in the box where I fill my fresh water or attach to 'city water'. This switch will cut off power from the batteries so not to drain them when the trailer is not is use. I have power regardless of it being pushed in or pulled out.

Yes, I've tried the LED lights on the monitoring panel. That seems the be the key issue in that none of them work, although I can turn on my water pump from the same panel.

From what I understand, the solenoid is an on/off switch that is used in some RV's for directing power and if it were to fail in the 'off' position, I would have no power from the batteries, but a fail in the 'on' position would give me power. However, it may have a fuse that would impact the monitoring system. This is a questionable path though.

It does seem thought that there is a fuse that is blown, yet all my fuses in the fuse box are good and I've even switched them out with new ones.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
You sure you wired the new 6v batteries right? Wire in parallel to make one 12V system out of them. Just a guess........

Do any other 12v items work if not plugged into shore power? Lights?
Yes, all my lights, radio, slides, awning etc... seem to be working
Old 07-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #6

Those led lights may have lost their common ground. Use a multi meter to check.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #7

this is just a stupid thought. i am not familiar with a push / pull battery disconnect switch. and they are not normally located in the water bay. of course i do not know everything so it could be. are you sure that what you are calling the battery disconnect switch is really the disconnect switch. again you say it has not effect between the two positions. these switches can fail, but they are not a high frequency failure item. can you post a picture?

from what has been said it appears that the only thing not working is the display indicator lights. is this true?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
this is just a stupid thought. i am not familiar with a push / pull battery disconnect switch. and they are not normally located in the water bay. of course i do not know everything so it could be. are you sure that what you are calling the battery disconnect switch is really the disconnect switch. again you say it has not effect between the two positions. these switches can fail, but they are not a high frequency failure item. can you post a picture?

from what has been said it appears that the only thing not working is the display indicator lights. is this true?
I am positive that the push/pull is the battery disconnect switch based on the label above it and how it has functioned in the past. Until now, pushing it in (or out, don't remember) would cut power to the unitl.

But, aside from that disconnect switch (not sure if there is a correlation), yes it's a correct statement that the display indicator lights are the only things not working, which is my fresh, grey, black, and battery indicator lights.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:09 AM   #9

ok, one more stupid thought. again i am not an expert!

1. there seems to be a problem with the disconnect switch (solenoid). but that is probably not what is keeping the lights from working.
2. i do not know how the indicator lights are wired from the batteries. it could be possible that they have a separate small power wire that is wired directly to the batteries. several small 'sensor' type items are commonly wired this way. is it possible that you forgot to reconnect this small wire to the batteries when you swamped them out?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
ok, one more stupid thought. again i am not an expert!

1. there seems to be a problem with the disconnect switch (solenoid). but that is probably not what is keeping the lights from working.
2. i do not know how the indicator lights are wired from the batteries. it could be possible that they have a separate small power wire that is wired directly to the batteries. several small 'sensor' type items are commonly wired this way. is it possible that you forgot to reconnect this small wire to the batteries when you swamped them out?
I appreciate all ideas!

I don't think that #2 could be an issue. There are only battery cables attached to the batteries. I will trace the wiring harness though as I do know the hitch jack is wired to the battery cables with a fuse on the wire, so maybe? I'll double check that when I get home later today.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, cat, power, tank