Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

TV stations disappear at night?

Own a 2011 Berkshire 390QS. I have noticed this happening on this coach as well as my last camping trailer. Using the installed TV antenna on the roof & pointing it in the proper direction for good reception, then programming the TV to receive channels, I get as many as 35 channels during day light hours. As the sun sets, those same channels disappear & cannot be retrieved. Now I have about 10 channels. Why does this happen?

Chester Hill
Chester Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Site Team

I've heard that some LED lights have been known to cause interference with TV signals. Which you would likely only have on at night.

May also have something to do with the signals traveling better during the day vs. at night but I don't know the science behind it.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #3

Iwritecode is correct, the LED lights can be the problem, .... we have two ceiling lights in the bathroom controlled by one wall switch, even though they each have their own switch at the light itself, ... we've discovered one light affects one channel and the other affects another channel, ... aggravating, sure, but knowing it, we just be sure the certain light is turned off, problem solved, ... play with your LED's and you'll probably find the culprit

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #4

As an old CB'r, have always known that atmospheric conditions change between daylight and nighttime hours. I experience the same thing in my TT at certain local CG's. I would see the same thing happen with my CB's way back then, but with a CB I was able to get more distance at night as apposed to daytime. People are also correct with the LED interference as a possible cause.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Was it after they played the national anthem? Just kidding. Remember those days though? "This concludes our broadcasting day. Thank you for tuning in."
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
Site Team

Yes, we have several threads on rfi (radio frequency interference) and LED lighting. See if that is what happens, when you turn the lights on.

I'll try to to find you some of these threads or you can search on rfi.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
As an old CB'r, have always known that atmospheric conditions change between daylight and nighttime hours. I experience the same thing in my TT at certain local CG's. I would see the same thing happen with my CB's way back then, but with a CB I was able to get more distance at night as apposed to daytime. People are also correct with the LED interference as a possible cause.

Many radio and TV stations are required to reduce transmitting power at night to keep their signal from interfering with stations in other parts of the world using the same frequencies.

It has to do with the skywave being reflected back to earth from the ionosphere which can change in altitude as the land below it is heated or cooled.

Yes, RFI from inside one's RV can interfere. Easy to tell though. Turn on radio and set to an AM station. Switch on LED lights and see if you can still hear the station noise free. Do likewise with another RFI noise generator, the inverter.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #8
Site Team

A few previous threads on rfi:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1938145

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...age-82685.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...hts-41559.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:26 PM   #9
Old Engineer

TitanMike wins with the most correct and complete answer!
FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #10

Do not believe it is the LED lights. Had his same problem at night when we had our older camping trailer which had no LED lights. I believe it is the night time atmospheric conditions that create the issue.
Chester Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #11
tootall1

TV channels

The stations reduce amount of power they use to transmit because of cost of
operation. They don’t transmit at full power 24/7. Once there Federal obligation
is accomplished they cut transmission.
tootall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #12

Never heard of signal fade at night from TV stations before or after the advent of digital frequencies. AM radio stations are affected by the "clear channel" rules which require non-clear channel stations to either reduce power or go off the air at night. Skip is either the bane or joy for many CBers. I worked for a UHF TV station in Wisconsin in the late 60's and we got a few QSL cards from HAMS who picked us up far past our intended range.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Hill View Post
Do not believe it is the LED lights. Had his same problem at night when we had our older camping trailer which had no LED lights. I believe it is the night time atmospheric conditions that create the issue.

Chester, you may not believe its the LED's, and it might not be, but they are the easiest possibility to eliminate, ... just flip the switch, ... I know for a fact that our bathroom LED's causes our problem, because we lose the signal any time I flip the switch and turn on the lights, DAY OR NIGHT, when I flip it off the signal comes back, , ... I know my bathroom light switch doesn't control the atmospheric conditions on and off, all it controls is the lights, so I'm sticking with the lights as being the problem, ...

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Was it after they played the national anthem? Just kidding. Remember those days though? "This concludes our broadcasting day. Thank you for tuning in."
Thanks, now I won’t post a similar response.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote