Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
New Flagstaff Owner

TV on ZX500 Turns Off with 12V

Hello all. I searched the this forum but was not able to find anything on this particular issue, so sorry if it has already been addressed.

2009 Flagstaff 27BHSS with ZX500

My TV is turning itself off after about 5 seconds while running on 12V. Everything is fine while plugged in, and have never had any problems. I decided to test everything while the TT was unplugged. The stereo unit works fine and plays DVDs fine. However, the TV will only stay on for about 5 seconds and then turns off. Has anyone experienced this before?
ddossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #2

Yes, I have when 12v camping. The heater will do the same thing, also. If the battery drops below a pre determined voltage, in order to preserve battery life, the TV will cut off after a few seconds. I installed a second battery in the tongue area, to be able to watch TV longer. One cold night in particular, because the heater (big power hog) does the same thing, I had to hook the truck back up to the camper, and run the engine to produce enough juice for the battery to operate the blower. I would suspect the battery. Check the water in the cells, and be sure to charge it up fully. Hope this helps! (you can test this theory by either hooking up charge to the 12v tongue plug, or trying a known good battery and try the TV) Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
New Flagstaff Owner

Thanks

Randy,

That makes perfect sense. I keep my TT plugged in at the house and had unplugged it for a couple of weeks to give the battery a rest and drain them down a bit. I think it was about 50% charged according to the monitor panel when the TV was turning off. I am going to charge it up and try again. Thanks so much!

By the way - I love the Flagstaff Vlites. I hope you are enjoying yours. We looked at them before going to the smaller 27bhss, but once the kids get bigger I think a Vlite will be in our future!

Dave
ddossey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #4

Yes Dave, we do absolutely love our V lite! I can't imagine a better floorplan than this one. and the storage spaces in it are fabulous. We do Civil War reenacting in the winter months here in Florida, so the battery systems get used quite a bit then. We are one of the very few campers that can watch surround sound HDTV under battery power! Also, the power awning and power tongue jack is a "must have", and the dual slide outs make for plenty of living space in the bedroom, also. My one and only gripe is the rather small holding tanks on these. They do fill up rather quickly. 2 gray 25 gal, one black 25 gal., but one of the grays is for the kitchen sink only. I may rig up a hose and pump to transfer some gray to the other tank. Happy Camping !!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
27bhss, 500, zx500, 12 Volt