Old 09-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #1

TV power issue

Our Class C Forester is 8 years old. We bought it in April of this year. For a week now there has been an occasional interruption in the power to the TV. It would suddenly go off without warning. This morning it has NO power. We do not even know what to check. Any suggestions are definitely appreciated.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

Check to see if the TV outlet is controlled by a GFCI outlet somewhere else in the rig.
Often, different outlets throughout the rig are protected by a GFCI 'upstream' of one that has no power.

TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #3

Not a fix

Thanks for responding. There is only one GFCI - in the bathroom - and I hit the reset button after reading your suggestion. Still no power and I am wondering if the TV has just decided to die on us. The ConcertTone system has issues - no radio reception at all, so perhaps it is just the age of the electronics. Quite disappointing, as we are on a tight budget as are so many retirees.

I also wondered about the inverter, but really have no clue
Old 09-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #4

Have you tried plugging something else into the outlet where the TV is plugged in?
A light or anything will tell you if the outlet is OK.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #5

The outlet works fine. I take that as good news in the event that we buy a new TV
Old 09-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargiLou View Post
Thanks for responding. There is only one GFCI - in the bathroom - and I hit the reset button after reading your suggestion. Still no power and I am wondering if the TV has just decided to die on us. The ConcertTone system has issues - no radio reception at all, so perhaps it is just the age of the electronics. Quite disappointing, as we are on a tight budget as are so many retirees.

I also wondered about the inverter, but really have no clue
You may also have another GFCI on an outside outlet. If no other GFCis, it is possible that there is a loose connection in the outlet that powers the TV. The TV is usually powered by 110V ( shore power) while the radio is powered by the 12V ( battery/converter) system. Two separate systems.
Please clarify no radio reception . Does radio turn on, but no reception or not turn on at all?
Please clarify tv dies. Does tv turn on but no picture or not run on?

If both turn on but do not operate, it is most likely the antenna /antenna amplifier. Check to make sure the red or green light is on on the tv amplifier face plate. If it is and units turn on but receive nothing, it is most likely a loose connection in the coax connections from amplifier to the antenna. Some times the shield of the coax will pull loose from the connector and you will have an intermittent connection. You may have to remove the antenna amplifier face plate to check the lower end of the connections.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #7

If you can, pull the tv out of the rv and try it in the house. You'll need to do this anyway as it sure sounds like your 8 year old tv has given up the ship. If I get 8 years out of my tv (CONTIN-US brand) in my Wildcat, I'll think it's a miracle!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
If you can, pull the tv out of the rv and try it in the house. You'll need to do this anyway as it sure sounds like your 8 year old tv has given up the ship. If I get 8 years out of my tv (CONTIN-US brand) in my Wildcat, I'll think it's a miracle!

Before you pull the tv out, run an extension cord from a known good outlet in the RV or house to the tv and plug it in there.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #9

I plugged my phone and charger into the outlet and it works fine. The outdoor outlet simply says "GFCI Protected". Also, I used an extension cord to plug the TV in to a kitchen outlet that definitely works and the TV did not have power.

For clarification, the TV was shutting down while we were watching it. It would suddenly go black, but the red power light was always still on until this morning. It is no longer on. The green light is on on the antenna amplifier faceplate. As for the radio, it turns on, but all we get is static - not even a garbled signal. Right now we are 25 minutes from Orlando, so we certainly should pick up something. We have great reception on the dash radio and did when we pulled into the RV park. If the coax is the problem, do we have to turn of power somewhere before removing that faceplate?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
RiderBloke

Can you plug something else in to the radio via another input - eg. iPhone/iPad, DVD player, anything. Does that work? If so I suggest the radio unit is probably OK.
Try working step by step to fault find making just 1 change at a time and work on just one unit at a time.
Hope you are able to work out what is wrong before laying out your plastic/cash.

RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power