Old 09-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #1

TV Antenna Rotation Tips *NEEDED*

I suspect the answer is "tiral and error", but how do you know the best position to rotate your antenna? Mine is a Winegard that came with the 2014 Silverback. Any tips?

Old 09-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbouton View Post
I suspect the answer is "tiral and error", but how do you know the best position to rotate your antenna? Mine is a Winegard that came with the 2014 Silverback. Any tips?
what I do is,.......if we've never been in this cg, first I'll look at the surrounding rv's to get an idea of what direction most of them use,... I'll dial that in and then its truly trial and error to fine tune for the best reception,....

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #3

If you have internet access, there are multiple sites like antennaweb.org that will show you the direction and distance of each and every channel from your location. From there it is pretty easy.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
clr

There is an app for your phone or tablet called TV antenna helper it will show you all of the available channels and also display them on a compass so that you know what direction to point the antenna for whatever you want to watch.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #5

Thanks to you all for these very helpful tips.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

Some places there may be a 'best' position if all the off air stations broadcast from within a certain city but often times, stations are located many miles apart geographically.
The antenna may have to be pointed one direction to get certain channels and in a completely different position for others.

Back in the old analog signal days, this wasn't too difficult a task.
Whichever way the antenna was pointing, the stronger channels would scan into your TV just fine and the weaker channels would do so too but would show up snowy until you rotated your antenna for maximum picture gain.

With the onset of digital signals, the task of trying to obtain ALL available off air channels (with any kind of success) is increasingly difficult.
Digital channels require a much stronger signal to get the TV's receiver to tune/lock on to the channel. The weaker ones (which would require the antenna to be rotated differently) don't even scan in so they simply get skipped during the search.
Consequently, if you are looking for a specific network or channel, you may have to rotate the antenna and redo the scan. You'll quite likely lose the channels you originally received and obtain others in their place.

If you feel so compelled, you can research your location to get the channel numbers, (such as 6.1, 8.3, etc) manually input that channel number into your TV and then rotate the antenna to see if you can obtain signal.

Unfortunately, it simply is not as easy as it used to be!
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Nights Camped: '15 = 22'16 = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #7

Hi,

Another good app to try is TVfool.

It gives both chart- and graphic-based depictions, with distances, signal strength, etc., based on a zip code or town name for input.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #8
Site Team

And know which way the antenna needs to be turned to be "pointing" the right way. I went a few years thinking the old batwing should be lined up with the transmitter. Then found out it goes perpendicular to the transmitter. Duh!😟
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #9

What others have said about which direction other campers have there antenna pointed is a great start. Look in the set-up menu on your tv for the signal strength meter. Then you can fine tune the direction of the antenna to get the strongest signal. It might be a little different because not all transmitters are in the same location.

Link to pics:http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/Wi...?sort=4&page=1
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #10
Learning a lot as I go...

They sell a gadget for that

All responses true about perhaps different directions being needed for different stations.

What I do is turn on my gadget and spin the antenna looking for blue LEDs to light up on the gadget. Sometimes I have to adjust the gain knob for weak/strong signals. Move the antenna for the most LEDs lit up. Then launch the TV channel scan.

I have something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/KING-SL1000-S.../dp/B0045E3MHK

Tags
antenna