Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
geotex1, Who you calling a geek ? lol
Look carefully at my signature, and choose your next actions wisely!
Old 03-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
Look carefully at my signature, and choose your next actions wisely!

Roger that ! Are You from the Philly area. Drexel....

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Roger that ! Are You from the Philly area. Drexel....
Over the bridge in South Jersey and 20min door-to-door at 32nd & Chestnut.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #44

Barry Bridge no doubt. I'm about 10 min away from the bridge in Pa. 25 min to 23rd & Mkt. (if 95 is not a mess)

"DON'T FORCE IT - GET A BIGGER HAMMER'
"Paul & Laurie"
2013 Columbus 340 RK
2013 F350 Dually 6.7 Diesel
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:44 PM   #45
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Barry Bridge no doubt. I'm about 10 min away from the bridge in Pa. 25 min to 23rd & Mkt. (if 95 is not a mess)
You two need a private moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
Over the bridge in South Jersey and 20min door-to-door at 32nd & Chestnut.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #46

Now that we have that settled.............. What should I do with the appliances?
Gene85222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #47

Gene85222 I think somebody else already said it, If you have the room to store them,keep them for future use of parts.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #48
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I used to say save everything.
Now I'm to the point where if it doesn't move in 1 year it's gone.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
You two need a private moment?

Quote:
Amen! Craigslist, eBay, and the scrap yard have seen much of my "just in case" collection...
Old 03-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #50
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene85222 View Post
Now that we have that settled.............. What should I do with the appliances?
For me, there are very few that I would keep. The washer/dryer and the RV fridge. No to the microwave, converter, and no to the TV.

I'd also toss that surge protector and buy a proper EMS from Progressive (at likely 3x the cost of what you bought).

Quote:
I'm a pack-rat with a long history of it in my family and have come to the decision- I hate the clutter. Knobs and misc parts are usually cheap enough that I'd rather just buy them if the (in my opinion, unlikely) chance comes up that I need them.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #51

WOW!!!!!!!!
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #52

You shouldn't have 240V anywhere in your measurements. You only use a breaker that snaps in on one leg (or bar) on you breaker box. 30amp hook ups are the same.
Det107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #53

On another thread, one person said they never used a surge protector on several campers and only periodically now; another I infer from comments has never used one. So this morning I was wondering if that's something we really didn't need and could save some $$. But I think we will err on the side of caution and get one until we can afford the EMS unit.
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootingranny View Post
On another thread, one person said they never used a surge protector on several campers and only periodically now; another I infer from comments has never used one. So this morning I was wondering if that's something we really didn't need and could save some $$. But I think we will err on the side of caution and get one until we can afford the EMS unit.
It's all about experience scootingranny and personal evaluation of what cost and risk you are willing to live with, what your insurance company will cover, and so on. Forums are for sharing advice and experience. Some of us have great depth in experience, some great expertise, and some both. Just because every single last one of us has a "I've been doing this for [inserted exaggerated number here] years and never had a problem..." story about something it does not not mean that you won't. The sunshine just shines on certain people sometimes regardless, and because a lot of things in life have an inherent safety margin already designed in to capture at least one standard deviation of outliers.

In my field, a key consideration for beginning an analysis of any sort is to determine the threshold of acceptable risk, and this is sort of where you are with your weighing. Low threshold, you better plan on belt, suspenders, and some tape and velcro for your choice. So you invest (spend) upfront for future security. High threshold, you go bare bones and are comfortable with the gamble and will draw on reserves to resolve issues as they arise.

Sure, there are folks on every forum that say you must have or have to have. I try to just recommend when I provide input, or offer food for thought from a more technical orientation. Reality is, only you can assess your personal margin of risk, however, and the best way to do that is to gather as much information as possible to evaluate it.

I will share my personal one with you regarding an EMS, and it is simple. I have a low threshold for lost camping time and waste of my personal time due to preventable power issues even though I know my insurance will cover all replacement of appliances and electronics for my $100 deductible. So, I absolutely invested $300 in a hardwired EMS with lifetime warranty that has migrated to its second camper now. So my risk threshold is not related to damage to my camper, but to my loss of enjoyment. So it is easy to see why someone with a used camper and insurance with a $1K deductible might then have a very different risk threshold related to damage to their camper.

So, my recommendation would be to evaluate your own threshold for risk and make your decision accordingly.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #55

Great info and thanks geotex1! I'm thinking you and I are thinking alike!
scootingranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 AM   #56

I recently went thru this after owning a 2014 Brookstone 3 months. I did some research of each appliance and was able to save quiet a bit of money. The fireplace just happened to be listed at 250.00 versus 400.00 on the mfg site. The microwave was replaced by one from Best Buy because I had already had to replace it one other time......and it took 2 months to get a new one from warranty.
The central vac was priced around 400.00 but the mfg told me a circuit board would fix it. The cost was 70.00. And the converter was replaced by the company where we purchased the unit.
I chose to do all this on my own because getting Warranty work takes at least 6 to 8 weeks.
We are first time RVERS and I'm quiet disgusted at the lack of knowledge given to us when we asked if there was anything we needed to purchase before we hit the road. All we were told was a water regulator and a sewer hose. I'm pretty sure the surge protector should have been the first thing they should have told us.
msjod54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, power