Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
Jim

TV Cable/Antenna issue

We have been on the road since first of January visiting Florida in our 2005 Cardinal. TV worked fine for first 4+ weeks using 2 nights on cable and the remainder of the time on antenna. About 1 1/2 weeks ago picture got a little distorted and snowy so I rotated the antenna. That did not improve it so I did a auto scan. It did not detect any channels on that and subsequent scans. The power light is on for antenna reception. We moved to another campground with cable and the cable worked fine. I replaced the antenna mast with a Winegard Sensar IV. Still will not memorize any channels when scanned. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
Site Team

Check the settings on TV to see what input you are on. TV channels today are digital and should be good, pixelated, or blank. You should not get snowy on digital channels.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #3

I have found many times that the ends on the coax cable are not properly installed. You can remove the cover plates and look at the connector that connects to the back side of the plate. Many times I have seen these improperly crimped which will lead to poor transmission of the signal. A strong signal from a cable tv provider might work, while weaker signals from your antenna might get "lost" trying to pass through a bad connection. Now, to properly install a connector, you need the right tools. Amazon, home depot, lowes, etc can help you out with that. One like this would work nicely: http://www.amazon.com/Ideal-153489-I...mpression+tool
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #4

I had about the same situation with antenna working on and off. got home and found connection on roof under rubber boot loose took 2 turns by hand to remove. Tightened up resealed roof connection problem solved. On a earlier trip also had issues with fuzzy cable pictures. in checking found lots of behind the walls connections loose.
thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
Jim

Thanks for the quick responses and suggestions. Going to check under boot on roof and then recepticles.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #6

I would also check the amplifier, just because the green light is on does not mean you are getting an amplified signal.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
Jim

Thanks. Decided to wait until I get home and go through all connections as well as the amplifier. Went out and purchased a $9.95 antenna and now have 29 channels memorized with it hanging over the shower in the bed room. A little complaint from the wife about the 10 foot cable I used!!!
Old 02-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
I would also check the amplifier, just because the green light is on does not mean you are getting an amplified signal.
The wall plate is not the amplifier; it is the power supply for the amplifier that is physically located in the antenna housing on the roof.

The wall plate is also a manually controlled RF switch that routes power from the supply while it orients the RF feed from the roof antenna (green light on) or depowers the power supply and orients the RF feed from the park cable input (green light off).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #9

We had that same issue on our Berkshire. We have a Jack antenna. It the Goshen rally the tech replaced the Jack antenna and it made no difference. It took a bit if detective work but it ended up being the push button switch in the entertainment cabinet failed. The light would come on but nothing worked.
Not sure you have the same setup as us but it might be worth checking before you replace the antenna.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna