Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
DnL

TV Antenna Enhancer

Does anyone know if this antenna enhancer really works – really improves reception?
SENSAR RV VHF/UHF Television Antenna - #1 Antenna in the RV Industry!
DnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #2

Yes, it works great to improve UHF reception (channels above 7). It's trivial to install assuming you have the required clearance to the side of the antenna.

Many also swear by the Jack replacement head.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

It helps a little and for the price, it's a good deal. Watch the side clearance, though, I had to bend one of the little wings to clear my AC housing on my Georgetown.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #4

Wingman mage quite a difference with reception at our seasonal site. Took me longer to climb up and down the rear ladder than it did to install it.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #5

I added it to mine. It did not improve the reception but we are over 75 miles away from the TV towers.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #6

Don't bother or stick some aluminum foil up there. I bought Jackhead antennas for RV and home. Set RadioShack digital at a 30 out of 100 station swapped in Jackhead and it went to 65. Solid evidence.
Sorry if I confused anybody, that 100 signal strength, not number of stations.
parkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnL View Post
Does anyone know if this antenna enhancer really works – really improves reception?
SENSAR RV VHF/UHF Television Antenna - #1 Antenna in the RV Industry!
It works for us. Some channels that would pixilate now come in clear.

Several notes. The Wingman is directional......it needs to be aimed at the station. I do 3 searches when going to a new area, but turning the antennae about 120° between each position.

As others have noted, you need about 10" of clearance on the non-post side of your antennae.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
phat phrog stunt crew

all i pick up with my stock antenna is a couple local stations (1 or 2), lots of cooking/craft shows on the pbs stations, a couple college stations and english/spanish speaking religious programming.

what other channels do you pull in with those extra 35 channels? please dont tell me more of the same. for 30 or 40 bucks for the wingman, it may be worth it, but i dont want to spend the money if im just going to get more of what i already get.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #9

I also have the Weinguard Sensar antenna on my Rockwood 2306. I use the off air option all the time. Sometimes at the park we stay, we switch back and forth between antenna and CATV.

Yes, the wingman UHF add on elements will enhance reception. This is a passive device. It has no electrical connection between the antenna head and the add on unit. That's why it goes on with 3 plastic plugs.

It collects RF (Radio Frequency) power and because of the element length and spacing, redirects it into the antenna head where a small RF amplifier resides.

Although I have not noticed the difference myself yet (new to the RV life style) and haven't ventured far from my local area, but expect one would expect better performance when you get further from the broadcast transmitter, it will defiantly make a difference.

This is a UHF 3 element add on. It will only help if the station you are trying to receive is weak already

It enhances the UHF channels 14 - 69 which is where most new HDTV channels are located.

Beware, not every HD broadcaster has moved into the UHF band yet.

Adding gain to an antenna depends on many factors. Typically, the more "directors" (shortest elements) an antenna has, the better the gain will be.

With gain, comes selectivity. The ability to select one thing over another. This also increases directivity. Having to point at something as opposed to "just putting it on the roof"

So, if you are in a marginal reception area, the UHF add on elements will help. Don't expect to get 35 more channels. You may get a few. I got no more than before in my metropolitan area but already get 30+ with just the stock amplified antenna before adding the Wingman.

I would recommend adding it. As soon as a read the antenna documentation on the antenna I ordered it from my wholesaler as they just happen to be a Weinguard distributor.

Cheep enhancement to a already great antenna. Just wonder why Forrest River made it an extra in the first place.
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna