Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #1

TV Antenna

Sorry if this is remedial, but I have some questions about the TV antenna system on my 2010 Surveyor 234T Hybrid. I just bought it new, and it's great. I can't figure out if the TV antenna is for analog or digital TV. If I buy a new flat screen TV, do I need to get some sort of analog to digital converter? I have an old analog tv that I plugged into the antenna jack (I think it's the antenna jack), raised the antenna, and tried to get a signal, any signal. Nothing. Then I installed a digital to analog converter, and it simply says "no signal" from antenna.
Should I be able to plug in a new flat digital tv into the antenna jack, unflold the antenna and watch tv, or is there something else I need to do?
Any info would be great.
siskman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskman63
Sorry if this is remedial, but I have some questions about the TV antenna system on my 2010 Surveyor 234T Hybrid. I just bought it new, and it's great. I can't figure out if the TV antenna is for analog or digital TV. If I buy a new flat screen TV, do I need to get some sort of analog to digital converter? I have an old analog tv that I plugged into the antenna jack (I think it's the antenna jack), raised the antenna, and tried to get a signal, any signal. Nothing. Then I installed a digital to analog converter, and it simply says "no signal" from antenna.
Should I be able to plug in a new flat digital tv into the antenna jack, unflold the antenna and watch tv, or is there something else I need to do?
Any info would be great.
If your tv is digital nothing else is needed.
If its not u need a converter box.
Antenna same either way
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo

If your tv is digital nothing else is needed.
If its not u need a converter box.
Antenna same either way
When u hook up tv do a channel search.

May have to rotate antenna to get more stations.
I get nearly 35 where I'm at.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Search on "Winegard" and "Wingman" for a long discussion on optimum TV viewing in the digital age.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #5

The old analog TV will not be able to get anything. You should have been able to get something off the converter box though. Did you run the auto program on it? And yes a new TV with a hd or digital tuner should work just fine with your antenna. Just hook it up run the auto program and see what you get in, sometimes you may have to rotate the antenna to get some channels in better.

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The antennae booster must be on to receive over the air transmissions. I didn't see where the OP mentioned that.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #7

I have a stupid question. We have the wineguard antenna with the wingman booster. I've read on these forums that once you install the wingman, the antenna becomes a directional antenna and has to be directed in the direction of the station you're trying to get. Here's my stupid question.....how do I know which side of the antenna is supposed to be pointing at the station??? I'll plead ignorance, but my DH doesn't have an excuse.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator
I have a stupid question. We have the wineguard antenna with the wingman booster. I've read on these forums that once you install the wingman, the antenna becomes a directional antenna and has to be directed in the direction of the station you're trying to get. Here's my stupid question.....how do I know which side of the antenna is supposed to be pointing at the station??? I'll plead ignorance, but my DH doesn't have an excuse.
The side that looks wrong
Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
.how do I know which side of the antenna is supposed to be pointing at the station???
You should point the Wingman towards the station antennae.

When setting up at a new location, I do 3 channel searches with the antennae pointed about every 120°......seems to work well. The missus also has a phone app that shows where the local stations are located.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
The elements of the wingman point to the station like an arrow.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The elements of the wingman point to the station like an arrow.
Beat you by 1 minute, Lou.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #12

I use the King Control Dig TV Finder (Amazon link)

Just rotate the antenna and peak the signal strength. Works great...especially in fringe areas
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #13

With or without the wingman, it has always helped to point the antenna in the direction of the station source. That's why the antenna was always on a rotating ring long before digital TV came on the scene.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman
With or without the wingman, it has always helped to point the antenna in the direction of the station source. That's why the antenna was always on a rotating ring long before digital TV came on the scene.
I think she wants to know which side of the antenna points which way.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Well, I guess no one wants to read the old posts.

Cliffs Notes Version:

Old "BatWing" type Antennas

VHF directional - Wings need to be 90 degrees to station and as such were directional. Front lobe of antenna was the side of the wings with the white box (amplifier) on it. Much longer range than UHF channels.

UHF - Omnidirectional - Like the old "wire loop" of the past, it is a circle of wire inside the white amp case. VERY short range.

Digital did not change the way the antenna works. Still directional for VHF digital channels. (yes Virginia, there are still digital VHF channels.)

However with the advent of digital programming, the station frequencies could be packed closer together and most NEW high definition station broadcasts are in the UHF range since there was more room there.

This caused a problem because most UHF antennas were pretty rudimentary.
So while you could receive a VHF station, the collocated UHF high def channel won't come in. The "fix" was adding focusing elements on the UHF antenna that act like a magnifying glass and "bend" the incoming weaker signals (too weak to display on the digital TV) and focus it onto the internal loop antenna in the white amp head.

This almost doubles the distance you can receive UHF High Def channels. The downside is the "focus" issue. Like a solar magnifying glass, the lens has to point the correct way. Holding a burning lens sideways will not cook any ants. Same with the Wingman booster; it has to point to the broadcast towers to work.

Picture an airplane. The "cockpit" is the white amp head with Wingman elements and the wings of the plane are the bat wings. The nose of the plane must fly to the station to get the highest signal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wingmanGraph.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	16665   Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 036.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	16667  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2452167 RV-WINGMAN.pdf (303.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: pdf Protractor used to align TV antenna.pdf (219.7 KB, 94 views)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #16

Don't think anyone answered your orig. question completely. The wall plate holding the TV antenna cable recpt, ie wall plate has a small black button with green indicating light. Press button till light is green and this turns on amp in the roof element. Follow balance of instructions......
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #17

I just look at the camper next to me or which ever is close by that has the antenna up. Usually the direction they are pointing is the direction I have to point also.

vizsla owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizsla owner View Post
I just look at the camper next to me or which ever is close by that has the antenna up. Usually the direction they are pointing is the direction I have to point also.
Last campground I was at NO ONE was pointed at the antenna farm. They were all pointed at the nearby city. They were shocked when I was picking up 6 more stations than they were.

AntennaWeb - Home ROCKS.

Tags
antenna, television