Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern Ontario Canada
Posts: 273
TV reception with JACK HD antenna

Purchased the JACK and it really does bring in the channels with a crystal clear reception. When I connect the antenna to the exterior connector on the trailer, the TV detects very few channels and the signals are weak (many non-viewable). In contrast, when I hook the antenna directly to the back of the TV, 20+ channels are found and all are strong and crystal clear.

Is the signal strength lost via the external connector because of all the splitters and distance travelled before reaching the TV?

Is there a way to get the strong signal strength to the TV via the outside connector?
__________________

__________________

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pfafftown NC
Posts: 2,064
I don't know your trailer but are there 2 connectors on the outside where you are hooking it into? How are they marked?
__________________

__________________
Evereddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern Ontario Canada
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I don't know your trailer but are there 2 connectors on the outside where you are hooking it into? How are they marked?
There is no marking on the connectors. There is a single connector with a rubber cap. This one is beside an outlet where you lift the flap. There are 2 connectors inside this outlet. I just assumed the single was an "in" and the 2 inside the box were "out".
__________________

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
There is no marking on the connectors. There is a single connector with a rubber cap. This one is beside an outlet where you lift the flap. There are 2 connectors inside this outlet. I just assumed the single was an "in" and the 2 inside the box were "out".
The 2 under the flap should be marked Cable and Satellite. The single is a telephone jack????
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pfafftown NC
Posts: 2,064
The single connector with the rubber cap is an OUT. It should come off of the antenna if the antenna is hooked in like it comes from the factory. (there is at least a two way splitter in that antenna system) The 2 connectors under the door are both in's. One of them should go directly to a connection around your TV panel. In most it is marked cable on the outside. Try using that one.
__________________
Evereddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pfafftown NC
Posts: 2,064
Why can't you bring the signal from the new antenna in on the original cable that was on the roof for an antenna?
__________________
Evereddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Ddubya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sherman Texas
Posts: 262
It could be a bad cable connection, bad cable, or the antenna amplifier switch in the wrong position
__________________
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,154
Still confused about the "Jack" using the satellite/cable connection on the outside. There is no way to get power to the Jack to even work...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBL and SAT inputs.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	55037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard wall plate rear.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	55038  
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern Ontario Canada
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
The single connector with the rubber cap is an OUT. It should come off of the antenna if the antenna is hooked in like it comes from the factory. (there is at least a two way splitter in that antenna system) The 2 connectors under the door are both in's. One of them should go directly to a connection around your TV panel. In most it is marked cable on the outside. Try using that one.
I'll give this a try next time out. (Strange there are 2 "ins"?). Yes, I could go to the roof. The idea was to place the antenna (made a stand for it) on the truck bed and just connect it to the trailer. The factory antenna is fine for certain locations and I wanted to leave this as is.
__________________

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern Ontario Canada
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Still confused about the "Jack" using the satellite/cable connection on the outside. There is no way to get power to the Jack to even work...
I hook the JACK to my spare 12V battery in the truck bed.
__________________

__________________

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
antenna, reception, tv reception

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.