Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #1

Thermostat was on the whole time

I went to the garage during midnight to do some chores. I hear this loud roaring and thought it was the electric panel charging but its too obvious. Then I said to myself, somebody is in there. I checked inside and hear the loud sound. Turned out, the thermostat was not fully turned to "0" but at 50 degrees. Here in calif, it hasn't been cold until the last couple nights. I am thinking this thing was running when the propane wasn't turn on.

Did iit cost any damage by running without the propane on?
tntrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #2

It Shouldn't have, It will shut down after what propane was left in the lines, then it will try to relite 3x's and lock out. You should be okay

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Graduate Member

I can confirm that it does no damage. Our second or third time camping was cold enough for heat. Our walk thru guy had told us to turn off the propane whenever we weren't using it, which I dutifully did as I packed up the RV to move from MIL to GIL's house.

Since we were on shore power at GIL's, no need for propane so I left it off. That night we discovered one of the many things missed in our walk-thru. We turned the heat on and went to sleep.

Couple hours later I wake up shivering. Durn furnace isn't cycling - so I turn it on and off. It comes right on, and I go back to sleep. Hour or so later, I wake up again shivering. @#%#@$% furnace still isn't cycling. We'll figure it out in the morning I tell myself, and switch it on and off.

After a few more times of this, I realize that the furnace is running for about 3-5 minutes, but not blowing any hot air. That's when I realize a very important piece of information - the furnace requires electric AND propane!

I got out, turn the propane on, re-turn on the furnace and voila. Worked exactly like gljurczyk described.

That woulda been nice to find out on the walk-thru - but I'll never forget it now!
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote