Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #1

TV Antenna

We just purchased a 2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 246 RKS. We're camping with it now in a campground with friends (the CG has no cable etc hookups), and our TV reception compared to the other campers is atrocious - the 3 channels I get compared to the 15+ they're getting go intermittently snowy. In addition, I have to do a 'search for channels' after it's been off for awhile. I believe I've narrowed it down to the antenna, which is a fixed unit and can't be raised or turned in any direction.
I've owned campers from pop-ups to class A motorhomes with everything in-between, and never had this problem. I'm thinking my best option is to replace the POS with a high quality antenna, but I'm at a loss as to why Coachmen would put such a piece of crap on a $30,000 travel trailer. There's a few other items I'm not happy with, but that's for another thread.
Any suggestions, as we do a lot of dry camping in state & federal campgrounds?
MacAodha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #2

Since it's fixed you will need to replace the entire assembly with one that raises. I replaced my Wingard with a Jack and couldn't be happier. I live about 45 miles west of Chicago and all I could ever get was 12 stations in my driveway. After they switched to digital I was lucky to get the 5 main ones and those would pixilate. I did some searching and found the Jack with great reviews so I bought the replacement head. I now can pull in 72 stations and they are all strong. My buddy had the same issue with his and he finally got the Jack. Many people who switched love them.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #3

I've always preferred antenias that can be rotated ! You do have the antenia booster turned on ?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #4

Check the connection at the ant. Mine was corroded and blocked the signal. If it isn't tight moisture can get in.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
2604WS

antenna

Had a Sensar batwing antenna on my 2014 Rockwood and was never really happy with the reception. It was okay A little hesitant but went with the King Jack antenna and have to say that ultimately we were impressed. Initially we didn't think it was any better but I figured out what I was doing wrong and we had to have double the number of channels that we previously had at the same campground site.
Kirk
kirkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:15 AM   #6

I have a coachmen apex and it too has a fixed antenna, can't be raised or lowered or rotated. I may look in to an upgrade as well and I'll look at the Jack....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #7

If there is a number of campers there, you probably have a range of antenna's from the cheap to the good, and if you are not matching what they are getting, something is wrong. I would double check that the booster is on, power to the antenna, connections correct...etc. Possible you have a bad antenna also.

Of course this could be an excuse for getting something better, although I agree with you that one would expect a better antenna. But cheap is the name of the game with the current new RV's.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:37 AM   #8

Re: TV Antenna

Thanks for all your responses, they are greatly appreciated! I believe its the shoddy makeup of the permanently-fixed low profile non-rotational antenna. Everything else checks out, the electrical outlet is functional, the antenna cable outlet functions properly, & the booster button (green light) is on.

I went back to the dealer & one of the technicians in service that I know advised me, quote: "that antenna Forest River is putting on some of the new Coachmen trailers isn't worth ****". Well, that explains it ... LOL Wish I'd known.

Anyway, the problem is solved. My wife solved it. She didn't like the camper from the day I brought it home, and yesterday she talked me into going with her to a different Forest River-affiliated dealer in the area. She picked out a very nice Flagstaff Super V-Line 30' TT with two slides. And lo & behold!, its got a really nice rotatable antenna that works. So a trade of one 2017 for another 2017 was done, and we weren't burned too badly. As one of my friends said, "If your wife is happy you'll be happy". I'm just the driver, but to tell you the truth, this one is much nicer, better built, and more accessories. Thanks again for all of your pitchin' in!

MacAodha
MacAodha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:10 AM   #9

Congrats on the new TT.....and new TV antenia...lol !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:41 AM   #10

I have to say this is the first time I've heard of someone trading campers because of the TV antenna.

Looks like you went bigger, enjoy your new V-Lite!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #11

I don't think my DW would let me do that!
Old 02-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to SimoRandy
Anyone have s problem where the built in rotating Long antennae doesn’t do any better on/off? My three TVs all search differently so I’m guessing they might not even be hooked up. The power switch is on. Also, I lose reception when I open my residential refrigerator. Talked with King at a recent RV show and they weren’t much help. Said the refrigerator light bulb was causing my problems!

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 03-03-2018, 10:20 PM   #13

I do electronics work for a living.

I had a problem similar to yours.

Most all makes or models of RV antennas send 12 volts DC up the coax for the internal amp in the antenna head. The signal goes back down the same wire. Disconnect the wire at the antenna. Make sure red led on the antenna switch panel is lit. Take a volt meter and see if 12 VDC is present. Could be any number of things. I actually found the “F” connector that screws on to the roof feed through was loose from the factory. It was basically “in the roof”. It was intermittent causing power and no power conditions to the amp. No power to the amp is worse than no amp in the circuit at all. How is the reception an your sets now. Poor?

The “plate” with the push button on it is basically an A-B switch. It selects either the “park cable” or the roof top antenna connection.

You can pull the plate out of the wall. Most have only power and a couple connections. You can find diagrams for this circuit readily. You MUST keep this part in the circuit for testing as it supplies power to the antenna, but you can attach one of the output ports directly to a TV that will help in troubleshooting where the problem is.

I also have LED camper lighting and found that the cheep Chinese LED constant current drivers in all of the camper ceiling lights emit a crap load of spurious RF.

This literally snubs out my local channel 10 if ANY LED lights are on in my RV.

You may have a similar issue.

Poor antenna connections that were resolved helped, but it’s not completely gone.
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna