Old 01-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Plain Old Member

Thermostat Problems / Possible Change Out - Will It Work?

Our new Forester has the small Dometic single zone digital thermostat. Our 15k AC/Heat pump is acting crazy. When in heat pump mode, something in the roof unit will click eratically, the fan will start and stop real fast, maybe do that a second time, then it will finally stay on. When in AC mode, fan mode set in auto, if you set it low enough for high fan to kick on, it will run in high on start up. When the temp get's lower, instead of a smooth transition from high to low fan, the fan will completely shut off (compressor still running), then the low fan will kick on. I have no manual on how the thermostat / roof unit is supposed to work in THIS motorhome.

I've had many a 15k Duotherm AC's, and never have I had one act like this. I'm thinking the way it's operating, it's just a matter of time before it burns something up. I can only hope it has the soft start capacitor or it'll be gone soon with this quick start / stop thing going on.

I'm thinking maybe it's the thermostat, but not sure. Either way, I do not like this thermostat. It won't even show actual room temp, just whatever you set it at, unless I'm missing something. I'd like to change it out with the Dometic Comfort Control center like I had in a fifth wheel once.

Does anybody know if the Comfort Control type will directly replace the single zone thermostat, in regards to wiring and function? It's made for the same roof unit, but not sure if the control box in the roof unit is the same. Does anybody know what might be causing all the clicking and eratic behavior of the roof unit? I'm hoping it's just the t-stat.

Hoping the AC gooroos can help me out here.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Our new Forester has the small Dometic single zone digital thermostat. Our 15k AC/Heat pump is acting crazy. When in heat pump mode, something in the roof unit will click eratically, the fan will start and stop real fast, maybe do that a second time, then it will finally stay on. When in AC mode, fan mode set in auto, if you set it low enough for high fan to kick on, it will run in high on start up. When the temp get's lower, instead of a smooth transition from high to low fan, the fan will completely shut off (compressor still running), then the low fan will kick on. I have no manual on how the thermostat / roof unit is supposed to work in THIS motorhome.

I've had many a 15k Duotherm AC's, and never have I had one act like this. I'm thinking the way it's operating, it's just a matter of time before it burns something up. I can only hope it has the soft start capacitor or it'll be gone soon with this quick start / stop thing going on.

I'm thinking maybe it's the thermostat, but not sure. Either way, I do not like this thermostat. It won't even show actual room temp, just whatever you set it at, unless I'm missing something. I'd like to change it out with the Dometic Comfort Control center like I had in a fifth wheel once.

Does anybody know if the Comfort Control type will directly replace the single zone thermostat, in regards to wiring and function? It's made for the same roof unit, but not sure if the control box in the roof unit is the same. Does anybody know what might be causing all the clicking and eratic behavior of the roof unit? I'm hoping it's just the t-stat.

Hoping the AC gooroos can help me out here.
I had the same issue. My problem was in the control box. This is located in the ceiling unit (heat pump). Remove the inside cover and you will see the small control box--replace it. It may be under warranty. Let me know how this works for you.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

While at the FR service center in Indiana, they replaced the control box and t-stat. Hadn't really tried it all out yet, but they said it was working now. I'll test it out in detail when I get back from work.

Does anybody know if the Comfort Control Center II has the 3 wire set up like this one does? I don't have the need for the dual zone or anything, but the CCC II is a nicer looking thermostat, plus displays room temp without turning it off. Also is programable I think. If it's a plug and play, I'll put one in and use just one zone. Just haven't looked at one to see what the wiring requirements are or if the control box that I have will work.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote