Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 07:29 AM   #1

TV HDMI does not work for local channels using antenna

Hello everyone have a question about the TV hook up in a new 2019 Grey Wolf 22RR toy hauler. On the ceiling above where the TV mounts there are 3 connections. 110V electrical receptacle, coaxial, and HDMI.

I purchased a new VIZIO TV and connected to the HDMI. Went through the TV set up which included local channel search. No cable connected just using the antenna. The TV came up with no channels found. I new this wasn't right so I hooked up a RG6 Coaxial cable and run the search again and got 59 channels found.

Why is this. Shouldn't I be able to use the HDMI cable?

I usually have one of my grand kids do this stuff for me.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
Site Team

No HDMI will not work for OTA TV.

HDMI is a digital video and audio signal, while the OTA TV signal is the video and audio signal carried by a Radio Frequency carrier. In order to receive the OTA signal you need a tuner and decoder ( aka tuner /codec) to choose which signal ( channel) you want then remove the video and audio signal from the transmitted signal.

The HDMI input to the TV assumes you are providing a video and audio signal such as you would get out of a DVD player.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 05-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
No HDMI will not work for OTA TV.

HDMI is a digital video and audio signal, while the OTA TV signal is the video and audio signal carried by a Radio Frequency carrier. In order to receive the OTA signal you need a tuner and decoder ( aka tuner /codec) to choose which signal ( channel) you want then remove the video and audio signal from the transmitted signal.

The HDMI input to the TV assumes you are providing a video and audio signal such as you would get out of a DVD player.
^^^ Yea, what he said.

The antenna on your trailer is more or less a fancier version of the old rabbit ears everyone used to use before HDMI was even around. They typically used the coax connection.

The HDMI connection is likely for your built-in DVD player (assuming you have one.)
Old 05-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
^^^ Yea, what he said.

The antenna on your trailer is more or less a fancier version of the old rabbit ears everyone used to use before HDMI was even around. They typically used the coax connection.

The HDMI connection is likely for your built-in DVD player (assuming you have one.)
I have no built in DVD player any idea what else it might be.

thanks
Old 05-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #5

The other end of the hdmi cable is or should be connected to something!

Like a dvd or bluetooth player.

I have an outlet like that connected to the tv in a cabinet. for satellite receiver maybe.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #6

Button to switch to antenna

I don't know if this is the correct answer to your question or if it pertains to your camper. But our camper has a little button on the cabinet beside the tv, where you hook up a cable, that you have to push in order to use antenna instead of cable hookup. It is an easy solution if it works and is sure worth a try. Good luck!
Old 05-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #7

Try connecting the tv coax port to the antenna receptacle, and connecting the HDMI cable to a satellite/cable box, or your stereo for ARC connection. If you don't have any of these, the HDMI is of no value. Local has to come through the coax, because the other end of the coax on that receptacle goes to the OTA antenna.

Turn the little light ON for OTA and OFF for cable, and THEN do a channel search. If you have a cable/satellite box, you don't use the tv's channel capability at all, just set it on CH 03 and leave it there.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 05-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #8

Dennis, I can't explain this technically well as FlyBob but that HDMI connection should be seen as a way to connect another output device, such as a DVD player, to your TV.

It normally has nothing to do with viewing your TV channels (uness you had some sort of digital antenna with an HDMI plug output).

If you connect your new TV HDMI input to that RV HDMI input, you've just created a wire loop with no input. It would be like connecting a stereo speaker to another stereo speaker with no music source.

Use that HDMI input to connect some other output device -- like a DVD player -- to your TV (of course you then have to go to your TV input selector and select HDMI to see the video feed).

One more thought: if you have removed another TV to replace it with your new Vizio, you do have to make sure that the TV's HDMI input in the back of the TV is connected to a HDMI wire in your cabinet which is fed/powered by the prominent HDMI jack in your wall.

Hope that makes sense.

Larry

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Old 05-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

You may have the capability to play DVD's in your stereos CD slot. The manual for the stereo will have it outlined on how to play DVDs if the feature is built in. I just don't see FR supplying a HDMI cable or connection on the panel if your RV doesn't have the capability.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Old 05-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #10

Just looked at a video of your rig. The HDMI port is more than likely a run to the other HDMI port in the bedroom. If it is you can connect a tv in the bedroom to a DVD player or Sat receiver next to the pantry (or vice versa). You may be able to contact your sales rep and ask. I would expect them to be able to you.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
You may be able to contact your sales rep and ask. I would expect them to be able to you.
Sorry but [emoji23]🤣[emoji28][emoji38]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 05-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #12

Deleted
Old 05-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
HDMI can be used for a lot of things.Sat. TV,your laptop,DVD, Amazon Fire Stick or any other wifi connected device. We use sat, DVD and a fire stick plus sometimes my lap top.

All true. But the question was what is HDMI port on the ceiling connected to. To me it points to the other end being in the bedroom ceiling.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #14

The connections to which you are referring to are for additional equipment like a satellite box or a cable tv box or a Blu-ray player.
I took my entire system apart and re wired it. Now I can even run my electric guitar through it.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:12 AM   #15

If you downloaded a movie from Netflix to your phone or tablet, you can buy an hdmi adapter/cable for hooking up to your tv. Just Google which adapter you would need for either device.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:16 AM   #16

https://youtu.be/Ff9GfDpH42Q

This link will explain how.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:24 AM   #17

Thanks everyone. I figured it out with all your help.

The HDMI is connected to another HDMI located on the outside of the camper where you can mount the TV. So if I connect the DVD player via the HDMI in camper I can connect the outside TV to the HDMI and be connected to the inside DVD player.

There is no HDMI in the Bed room just the coaxial.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
Thanks everyone. I figured it out with all your help.

The HDMI is connected to another HDMI located on the outside of the camper where you can mount the TV. So if I connect the DVD player via the HDMI in camper I can connect the outside TV to the HDMI and be connected to the inside DVD player.

There is no HDMI in the Bed room just the coaxial.
See ! you can teach an Old Dog...New Tricks.
P.S. My oldest son is my Go-To for technology issues.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:00 AM   #19
RiderBloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
I have no built in DVD player any idea what else it might be.

thanks

If the newer 22RR is like my 2015 26RR then the Furrion radio unit is the DVD player. It used to have RCA outlets on that ceiling panel but if there’s a HDMI outlet on yours that will be from the Furrion unit.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
Old 05-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #20

Is amp turned on?
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna