Old 08-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #1

Third party backup cameras

Has anyone had any luck with 3rd party backup cameras?

We just purchased a Rockwood Roo 233S and are enjoying it but driving is a little stressful not being able to see behind me.

The trailer came preinstalled for the furion backup camera. This basically means the furion housing with it's connector wired up to the running lights.

From Amazon the furion camera is nearly twice what other backup cameras are running, and from the specs it looks to be an inferior camera system to the competition. I would also like a camera that has a monitor that attaches over my rearview mirror or better yet throws the signal to my phone.

From what I can see I could cut the existing furion cable exposing the wiring to my running lights and splice any new camera into that. Attaching the 3rd party housing to trailer might be a little problematic which is why I'm wondering if anyone out there has had any luck in doing this.

Thanks

RooBeDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Backup Camera

I just purchased a backup camera from Amazon with a 7" display, Wireless.
Digital wireless Kit BY LeeKooLuu. Works fantastic for a price of $159.00,
shipping free.

LeeKooLuu

TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2018 60 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #3

I just put a $40 backup camera on my Tow Vehicle that uses my smartphone as the monitor. Got tired of the up and down while backing under my trailer coupler.

Range is good but it needs both a continuous (while ignition is on) power source as well as a connection to the backup lighting source. Both could be overcome depending on how much wiring one wants to do as all those connections exist where the umbilical cable is attached to the trailer.

Camera is about the size of a large ice cube. Picture is great on my phone and since it uses the phone's wifi rather than bluetooth it has great range.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I just put a $40 backup camera on my Tow Vehicle that uses my smartphone as the monitor. Got tired of the up and down while backing under my trailer coupler.

Range is good but it needs both a continuous (while ignition is on) power source as well as a connection to the backup lighting source. Both could be overcome depending on how much wiring one wants to do as all those connections exist where the umbilical cable is attached to the trailer.

Camera is about the size of a large ice cube. Picture is great on my phone and since it uses the phone's wifi rather than bluetooth it has great range.
Any other info on the camera? Link?
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
Retired Navy

I installed a camera system on my previous motorhome, a Chinook Maverick, so I could see my toad. I got an inexpensive system off of eBay and ran the wires thru the cabinets and closets. It was a 12 volt system, and I powered it from the house battery wiring. Easy to do.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
Any other info on the camera? Link?
This is the one I got:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put the Furion on my trailer using the pre-wire and base provided but this little camera makes it super easy to line up the trailer ball/coupler on the first try. No more dented license plates of having to get worn out from getting in and out of the truck, jocking foreward, back, left, right.

Even when my wife was alive she didn't understand where exactly the truck needed to be so I still had to make several trips. With the camera, no more.

Just get a good, solid, license plate frame and attach it where either a Dealer Name or "cute remark" would be printed. The mount is a little "lightweight" but once one has it all adjusted the way they like, epoxy the whole mount and camera into a solid piece with some epoxy putty. The stuff that comes in two sticks you squeeze together to mix can be molded into a fairly decent mount that will keep it in place and protect it from accidental hits from a boot or shoe when climbing on the step.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #7

Try

Tadi Brothers. On the web but we saw them at the Hershey show 3 years ago. Bought a 5 “ monitor and camera. Bought a second camera for my tow vehicles a year later. Comes with all you need for wireless hook up. Can’t say enough about the equipment and the company. Many different models available

Good Luck
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #8

We purchased a Switch Hitch Bluetooth back up camera. It requires no wiring and uses your cell phone for the screen. We are very happy with it. I think it cost somewhere around $160 so more than what we had tried before but we like it much better than the cheaper one that used wires. I think we purchased it direct from Switch Hitch.
Dee Silbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I just purchased a backup camera from Amazon with a 7" display, Wireless.
Digital wireless Kit BY LeeKooLuu. Works fantastic for a price of $159.00,
shipping free.

LeeKooLuu
Looking at buying one for my 35ft tt and F150. Thinking of splcing in to my furion connection.
Have you hooked yours up yet? Your thoughts?
rmanduch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #10

I just took the Furrion Vision 2 FOS48TAPK-BL that came with my unit off, and stuck it in the console. It works, but I can't see diddley squat on it. Supposed to be color, supposed to be clear, and supposed to be big enough. It ain't. It's pretty much useless unless you want to see 3 feet behind your bumper, and only then in perfect daylight.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote