Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #1

Thoughts on washer/ dryer

We just bought a Cedar Creek Silverback...haven't picked it up yet. We're tossing around the idea of getting a washer/ dryer or a combo. I'm interested in your thoughts about the pros and cons of each type. I realize that either one will only do a small load, but I'm wondering HOW small ?
Thanks!

Bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Itís pretty small but really isnít a problem. My family of 4 has use a combo pretty much exclusively for 2 1/2 to 3 years now. We run a load overnight nightly and then will run another couple during the day depending on what needs done.

A typically load might be a couple of adult jeans and a couple of shirts.

The small loads are really nice because they donít feel like work. Quick to put in, quick to fold, etc.

Whatever you get - donít bother with the ventless! Vented or bust.

I talk about all this and more in this article:
http://learntorv.com/clothing-washer-dryer/

Old 01-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #3

We went with the stacked washer and dryer from Splendide. Had them about 4 years so far and no problems. We like the separate units because you can be drying a load while washing another. I agree with ependydad, only get a vented unit.

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #4

Our combo Splendede gets used nearly every day, sometimes several times in a day. We are snowbirds for 5 months every winter and there are only 2 of us to dirty so many things.
It handles a reasonable sized load such as: 1pr jeans, 2pr jean shorts, 2pr socks; 2 pr jeans, 2 shirts, 2pr socks; 4 shirts, 4pr socks; 6 sets underwear; 2 bath towels, 2 wash cloths; 4-6 hand/kitchen dry cloths. You soon get the hang of it. It will handle 4-6 pillow cases or 1-2 sheets, but, mattress protectors, coverletís etc. all go to the coin laundry.
You really must SHAKE out your jeans/shirts/shorts between wash and dry cycles or you will have wrinkles that are set in stone.
I would also vote for the vented, although it gave me great pause as I was drilling that 4Ē hole in my sidewall for its cover. I installed the optional drain pan under the unit with a line plumbed to the exterior. Carpet removal below it is a must and I cut a piece of 3/4Ē plywood, screwed firmly to the floor, for it to sit on. Best wishes.
Travel safe
FordHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 PM   #5

Yup. Cutting that 4 inch hole is scary. Measure 97 times and cut once! You have to stop your hole saw as soon as it cuts through. I had a 120 volt AC power line running right through there! It had enough slack that I could route it to one side. I also installed a drain pan and plumbed it through the floor right behind the hitch.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #6

We have a stackable unit and ours, and are very pleased with it,I have heard pros & cons on the combo and the wife is pleased with what we have, so as far as I am concerned that's all that matters
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #7

Ditto above.

We have the stackable unit.

Momma is pleased. We spent 6 weeks touring the Midwest this year plus several one week trips.

We come home with clean clothes. What a luxury.

Wonderful on those wet periods to toss wet stuff in the dryer. No hanging clothes everywhere. We had to break down and set up two days in pouring rain. Four sets of wet clothes and jackets. Dry before cocktail time was over!

Yep, the units are smaller. Easy to do two loads between dinner and bedtime.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
We have a stackable unit and ours, and are very pleased with it,I have heard pros & cons on the combo and the wife is pleased with what we have, so as far as I am concerned that's all that matters
Yup. A happy wife is a happy life, I always say!

Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #9

X2 on the stackable unit, we have the splendide units and our is almost the same size as a residential unit, we love ours!!
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #10

We went with a LG 2.3 cu. ft. washer. A little tight getting it into the bedroom but the washer/dryer closet had plenty of room. I think I have enough room to stack the matching dryer on top but, DW doesn't want one. She likes clothes hung out to dry on the line. Since we got ours, LG has come out with a ventless washer/dryer combo of the same size. The LG can handle a whole lot more. Yesterday one load consisted of a set of king sheets, several pairs of socks, undies (his & hers) and 3 or 4 light pull over shirts. The second load consisted of 4 large bath towels, couple of dish cloths & dish towels & a sweatshirt & sweatpants.

What's nice about the LG is it's self balancing. If the load is off balance at the start of the spin cycle, it will change its' speed until the load redistributes itself then spin dry like a banchee at regular speed!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...88HW/207024938

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...888W/207102720

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...M3488HW/207024
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160207_145445.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	194784  

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote