Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

TV reception with JACK HD antenna

Purchased the JACK and it really does bring in the channels with a crystal clear reception. When I connect the antenna to the exterior connector on the trailer, the TV detects very few channels and the signals are weak (many non-viewable). In contrast, when I hook the antenna directly to the back of the TV, 20+ channels are found and all are strong and crystal clear.

Is the signal strength lost via the external connector because of all the splitters and distance travelled before reaching the TV?

Is there a way to get the strong signal strength to the TV via the outside connector?

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #2

I don't know your trailer but are there 2 connectors on the outside where you are hooking it into? How are they marked?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I don't know your trailer but are there 2 connectors on the outside where you are hooking it into? How are they marked?
There is no marking on the connectors. There is a single connector with a rubber cap. This one is beside an outlet where you lift the flap. There are 2 connectors inside this outlet. I just assumed the single was an "in" and the 2 inside the box were "out".

Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
There is no marking on the connectors. There is a single connector with a rubber cap. This one is beside an outlet where you lift the flap. There are 2 connectors inside this outlet. I just assumed the single was an "in" and the 2 inside the box were "out".
The 2 under the flap should be marked Cable and Satellite. The single is a telephone jack????
Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #5

The single connector with the rubber cap is an OUT. It should come off of the antenna if the antenna is hooked in like it comes from the factory. (there is at least a two way splitter in that antenna system) The 2 connectors under the door are both in's. One of them should go directly to a connection around your TV panel. In most it is marked cable on the outside. Try using that one.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #6

Why can't you bring the signal from the new antenna in on the original cable that was on the roof for an antenna?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #7

It could be a bad cable connection, bad cable, or the antenna amplifier switch in the wrong position

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Still confused about the "Jack" using the satellite/cable connection on the outside. There is no way to get power to the Jack to even work...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBL and SAT inputs.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	55037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard wall plate rear.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	55038  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #9

Quote:
The single connector with the rubber cap is an OUT. It should come off of the antenna if the antenna is hooked in like it comes from the factory. (there is at least a two way splitter in that antenna system) The 2 connectors under the door are both in's. One of them should go directly to a connection around your TV panel. In most it is marked cable on the outside. Try using that one.
I'll give this a try next time out. (Strange there are 2 "ins"?). Yes, I could go to the roof. The idea was to place the antenna (made a stand for it) on the truck bed and just connect it to the trailer. The factory antenna is fine for certain locations and I wanted to leave this as is.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Still confused about the "Jack" using the satellite/cable connection on the outside. There is no way to get power to the Jack to even work...
I hook the JACK to my spare 12V battery in the truck bed.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
I hook the JACK to my spare 12V battery in the truck bed.
OK, then try this:

Use the "IN" Marked "SAT" and connect your TV to the SAT/AUX marked wall plate connection.

You "might" be able to use the one marked CABLE, by turning off the wall plate (no light on) and then you can use the distribution network off of the TV/TV2 output of the wall plate.

Remember you will still need to scan for TV channels every time you re-orient the Jack antenna.
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #12

Quote:
OK, then try this:

Use the "IN" Marked "SAT" and connect your TV to the SAT/AUX marked wall plate connection.

You "might" be able to use the one marked CABLE, by turning off the wall plate (no light on) and then you can use the distribution network off of the TV/TV2 output of the wall plate.

Remember you will still need to scan for TV channels every time you re-orient the Jack antenna.
Ok, that makes sense. We won't be out with the trailer till the beginning of August. I'll give all these suggestions a try. THX!

Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
I was thinking about that also but when he said he hooked the Jack directly to the TV and got all those channels I figured he had a power injector inline already.
I still think replacing the old antenna on the roof with the Jack and be done with it is the way to go.

But after reading his last post I think there is a much bigger problem. Having to wait all the way until the first of August to go out in the camper is a crime!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #14

Quote:
But after reading his last post I think there is a much bigger problem. Having to wait all the way until the first of August to go out in the camper is a crime!
Good one! Not retired yet. We do get between 4-5 weeks of trailer time each year. We have about 2 weeks left this year.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #15

Well that's plenty of time. We are not retired yet either but take every other weekend off, sometimes 3 day weekends, and find something within a few hours drive time. We are blessed with a lot of options where we live in North Carolina.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #16

Make sure all the connectons going into the wall jacks are good. Have a 2014 Rockwood 2104S and all the connections in the wall jacks had come loose. I couldn't get but three channels, and after checking the connections behind the panels I was getting 30. Same thing happend to my power button for my awning, the wire came loose from the spade.
GAC2460 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, reception, tv reception