Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2017, 12:10 AM   #1
AMG

TV antenna channel scan finds 0 channels

2016 Stealth WA2916. Truth is, I dont recall the last time I used the antenna. I always watch DVD's, or I also have an Android HDMI stick hooked up to it, that I can run Dish Anywhere, NetFlix, etc. on so I use that.

Today, while the TH was located in San Diego, I tried to use the TV and scan for channels RF and it found zero. Do these come with digital tuners, because I thought a while back that all analog OTA stuff was over with, so I wonder what that antenna on the roof (a circle thing on a post) does with regard to OTA channels in USA.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:13 AM   #2
Site Team

#1 cause is the antenna boost button is off.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:55 AM   #3

Turn the booster on and then do a rescan. OTA: booster on. CABLE: booster off. Good luck.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #4

I've never been able to get a single channel in my trailer in the city at the CG etc. I figured it was just a cheap antenna on my Wildwood. Do you guys typically get at least a couple channels? Like the OP, we just watch the occasional DVD. Curious to see how this plays out.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
In metro areas I can 30 or 40 channels. In Goshen I was able to get 50 channels, only 3 or 4 worth watching but did get that many.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
I've never been able to get a single channel in my trailer in the city at the CG etc. I figured it was just a cheap antenna on my Wildwood. Do you guys typically get at least a couple channels? Like the OP, we just watch the occasional DVD. Curious to see how this plays out.
If it was me, I'd be pulling my cover off of the connection and making sure that the cables were connected behind there. And tight. When I am in a urban area, lots of OTA channels to choose from. Most are worthless infomercials, but the news is important to us. Good luck.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

You should have an antenna amplifier panel that looks something like the one in the photo. Its about the size of a standard wall outlet and has a cigaret lighter plug and a coax connector on it. Yours might be a different color, maybe has a USB connector on it?

Make sure the switch is pressed in (turned on) and the LED is lite.

This turns on the antenna amplifier and connects the antenna to the TV coax. If its OFF, it connects your external "CABLE TV" connector to the TV coax.

ALSO - before you do a SCAN on your TV, select something like "External Antenna" or "Air".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winegard 12v wall plate.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	129288  
Old 02-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #8

I am sitting in the middle of the TEXAS PANHANDLE had channels this morning but none now..It is very windy now so I guess it blew the digital bites away !#!#!

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
You should have an antenna amplifier panel that looks something like the one in the photo. Its about the size of a standard wall outlet and has a cigaret lighter plug and a coax connector on it. Yours might be a different color, maybe has a USB connector on it?

This turns on the antenna amplifier and connects the antenna to the TV coax. If its OFF, it connects your external "CABLE TV" connector to the TV coax.

ALSO - before you do a SCAN on your TV, select something like "External Antenna" or "Air".
To the OP, this is the booster mentioned in posts #2 and #3.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post

We have late 16/early17 Sandstorm which I think comes from the same factory as the Stealth. Live in the outer east side of the LA viewing area and get 60-80 channels. It will scan with or without the amp button being on.

If you are getting nothing, barring catistrofic failure of a component, I would first be sure source in the TV is to antenna and then check that antenna is where you cable is attached. After that, assuming you ever had off air reception, something has come loose or failed. Lots of YouTube's in correct connection behind the antenna attachment at the ampliphier and I ultimately learned that my old winegard Omni directional antenna had failed, when I traced the wire all the way to the antenna and found that amplifier WAS sending 12 bolt up to it as it should. Hope it is just user settings. Good luck.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #11

No channels on tv scan

I have a Winegard RS3035 which is not worth anything. I cannot get local channels so I made a small HDMI antenna and hook directly to TV. I get about 40 channels. Don't know if connection to external roof mount antenna is lose or what. This might be your case.
pjoz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:33 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
We have late 16/early17 Sandstorm which I think comes from the same factory as the Stealth. Live in the outer east side of the LA viewing area and get 60-80 channels. It will scan with or without the amp button being on.

If you are getting nothing, barring catistrofic failure of a component, I would first be sure source in the TV is to antenna and then check that antenna is where you cable is attached. After that, assuming you ever had off air reception, something has come loose or failed. Lots of YouTube's in correct connection behind the antenna attachment at the ampliphier and I ultimately learned that my old winegard Omni directional antenna had failed, when I traced the wire all the way to the antenna and found that amplifier WAS sending 12 bolt up to it as it should. Hope it is just user settings. Good luck.
FWIW... I have NOT seen an antenna with a booster, that would allow scanning/finding channels without it being turned on. The booster is what makes the amplified antenna work. And, on most units (but not all) the booster is ALSO a selector switch. (as mentioned previously) With the booster ON it selects the antenna to go to your TV connection. With it OFF it selects the outside Cable port to go to your TV.

There are also some King Jack omni-directional antennas that have TWO amplifiers that need turned on. The one on the wall plate and another at the antenna base.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #13
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Great roof antenna reception

We spend the summers as hosts at a State Park 65 miles northwest of Chicago and get great reception on our roof antenna. The comments about boosting the signal are critical.
The problem with programs is correct, terrible stations but a terrific picture. There were more movies transmitted then anything and some great old ones. Plus we received the local network stations like ABC, NBC and Fox.
Due to trees our satellite reception was none existent.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #14

Location: West, Texas (the town, not the western part of the state)
We had a brand new little Salem Cruise lite and we couldn't get any signal either. Took it in and found that the wiring had never been connected to the outlet. Once they actually hooked it up we can get at least 20 channels even out in the boonies.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonz View Post
I am sitting in the middle of the TEXAS PANHANDLE had channels this morning but none now..It is very windy now so I guess it blew the digital bites away !#!#!

Called tropospheric reception . Depending on air temperature will cause signals to travels between different layers of the ionosphere.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #16
padcarroll

Do you have a selection switch for different devices such as DVD or Satellite? My Legacy has one and it has to be in the antennae position in order for the TV's to connect to antennae.

Dave and Pam Carroll
Callie - 9 yo chihuahua/yorky mix
2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Full-timing since January 2016
padcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #17

Might need some help along this line ourselves. 2 years without issue, but DW went to scan 2 weeks ago someplace we have had service got nothing, but used DVD for the grandson. last weekend at another place we have had TV and nothing. So we get home were we have always had about 30 channels....scan and get only one set of over the air channels from one station, turn the booster off and loose them. double checked the antenna and other connections and all tight. another TV tried and no change.
Ideas????
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #18

When I screw this up, it's almost always that I forgot to change the "source" on the remote back to "air" or "antenna".

I forget a lot of stuff.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #19

Tele scan

Push the Ol' "antenna scan" button to the "on" position (a small light should illuminate).

Redo the television scan.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #20
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Have also replaced a lot of coax cable ends....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna