Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #1

Thanks Concertone!!

As expected, I received an email from Bob Fields of Concertone saying , sorry to hear that you need a part , but we can't help you. Of course, we would be glad to sell you another expensive piece of equipment. It's just as well I suppose. From all of the talk on here, I'm better off getting rid of this junk.

I will order one of the Jensen AWM 970 units, then at least I will have something that works, and something you can get support for.

Thanks Concertone
ronp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronp View Post
As expected, I received an email from Bob Fields of Concertone saying , sorry to hear that you need a part , but we can't help you. Of course, we would be glad to sell you another expensive piece of equipment. It's just as well I suppose. From all of the talk on here, I'm better off getting rid of this junk.

I will order one of the Jensen AWM 970 units, then at least I will have something that works, and something you can get support for.

Thanks Concertone
I know exactly how you feel.
I went through 3 different units before the last one failed (just out of warranty).
I went with a home theater system and sent the Concertone to the e-cycler.
I did bounce it around on the driveway a bit first!
I had to do some cabinet mods but it was a lot of fun.
We don't dry camp so not having a 12v unit was not an issue for us.

Bob was not working for them at the time so I had no advocate.
I really don't know what he could have done.
These units are clearly problematic.

Have fun with your retro fit of the Jensen.
That's a nice unit.

Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #3

We can't really expect him to send parts to everyone ... he WORKS for a company and knows of the problems. There has got to be procedures to follow and comply.

I think we have to give him a break, and appreciate the fact that as a representative of a company he is here and listening to us.

We can only hope that he will be able to rectify the problems with these units, in time. It takes time to make changes in a corporation .... it takes time to change mentality across a corporation ...

There is no need to gang up on Bob Fields .... yes we can all get mad at Concertone when ours fails, but bringing it all on one person, in my opinion, will not help anyone ....

I not typing this as a response to the O.P. There were more posts where people take their anger on him. I very strongly prefer that we keep Bob here ....
Old 03-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #4

I'm not ganging up on Bob Fields at all. I am saying however, that its amazing that Concertone can even stay in business. There's absolutely no reason for them not to be able to sell cosmetic parts such as the lid I need. There's also no reason that they can not service these units. It's very obvious that they are out to make huge profits on the unsuspecting consumer. The door for this unit is probably a $5.00 item. They definitely have the parts, because they repair the units that are sent back. In fact, they charge a 150.00 core charge if you don't send the old unit back in. It is obvious that their mode of operation is to gouge the customer, and make much more profit than they should. Bob Fields appears to be a nice person, but he sure works for an outlaw group. If I told my customers what they do, I would be out of business very quickly. Sorry if I have gotten carried away, but that is no way to run a business. I will be changing out to a Jensen unit. Even with a new unit, you will have the same lack of support as soon as it goes out of warranty.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Wow...

I bet if we take a manufacturer roll call you will find most that deal in systems such as we do, do NOT sell replacement parts. We design our units here and build them overseas and guess what, the parts are overseas, NOT here!

Why? Because most people want their American wages, but their Wal-Mart Prices so manufacturers are forced to run razor thin overheads and squeeze the margins as best they can. This hardly positions us or any other manufacturer in the RV Eco System to reap “huge profits!”

Last I checked we were far from the exclusive provider of these systems and for you to even begin to characterize how we run our business or what our profit targets are and that we prey on "unsuspecting consumers" is way out of line.

I am sorry your wife shut your slide out on your open CD door breaking it off. But because we chose not to sell replacement parts, that does not make my company a bad citizen in the RV community! Man, I am used to getting an ear full for equipment failures, but not for equipment being broken! At least yours was an honest mistake. I really love the arguments with the drunks who stagger and grab their CD Doors and break them off – then they still want it replaced under warranty! I missed the “I was drunk and it was not my fault clause.”

If fact, most people are glad that we have our Service Plan. Oh yeah, we only created it and launched it this year because people asked us how they could fix their old units! But we did not want people to have “old” units. We wanted existing Concertone Customers to have NEW Units and NEW Warranties instead of limited repair warranties on old technology. And we wanted them to have it at a GREAT PRICE! Wow, responding to customer requests – what a concept! Don’t I get any points for that?

BTW, we ask for the old cores back so we can be sure you are REALLY a Concertone Owner and by sending you the new unit first, you can continue to use your system and do the exchange at one time. Most units with very few exceptions are recycled responsibility (unlike going to a landfill) as most consumers would simply throw it in the trash.

So, this is why most manufacturers, dealers and vendors do not participate on forums. I spend hours here and there responding to posts when I could be something more strategic. So far for me, the benefits outweigh the negatives, but sooner or later we all only have so much to give and this includes TIME. I know most of you think I am a sharp guy, but writing a response like this takes multiple rewrites as my stream of thoughts may not be so coherent.
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
I very strongly prefer that we keep Bob here ....
You said it! While I don't need Bob's help right now, it is VERY nice to know that he is here. Please, everyone, stay "civil" to all our members. We want to keep this a "nice place to visit", so kick back; have a brew and read on...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Oh, and one more thing. Just so you know, there are more manufacturer representatives here as members than you might think. Just about every component in your camper has a rep or salesperson here as a member. They CHOOSE to lurk here because of the way some folks treat our reps who come "out of the closet." If we are better forum members, maybe more will be willing to "hang a sign" on who they are.

Thanks again Bob for being one of "The Few; The Proud; The Out of the Closet"
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Oh, and one more thing. Just so you know, there are more manufacturer representatives here as members than you might think. Just about every component in your camper has a rep or salesperson here as a member. They CHOOSE to lurk here because of the way some folks treat our reps who come "out of the closet." If we are better forum members, maybe more will be willing to "hang a sign" on who they are.

Thanks again Bob for being one of "The Few; The Proud; The Out of the Closet"

Totally agree, and another BIG THANKS for being here to help out.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #9

I had typed this but decided against posting it, I will try to rephrase some stuff and post it.

I work for a multinational company and I as part of my work I also am responsible for providing certain pieces of hardware and all its related support. I have tens of thousands of customers. Keep in my mind I do a lot more then providing the hardware and its related support.

We are not setup to provide parts for our hardware. It breaks, we send a new/refurbished one. You break a door on it, too bad, either live with it, or I will send a replacement, It does not work as well anymore ?, a refurbished unit or a brand new unit will be sent. It is RARE that a service call will be placed. It costs more money to have service to go and fix things.

It also will cost too much money to set up stock and keep hundreds of pieces in stock and ship them out and keep track of them. Requires more people then what we have.

People call me asking for things they think makes sense, and they get canned responses. It is not that they are wrong or what they are saying is not making sense, we are just not setup that way. We have strict guidelines to run the business in a certain way, which is extremely effective and results in very high customer satisfaction. It takes time to explain that to people, and I hate having to spend time to explain why we are doing things our way. I prefer to stay behind scenes all the time if possible. The biggest problems get escalated to me, and it is very rare that I budge from established processes.

Sometimes looking from outside, things do not make sense to the "customer", but makes perfect sense to any insider. It is a brutal world out there and companies are trying to stay afloat or turn a profit when everybody wants the everything cheap. I am also guilty of that, but I always try to remind myself the facts of business.

What I am trying to say is Bob has the guts to stay here, and take all this heat. In one of my posts I had already eluded to the fact that he was a very brave man for doing that. Lets just try to keep him around. Of course his company will make mistakes, of course we won't be satisfied with every decision they make, but he is a person, willing to listen and hopefully change things "OVER TIME". You will never get everything you need from one product sometimes, and we are all free to vote with our wallets.

I am sure every time he reads a post or thread like this, he must be saying, this is not worth it ....But if we come up with positive ideas, constructive criticism, and try not to be destructive while the will to vent and let them have it because we are unhappy, we will have a powerful ally on our side.

Bob, I appreciate the simple fact that you are here ! I am sure we all are, Unfortunately as part of your job, people only thing of you when they have problems I am sure you knew that going in, weren't you ?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #10

Thumbs down

I have to side with ronp...I too have had my share of problems with Concertone! Bob represents his Company and I understand that, but with the issues of my ZX75, Bob has always placed the problem on Forest River or myself! Then goes further to comment...let the dealer handle it! Sometimes as a representative for a Company you have to man up and consider "Do we have a true problem here!"

Bob...you stand behind your Company and Products whether right or wrong! Good for you...but as a consumer of Concertone products, I will neither use them or advocate their use!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #11

Goomph,

Great reply,
Spending my working career in the distribution field I agree with you 100%. Could not have been stated clearer.
Hang in there Bob. There are those of us out there that appreciate what you are trying to do.
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
My man up response is in the other thread...
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #13

Regardless of who is responsible for Concertone's service plan, it is horrible. It might work if your unit is in warranty, but if it's 2 months out of warranty, you are screwed. I can almost understand if they don't want to sell parts, but they could at least service out of warranty items at a reasonable price. To charge a customer 149.00 for a 5.00 piece of plastic is ridiculous. This unit works , in all respects, except that it needs the door. Please don't tell me that Concertone is going to throw it away when it's shipped back. Just as your service plan states, it will be refurbished. Then it will be sent to another customer, and he will be charged 149.00 also. Looks like a pretty good profit for Concertone. Concertone is making ridiculous profits on units out of warranty. With a service plan like that, they don't need to sell new units, they are making a fortune on replacement units.If they don't want to sell parts, at least they could service the unit at a reasonable price. I have been in the electronics business for 40 years, representing hundreds of manufacturers, and none of them have such a ridiculous policy. For all you Concertone owners out there, good luck. Hope it lasts forever. If you need reasonable service support, you are screwed. I will proceed with changing the unit out to the Jensen, and make sure that everyone I camp with knows about Concertones service policy.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #14

Ronp

Good luck with your Jensen.
Scotty-Georgia Brown
Scotty-Watson
Westy-Holms
jcts43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Regardless of who is responsible for Concertone's service plan, it is horrible. It might work if your unit is in warranty, but if it's 2 months out of warranty, you are screwed. I can almost understand if they don't want to sell parts, but they could at least service out of warranty items at a reasonable price. To charge a customer 149.00 for a 5.00 piece of plastic is ridiculous. This unit works , in all respects, except that it needs the door. Please don't tell me that Concertone is going to throw it away when it's shipped back. Just as your service plan states, it will be refurbished. Then it will be sent to another customer, and he will be charged 149.00 also. Looks like a pretty good profit for Concertone. Concertone is making ridiculous profits on units out of warranty. With a service plan like that, they don't need to sell new units, they are making a fortune on replacement units.If they don't want to sell parts, at least they could service the unit at a reasonable price. I have been in the electronics business for 40 years, representing hundreds of manufacturers, and none of them have such a ridiculous policy. For all you Concertone owners out there, good luck. Hope it lasts forever. If you need reasonable service support, you are screwed. I will proceed with changing the unit out to the Jensen, and make sure that everyone I camp with knows about Concertones service policy.
Out of warranty is out of warranty, period end of story, not too complicated for most folks to understand.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #16

What happens whenyour car goes out of warranty? Or for that matter, just about anything. If Concertone was the manufacturer they would say, buy another car! We won't service it. Most folks understand that too. But some simpletons can't
Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #17

But it is not a car ronp, it is a 150 dollar unit.

I throw away equipment worth a few thousand dollars ... because it makes business sense. Yes it is cheaper for me to replace .....

I hear that you are not happy with the quality reliability of the unit you have. But when your LCD tv dies a few days after warranty and the cost to fix it is almost as much as buying new, you WILL throw it and grumble and buy a new one. Or when the microwave you paid 199 dies ... You won't get it fixed ...

And one reason why i really try not to post in forums anymore, people assuming that others are simpletons, or most can understand etc. Of course this hurts, it is money, of course it hurts because we are being deprived of something we paid good money for, but come on folks, is there any reason to refer to to everyone else like this ?

Yes it would be nice if concertone had the capability to send parts, but, that will most probably cost something which will be passed on to the customer. And that 150 dollar unit will probably cost, 200 dollars or whatever ..... And then we will all say, darn it, it is so expensive, why ! .....

It is what it is ....

I am out of this thread ........Wish everyone well with their concertone units.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
Camp Ninja

Quote:
What happens whenyour car goes out of warranty? Or for that matter, just about anything. If Concertone was the manufacturer they would say, buy another car! We won't service it. Most folks understand that too. But some simpletons can't
It's not a car...
jfmoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #19
Grape Escape

I am sure someone here can send you the part. Just pay the shipping as there are many, many abandoned units out there. Model of unit and part you need? Try posting it
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #20

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcts43 View Post
Ronp

Good luck with your Jensen.
By far the Jensen is a superior unit, and will most likey be around much longer than Concertone!