Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #1

TV reception

New to FR, but not camping. First post, other than the welcome forum.
Here's the question. 2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2703ws, LED lights, 32" TV, 17" in the bedroom. Turn on certain overhead lights or maybe the bedroom TV and it kills the signal to the living room TV. Not all the lights effect it. Even found out that streching out on the couch with my feet by the TV would kill the signal. Never noticed it with the other trailer we had. Lost that one in a fire. Any ideas.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #2

Hi
just got back from our 1st trip with a Windjammer 3025. Same problem ... most lights, when turned on, kill the TV reception (antenna). Basically can't get anything on the radio either.
retiredguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #3

Now that you mention it, the stations we usually get didn't come in very well on the radio either. I'm calling the dealer in the morning. I know they aren't going to believe this one. Have to call them anyway about the ladder they were supposed to get for me as part of the deal..
They didn't even know about the recall on the awning until I told them when we picked it up. They ordered the part but got a white one instead of black. Supposed to swap them when the ladder comes in.
Bob
Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #4

Did a google search and found that this seems to be a common and ongoing problem. Just have to use a flashlight in the bathroom so the tv will continue to get a signal. I will be checking the connectors that I can find and try to ground the whole coax system to the frame. Thanks for all the ideas.
Bob
Old 06-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #5

Hi Gooiebob. did your dealer say anything about your lights affecting your tv reception? I let my dealer know, but likely won't schedule a service call until we get a few more trips out with the unit. Might as well see what other glitches come up and want to see if I can find a cable connection to see if that's affected too. .

2013 Windjammer 3025
2018 Heartland trail Runner sle 265
2012 GMC 3500 6.6
2011 Razor 800
https://dougbevswanderings.blogspot.ca/
Old 06-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #6

I'm taking it in tomorrow for a fantastic fan install and hopefully a ladder on by Sat. We're leaving next Monday for a week. He knows about it but didn't seem to concerned. Hadn't heard about that problem. Probably on the fringe they said. I'll live with it for awhile and see if I can narrow it down myself. If I do find or here anything I'll post it. Just hear on here about cheap LED's being the interference. I was happy with bulbs as I don't boondock that much.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Just an update on my trailer. Got the ladder installed today. Had previously talked to Roger at FR and he was supposed to send some new led lights. When he asked if the TV interference also affected the radio, he seemed to know about the problem. Didn't come right out and ask him, just assuming. My salesman called FR while I was there today and had to leave a voice mail. Leaving for Orr, MN. Friday so I'll be able to do some more checking. Was in Ludington last week with the grandkids and didn't have much time to eperiment with the problem. Did have to rescan in the evening to get stations we didn't get during the day. Go figure.
Bob
Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #8

Just finished doing some experimenting with the tv on the antenna at home. After scanning the channels I found out that the signal will come and go depending on home many led lights I turn on. Didn't affect all channels but it did most of them. I don't know the brand my unit has but they are bright and both sections come on at the same time.
I don't believe it has anything to do with being on the fringe area of a station as my dealer suggested. Still haven't heard from him about his voice message to his contact at FR.
The number I called was 574-389-4600, ask for Roger in the warranty department. Going to MN Saturday and when I get there I'm calling him again next week after I try the same experiment up there. Hope this will help someone.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #9

Thanks Gooiebob for experimenting. We have found that the closer to a big centre the better the reception is and the less the LED's affect the picture..... but I still feel something is wrong. A perfect picture is affected by turning the lights on. Wonder if the system is grounded properly? to aluminum instead of steel? anyone have comments? will keep following this post as I likely won't take unit to the dealer until later this summer. So far the only other problems are a day/night blind and a drain support not installed properly. Minor but annoying.

2013 Windjammer 3025
2018 Heartland trail Runner sle 265
2012 GMC 3500 6.6
2011 Razor 800
https://dougbevswanderings.blogspot.ca/
Old 06-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #10

Sounds like a grounding problem to me.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
NELA

As I shared with the class last week, we met a couple at the lake last weekend with the same model we have, theirs is a '13 and ours is a '14.

DH complained about our TV reception ( we were getting NUTTIN!) and the gentleman was very kind in asking "well, are you using the "booster"? DUH, what's a booster?

Now we easily get 12 stations using that little green light button.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERmit View Post
As I shared with the class last week, we met a couple at the lake last weekend with the same model we have, theirs is a '13 and ours is a '14.

DH complained about our TV reception ( we were getting NUTTIN!) and the gentleman was very kind in asking "well, are you using the "booster"? DUH, what's a booster?

Now we easily get 12 stations using that little green light button.
Been there. Like to never found the booster button in our new rock wood 8282. Its under a desk, out of sight, unless you're on the floor looking. Lol.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #13

Same thing with our booster. Yes it is on and wouldn't have known where it was except I was vacuuming all the mess left from the factory in the cupboards and found it under the tv. We are camping in MN at Pelican Lake this week and the same thing happens. Watching a station, switched to another one, wife turns on a light, go back to previous station; gone, turn off the light, there's the station.
Any idea where the system ground is located on a 2703? I hate to take off the connections outside, so I'll start on the inside.
FR gets a call Monday morning.
Bob
Old 06-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Site Team

Sorry I don't know that. Hoping someone will chime in. Only had my 8282 a month. We looked hard at the 2703. Has the same floorplan as our 5th wheel. Haven't had trouble with lights and TV but did read on here a while back that LEDs transmit a weak signal of some kind and others were having trouble with TV and LEDs. If I find that post I'll send it to you.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Denver, CO

why with that particular camper? I hav e no issues once I changed my antenna hear and use a signal meter to point the antenna.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

My bet is that you have lose connection somewhere. I had a similar problem with my TV.....depending on where I was in the camper, the TV would pick up a station......or not. The TV had worked well before that. I traced the problem to where the coaxial came through the roof. The center wire had corroded out of both ends of the roof connection. Being that the camper in question is a 2013 model, I doubt that is the problem, but a similar break in the line or bad connection could be the problem.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #17

Been trying to trace the cable and antenna coax tonight. Can't seem to find the splitter from the booster for the bedroom and outside connection by the door. 2013, 2703ws. Any ideas? Gray coax from the antenna to the booster. Orange out to the bedroom, purple to the outside by the door. I found one splitter by the booster for the aux/sat connection. Wiring runs under the floor of the slideout. Can't find any other splitters. All the connections I've found so far have been loose. Pitiful.
Thanks
Bob
Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #18

For those who have been wondering about the television reception with the LEDs, I have been in contact with Roger at FR. My earlier post will explain why I've called them. While on vacation in MN, I still had problems so I called him again. Apparently my dealer was supposed to order replacement lights and didn't. I asked if I could have them mailed to me and I received them today. Haven't had time to install any yet but thought I would post the specs of the old and new ones.

Old: Sunlink, Model RVLEDPC2-008, LED driver model 700, input DC 10028v, output 700ma, 12" long, 4 3/4 wide., double light, round LEDs, switch in the middle.

New: Sunlink, Model RVCOBPC4-008, 12v dc, 5w, COB LED, Driver model 850, input 9-15v, output 850ma, 9" long, 3 3/4" wide oval, 1 long LED, switch on the end.

These specs might mean something to someone, but not me.

Hope to get to them soon but will need some almond colored filler for the screw holes due to the size difference.

Bob
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #19

Got around to changing the LEDs today. Here's the results, all done at the house.

Scanned the tv through the antenna. Every old light turned on one at a time would kill certain stations. Replaced the old with the new and checked them also one at a time. It took four of the new lights to kill the same stations as one of the old lights. Making some progress. Need to get back to the first place we camped and see if it makes a difference there. Probably won't make it this year.
This wouldn't be a deal breaker even if I would have known before I bought, just frustrating. I probably would have asked to have the lights changed to bulbs.
Bob