Old 04-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #1
Trailer Park Supervisor

Angry Troubleshooting Mach 8 Ultra low profile A/C

Brand new trailer, picked up in November, it was too cold to test AC at the time. Went to do some work out there today, plugged into 20 amp circuit, no other loads on circuit, AC is blowing same temp air as is inside trailer 82 deg, even after 15 minutes. I cycled off then back on, same thing. I can hear and feel vibration of compressor running. Yes, temperature dial on unit is turned all the way to cold (I can hear compressor come on as I turn it to cold). There is no external thermostat.

I was so excited to go on our maiden voyage on 4/25, and now this. Yes, I know I don't NEED A/C, but it was one of the draws of buying an RV, to camp in comfort.

Any tips from any of you HVAC guys would be appreciated. I don't have any tools to measure coolant pressures or anything like that, but I am ok with a multi-meter.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Brand new trailer, picked up in November, it was too cold to test AC at the time. Went to do some work out there today, plugged into 20 amp circuit, no other loads on circuit, AC is blowing same temp air as is inside trailer 82 deg, even after 15 minutes. I cycled off then back on, same thing. I can hear and feel vibration of compressor running. Yes, temperature dial on unit is turned all the way to cold (I can hear compressor come on as I turn it to cold). There is no external thermostat.

I was so excited to go on our maiden voyage on 4/25, and now this. Yes, I know I don't NEED A/C, but it was one of the draws of buying an RV, to camp in comfort.

Any tips from any of you HVAC guys would be appreciated. I don't have any tools to measure coolant pressured s or anything like that, but I am ok with a multi-meter.
Go up pull the cover off and make sure the condenser fan is still in one peice . They have had a problem with them falling apart even while just sitting

MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:15 PM   #3

Quote:

Any tips from any of you HVAC guys would be appreciated. I don't have any tools to measure coolant pressures or anything like that, but I am ok with a multi-meter.
You can't measure coolant pressures as you can on a home unit. RV compressors are sealed units and have no service valves installed.

You can put an amprobe in the AC line and check for 12/13 amps to be sure the compressor is running.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

thanks guys, will pull cover up top and look. My EMS is showing 118v, 8 amps being drawn when i turn unit on. It is a 13.5k BTU unit.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Pulled outside cover, fan is working great. Compressor is very warm, almost hot to touch, feels like it's running. The tubing going into top of condenser coil felt like ambient temp. The tubing (very skinny, almost like a capillary tube) going into bottom of condenser coil was very cold. The 8 amp draw was on low cool, up to 9 amps on high cool.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
thanks guys, will pull cover up top and look. My EMS is showing 118v, 8 amps being drawn when i turn unit on. It is a 13.5k BTU unit.
Get someone to watch the EMS closely. When you turn on the AC, it should spike a lot higher than that for startup. It will only be high for a second or so though. Also there should be a delay between when the AC starts up and the compressor actually kicks on. That delay device may be bad and it's not actually kicking the compressor, just the fans.

Or the thermostat could be wired wrong. Do you have a remote thermostat or is it the one on the Mach 8 housing? Finding a trailer with something wired wrong is not exactly a rare thing.

Also the Mach 8 has a high pressure safety switch. Once it trips, you have to totally remove AC power from the Mach 8 for it to reset. Try turning the Mach 8 totally off, and then flip the breaker for the AC to "off" for about 30 seconds. Then I would put the unit on high cool with the temp set to the warmest possible temp (compressor will likely not come on at this point). Then slowly turn the temp setting knob towards a colder setting, you should feel and hear the compressor kick in when you hit a setting below the temp inside the trailer (if it's working).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #7

Find the nameplate data and see how much full load current it should draw when running.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped:2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Coleman I found draws 12.1 amps running load.. Me thinks you have a bad compressor. It's under warrantee yes?

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

Having wife standing out by EMS to tell me amps when i turned unit on was no help at all. The readout keeps cycling and wife was clueless about what I wanted her to watch for, even after explaining it. I have one of those multimeters with induction clamp, I don't know if that will work. I can't wait to drive 3 hours to dealer, just to have them tell me they have to order a new relay or something and have to bring it back.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Yes, it's brand new. So they will probably have to replace entire unit? I don't see any easy way to replace the compressor, unless they solder one in and have a way to evacuate and recharge without fittings.