Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 01:03 PM   #21

The light in my frig generated a lot of heat. If it is not turning off it would war up the frig.
I replaced the bulb with led type and it is much cooler.

Good luck
Bob
Brokentone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #22
Site Team

My dometic frig experience.
1. Don't pack it full. Air has to circulate.
2. Thermistor as high as you can get it on first fun from right. (Can lower it when temp gets to optimum.)
3. Extra exhaust fans in rear help a little.
4. It heat of summer try to get heavy shade spots or frig side to any direction but west. (Evening sun pounding on wall with frig is hard to overcome.)
5. Internal fan to move air.
6. Last year a a frog rally, a fr tech told me it will get colder by moving thermistor to middle fins, still at the top.
I also had to take top outside cover off once to improve air flow through the rear.
I even replaced the thermistor with the dial (cut the plug) and still battle maintaining right temp. Buy the problem now is food freezing in the frig.
Best of luck. Your frig may be fine but needs some tweaking on the hot days, like the rest of us.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:21 PM   #23

I certainly appreciate the replies. I went out early this morning around 630am and it got down into the low 70's last night and the fan wasn't running but the temp was down to 43F. Came home this evening after another hot day and was still reading 48F. It's been warm out many other days and everything was fine until it started blinking LP. It goes to the dealer tomorrow so they can at least take a look at it. The service Manager said that even in hotter temps. it should be staying cool and they haven't really had any problems with them....we'll see. I'll be sure to post what they say as this seems to be an issue. Meanwhile, I ordered a internal fan to help. Thanks again everyone!!!!
Old 05-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #24

X2 on removing the top vent panel, significantly improves air flow and noticeable helps cool the contents
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:41 AM   #25

When new, the Dometic fridge in our 2011 Georgetown ran the cooling unit continuously but never got the fridge temperature below 50F and the freezer much below 32F during the day. It turned out that there was nothing wrong with the fridge but it suffered from an almost correct installation.

The "cabinet" for the fridge had an inch of space on either side of it and around six inches dead space above it. When the sun was shining on the side of the rig, this space would heat up to well over 120 degrees, causing the problem. The cure was to fill the spaces around the fridge with insulation. It's worked perfectly since then.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
When new, the Dometic fridge in our 2011 Georgetown ran the cooling unit continuously but never got the fridge temperature below 50F and the freezer much below 32F during the day. It turned out that there was nothing wrong with the fridge but it suffered from an almost correct installation.

The "cabinet" for the fridge had an inch of space on either side of it and around six inches dead space above it. When the sun was shining on the side of the rig, this space would heat up to well over 120 degrees, causing the problem. The cure was to fill the spaces around the fridge with insulation. It's worked perfectly since then.

Phil
I'll be sure to have them look for that because I swear I saw a few inch gap at the top but I'm not a HVAC guy so don't know any better. Thanks
Old 06-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #27

Update.....Our dealer had the unit for about 2 weeks and they said they have had it plugged in since the day after I brought it to them and of course hasn't acted up. I called them the day before we were supposed to take it back out and just by the panic in his voice and mumbo/jumbo he was telling me it seems they didn't look at it until that day. He said they "adjusted the thermistor" and put it on a by-pass mode which would keep it more like the freezer. So far all it's done is stay between 39F-41F and now makes a hi-low buzzing noise right at the cooling fin area on the inside of the frig. He said to bring it back so they can diagnose it further, I asked him how many things can you look at and you had it for almost two weeks, when do you determine it just needs a new unit!, His reply..we'll just have to see if we find anything. Also, our weather has been in the low to mid 70's for highs and as low as 50's-60's for lows. Will update.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #28

At least he told you the truth that they hadn't looked at it until you got ready to pick it up. That seems to be typical of most rv repair.

My advice.... if you take it camping fill a couple of gallon plastic containers filled with frozen water ( make it up a couple of days before you leave ) and put those in the fridge on something to catch the condensation. Then document the best you can when it goes out. Pictures help especially if they have the date and time.

Then try contacting the refrigerator manufacturer. It's possible they might cover repairs by a mobile rv tech.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
At least he told you the truth that they hadn't looked at it until you got ready to pick it up. That seems to be typical of most rv repair.

My advice.... if you take it camping fill a couple of gallon plastic containers filled with frozen water ( make it up a couple of days before you leave ) and put those in the fridge on something to catch the condensation. Then document the best you can when it goes out. Pictures help especially if they have the date and time.

Then try contacting the refrigerator manufacturer. It's possible they might cover repairs by a mobile rv tech.
Another trick used by truckers with frozen cargo:
1> Freeze a water bottle half full.
2> Make sure your RV freezer is below 32 degrees.
3> Place frozen water bottle in the RV freezer on its side.
4> If it warms up water or ice will be on the side.

I installed a Digital Thermometer from Amazon. I mounted it on the side of the fridge and monitor the internal temperature. We liked it so much, I bought one for the home fridge.

Amazon: AcuRite Refrigerator/Freezer Wireless Digital Thermometer

Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital Thermometer 510mOY9AjhL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	175898
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #30

Update... The dealer had it for a while, said it was plugged in the whole time (which I seriously doubt) and they didn't find anything. They adjusted the thermistor and put it on the second to last cooling fin. We picked it up and went on our trip and it stayed between 38-40F which is better but kind of on the threshold for spoiled food. After we got home I ended up removing the top piece of wall board behind the outside cover and instantly felt a huge amount of hot air coming out. We went on a 4 day trip this weekend and kept the board out and the frig. stayed right around 36-37F then found they re set the cooling setting to 3 so I turned it back up to 5 and now stays right around 33-35F even in the high 80's low 90's we had. When this whole thing started I think the thermistor fell off the cooling fin and we just didn't notice it, hopefully that's all it was. Thanks again for everyone's replies, I really appreciate it.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #31

Quote:
I installed a Digital Thermometer from Amazon. I mounted it on the side of the fridge and monitor the internal temperature. We liked it so much, I bought one for the home fridge.
And you can have the remote display in the tow vehicle while traveling. One of the best additions I made to my trailer
RB19RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #32

For being a new member (but a long time RVer) I hate to sound critical but I highly encourage folks to not travel and run down the highway with their propane bottles open. It's never a good idea.....
But my food you might ask.....if your RV fridge is cooled down before you travel you will only lose 4-5 degrees in six to seven hours of driving...
Sorry to be negative but if you had an accident (today's passenger car drivers make that highly probable&#128513 then your TT becomes a nothing more than a potential atom bomb if the propane tanks are on.
ARICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #33
Ben f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briyoung View Post
Update... The dealer had it for a while, said it was plugged in the whole time (which I seriously doubt) and they didn't find anything. They adjusted the thermistor and put it on the second to last cooling fin. We picked it up and went on our trip and it stayed between 38-40F which is better but kind of on the threshold for spoiled food. After we got home I ended up removing the top piece of wall board behind the outside cover and instantly felt a huge amount of hot air coming out. We went on a 4 day trip this weekend and kept the board out and the frig. stayed right around 36-37F then found they re set the cooling setting to 3 so I turned it back up to 5 and now stays right around 33-35F even in the high 80's low 90's we had. When this whole thing started I think the thermistor fell off the cooling fin and we just didn't notice it, hopefully that's all it was. Thanks again for everyone's replies, I really appreciate it.

Ideal temp for a fridge is 37 degrees. It doesn’t begin to spoil until the temp of the actual food reaches 45 degrees for more than 2 hours. Setting your fridge that cold is not necessary.
benf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #34

Hopefully last update...the frig was ok staying around 37-40 in warmer temps after taking the top baffle (piece of wood) out but then I added a Titan dual fan set up, put it right in front of the cooling fins to draw hot air out and it did but now frig temps are 40-45 during the day and 37-40 at night. called the dealer to update him and he said sounds like we're just going to have to replace the unit but want to do a few more tests, I asked how many damn tests can you do to a frig before you replace it! I kind of went off on them but I think rightfully so, they had this for almost 2 weeks and didn't do anything! They said it would be at least 2 weeks to warranty a frig and replace it!? Just not super impressed with the dealer or Rockwoods at this point, I've had to fix a number of small things on my own because it would have taken longer to them fix it and we bought a camper to use not to be tied up at the dealer for weeks. Hopefully this will be the last dealer visit!
Old 07-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARICE View Post
For being a new member (but a long time RVer) I hate to sound critical but I highly encourage folks to not travel and run down the highway with their propane bottles open. It's never a good idea.....
But my food you might ask.....if your RV fridge is cooled down before you travel you will only lose 4-5 degrees in six to seven hours of driving...
Sorry to be negative but if you had an accident (today's passenger car drivers make that highly probable&#128513 then your TT becomes a nothing more than a potential atom bomb if the propane tanks are on.

I'm a long time RV'er too, like since 1972. I always leave my propane on and my refrigerator on. I do turn it off when gassing up but other than that it runs on propane until I start the generator or plug into shore power.

Propane systems have these little things called "safety valves" and if you have a standing pilot system and it blows out, gas gets shut off. If you have DSI and the heater fails to light, gas shuts off. Both are proven systems and the "Don't drive with propane on" is essentially an old wives tale that gets passed around campfires.

Now if you have a leaking propane system, that's a different animal altogether.

To the OP, invest in a small battery operated fan that fits inside your refrigerator. Leave it running while sitting on the bottom of the refrigerator compartment. It will keep the air from stratifying with warm air at top and cool air at bottom. One D-Cell will keep it running for around 30 days.

I turn my refrigerator on about a week before any trip and let it run on electricity to get temperature down and adjusted properly. This lets me spot any issues with the refrigerator before I load it with food.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I'm a long time RV'er too, like since 1972. I always leave my propane on and my refrigerator on. I do turn it off when gassing up but other than that it runs on propane until I start the generator or plug into shore power.

Propane systems have these little things called "safety valves" and if you have a standing pilot system and it blows out, gas gets shut off. If you have DSI and the heater fails to light, gas shuts off. Both are proven systems and the "Don't drive with propane on" is essentially an old wives tale that gets passed around campfires.

Now if you have a leaking propane system, that's a different animal altogether.

To the OP, invest in a small battery operated fan that fits inside your refrigerator. Leave it running while sitting on the bottom of the refrigerator compartment. It will keep the air from stratifying with warm air at top and cool air at bottom. One D-Cell will keep it running for around 30 days.

I turn my refrigerator on about a week before any trip and let it run on electricity to get temperature down and adjusted properly. This lets me spot any issues with the refrigerator before I load it with food.
Our trailer is plugged in pretty much all summer and was fine for the first few weeks keeping the temps in the low 30's but it's been getting progressively worse even after adding a external dual fan system and a circulation fan inside the frig. My opinion, just a bad unit. We have a dorm frig in our shop that's probably well over 100F and it keeps drinks ice cold all summer.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARICE View Post
Sorry to be negative but if you had an accident (today's passenger car drivers make that highly probable[emoji16]) then your TT becomes a nothing more than a potential atom bomb if the propane tanks are on.
When we had an RV with the older type small fridge the interior temp would only rise 3 or 4 degrees after several hours with no propane or electricity. We always chilled it down a few days before travel and only packed it with cold food.

Our Forester has an oversized 4 door fridge. We did the same with it and temp rose from 35 to 50 in only 2 hours. I'm glad we had purchased the wireless thermometer set with the warning alarm like rk06382 has.

I turned on the propane for the remaining travel time and plugged in when we stopped for the night. It took almost 24 hours to get back down to 36 so I won't be doing that again.

We've learned since that there are enough opportunities to purchase food along the road so we don't pack a lot of it anymore.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briyoung View Post
Our trailer is plugged in pretty much all summer and was fine for the first few weeks keeping the temps in the low 30's but it's been getting progressively worse even after adding a external dual fan system and a circulation fan inside the frig. My opinion, just a bad unit. We have a dorm frig in our shop that's probably well over 100F and it keeps drinks ice cold all summer.

Absorbtion type refrigeration system versus compressor/freon type. Different animals when it comes to ambient temps.

Your RV fridge may have a leak and needs to be serviced. Often a better option than replacing.

BTW, as long as cold food is kept below 40 degrees it's technically OK. Frozen food needs to be kept below freezing and what temp usually is decided by how hard you like your ice cream.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #39
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The slide thing is a thermistor. Temperature control. Moving it up is colder. Start about 1/3 the way up. Should be good to go.
I was having issues with mine and I had a hard time trying to find where to place that thermister thingy...

I finally found a link that said to move it lower and to the left to make the fridge colder.

That worked for my Norcold...which is in a slide-out.

However, I just arrived home to Yuma, AZ over the weekend and was keeping some stuff in the fridge of my 5'ver.

But, with the outside temp at 108 degrees yesterday, the inside temp of the fridge was up to 85 degrees...so I emptied the fridge and turned it off!

Was just keeping some bottled water out there anyway, so no big deal!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I was having issues with mine and I had a hard time trying to find where to place that thermister thingy...

I finally found a link that said to move it lower and to the left to make the fridge colder.

That worked for my Norcold...which is in a slide-out.

However, I just arrived home to Yuma, AZ over the weekend and was keeping some stuff in the fridge of my 5'ver.

But, with the outside temp at 108 degrees yesterday, the inside temp of the fridge was up to 85 degrees...so I emptied the fridge and turned it off!

Was just keeping some bottled water out there anyway, so no big deal!
I think they're put together just as fast and just as cheaply as these rv's. There's just no consistency, I talked to 3 other friends who both have Dometic frig. and they haven't had any issues and all are plugged in and in the same heat. Our last camper was a 2018 Keystone Passport and the frig. was not in the slide but left it plugged in all summer and only had to put the setting on 3 and food was frozen at times. Who knows, it's at the dealer now and they looked at it first thing this morning and he said hopefully they'll know something by this afternoon.