Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #1

Verizon jetpack

In as much as I can’t count on a satellite signal I’m looking for an alternative. I just installed a Samsung smart TV and I’m looking at the Verizon jetpack. So is it awesome or a piece of junk? Most places we go get very good data service with Verizon. TIA.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #2

I have had a older Verizon jet Pac since they came out. It works great imo. I have been across the whole USA, I can count on 1 hand how many times I lost a signal and that was at least 6 years ago. I have the unlimited hot spot plan, you will get 4 LTE until you use 22 gigs, they say they could reduce your speed then, but I have never had it happen to me...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Got mine a couple of months ago not the newest version as I bought used cheap and it works great. Used all weekend at the Atlanta race track. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I have had a older Verizon jet Pac since they came out. It works great imo. I have been across the whole USA, I can count on 1 hand how many times I lost a signal and that was at least 6 years ago. I have the unlimited hot spot plan, you will get 4 LTE until you use 22 gigs, they say they could reduce your speed then, but I have never had it happen to me...
unlimited 22gb hot spot is only for your phone . the jet pack is limited to 15gb . just went through this with verizon . got the beyond unlimited and gave the the # to the jet pack and was very specific as to wanting to increase the gb on the jet pack . after getting first bill it was one my phone the 22gb . called verizon and they flat out said it won't work with the jet pack only only the phone , though about dumping the jet pack and jusdt using phone
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
Site Team

I'm very happy with my Verizon Jet Pack. I've had it three plus years and it has consistently worked well every where I've carried it. Using SpeedTest I've averaged around 15-17Mbs Download and 3-4Mbs Upload. Not blazing fast but more than adequate for email, surfing, and Youtube...
Old 03-03-2019, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
unlimited 22gb hot spot is only for your phone . the jet pack is limited to 15gb . just went through this with verizon . got the beyond unlimited and gave the the # to the jet pack and was very specific as to wanting to increase the gb on the jet pack . after getting first bill it was one my phone the 22gb . called verizon and they flat out said it won't work with the jet pack only only the phone , though about dumping the jet pack and jusdt using phone

Last year I had a regular postpaid jetpack plan that throttled after your allotted GB, but I just activated the fully unlimited prepaid jetpack plan last week.

If you go with the prepaid jetpack plan it is unlimited data for $65 per month with autopay, $70 without autopay. There is no data limit on the prepaid plan like the 15gb on the regular postpaid plan. They don't throttle at all if you go over a certain amount on prepaid and it is real unlimited. The only catch is that they say in times of network congestion, there may be "prioritization". Most people here that have the plan have never gotten "prioritized"

I've been testing it at home since last week on my 7730 Jetpack and it's been fast and reliable for streaming video on my Amazon Firestick.

Here's a thread where we were just discussing these options the last week or so:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-179114.html

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Reverse your numbers. Postpaid plans are limited to 15 gig of hotspot data and then it slows to 600 kbs or less. The 22 gig is for Jetpack. Verizon (and AT&T) is very deceptive when they talk about the unlimited stuff...basically it’s a bunch of BS. Current postpaid plans do offer unlimited data but that’s just a legal term to bring in the suckers. Some of the older plans are decent but ALL the new ones slow speeds down at certain usage thresholds. It’s unlimited data at unusable speeds.

What the OP needs is the Verizon PREPAID Jetpack only plan. No phone, text, etc. only data...and it works great. During the seven days I used the 8800 Jetpack during the Atlanta Nascar I used 62 gigabytes of data and it never slowed down...even though they say it “might” be momentarily slowed after 22 gig if the tower is overloaded. Slowest speed I ever saw was 28 mbps.

Most of the Verizon reps are clueless about the unlimited plan and will really try to convince you to get a postpaid plan. Insist on prepaid ($70 a month) plan number 28366. If the rep still doesn’t work with you go to another store. Had a friend try to get it a couple weeks ago and had to go to three VZ stores before finding a knowledgeable rep.

For the OP...get the Jetpack 7730 or 8800. Once activated it’s just another Wi-Fi network limited to 15 devices connected at once. Your smart tv, AppleTV, Rolu, Amazon Fire, etc., will all connect and work great.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:00 PM   #8

Thanks guy’s a lot of great information. Since it’s prepaid can you just pay as you go or is it monthly.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #9

Great info looking for a solution for this myself.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
Thanks guy’s a lot of great information. Since it’s prepaid can you just pay as you go or is it monthly.
You pay by the month but since there is no contract you can cancel and renew at Will. Be careful...VZ is notorious for canceling the really good plans and unless you have it at the time it’s cancelled you can’t get it back. There are thousands of unhappy folks who cancelled or didn’t renew the original unlimited postpaid plans. Those plans went away several years ago but active customers when it went away still have it.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:23 PM   #11

With the JetPack and Verizon you can suspend and re-activate the device without loosing the plan.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #12

Guess I’ll be heading to the VZ store tomorrow.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
Last year I had a regular postpaid jetpack plan that throttled after your allotted GB, but I just activated the fully unlimited prepaid jetpack plan last week.

If you go with the prepaid jetpack plan it is unlimited data for $65 per month with autopay, $70 without autopay. There is no data limit on the prepaid plan like the 15gb on the regular postpaid plan. They don't throttle at all if you go over a certain amount on prepaid and it is real unlimited. The only catch is that they say in times of network congestion, there may be "prioritization". Most people here that have the plan have never gotten "prioritized"

I've been testing it at home since last week on my 7730 Jetpack and it's been fast and reliable for streaming video on my Amazon Firestick.

Here's a thread where we were just discussing these options the last week or so:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-179114.html

Ray
I'll look into that since ii just got done with verizon a month ago about getting more data for the jet pack and being told it's only for phones . to the point where i changed my plan in november only to see the data went to my phone not jet pack and then switch it back after a hour long session with verizon .
Old 03-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Reverse your numbers. Postpaid plans are limited to 15 gig of hotspot data and then it slows to 600 kbs or less. The 22 gig is for Jetpack. Verizon (and AT&T) is very deceptive when they talk about the unlimited stuff...basically it’s a bunch of BS. Current postpaid plans do offer unlimited data but that’s just a legal term to bring in the suckers. Some of the older plans are decent but ALL the new ones slow speeds down at certain usage thresholds. It’s unlimited data at unusable speeds.

What the OP needs is the Verizon PREPAID Jetpack only plan. No phone, text, etc. only data...and it works great. During the seven days I used the 8800 Jetpack during the Atlanta Nascar I used 62 gigabytes of data and it never slowed down...even though they say it “might” be momentarily slowed after 22 gig if the tower is overloaded. Slowest speed I ever saw was 28 mbps.

Most of the Verizon reps are clueless about the unlimited plan and will really try to convince you to get a postpaid plan. Insist on prepaid ($70 a month) plan number 28366. If the rep still doesn’t work with you go to another store. Had a friend try to get it a couple weeks ago and had to go to three VZ stores before finding a knowledgeable rep.

For the OP...get the Jetpack 7730 or 8800. Once activated it’s just another Wi-Fi network limited to 15 devices connected at once. Your smart tv, AppleTV, Rolu, Amazon Fire, etc., will all connect and work great.
I'l try that out . went through it with them a month ago but not through a store through the verizon on line direct. i pay the cost is onlly 10$ more i all ready do auto pay . guess i'll spend another hr with them and see what happens . woulod be nice to get more then 15gb at full verizon speed . once it's throttled back it's like dial up
Old 03-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #15

Quote:
I'l try that out . went through it with them a month ago but not through a store through the verizon on line direct. i pay the cost is onlly 10$ more i all ready do auto pay . guess i'll spend another hr with them and see what happens . woulod be nice to get more then 15gb at full verizon speed . once it's throttled back it's like dial up
It’s best to keep your phone and data lines on separate accounts. The VZ postpaid phone plans suck when looking at data options. Just no usable unlimited stuff. Their prepaid unlimited data plan is the best you’ll find...and I’d bet it will disappear before the end of this year. Get it while you can.

I have the VZ unlimited prepaid plan ($65), the AT&T Mobley unlimited plan ($23) and an AT&T phone plan with six lines and 35 gig data ($160). Each service is on a separate account. With all that coverage it’s almost impossible to go somewhere that doesn’t have high speed data.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #16

JETPACK

This site is awesome,it made me do a lot of research and most of my information came from experience.I went out yesterday and purchased a Verizon mifi8800l.It is the newest WIFI gadget from verizon and it will switch between 3and 4 g as the signal is presented.Verizon offered a true unlimited data on a month to moth use.I questioned the verizon reps and they too were kinda surprised when he found it no limits,at peak demand it may slow down but no data limit.My research lead me to YOU TUBE and there are several reviews and testimonials about the product and the unlimited data.
BOB3288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #17
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I personally find that going to my Verizon store here in town I get the true pic. I have the Jet pack which I did not buy through them as theirs is to expensive. As I do not require a lot of data I did not opt for the unlimited data plan. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:48 PM   #18

before you 'run' to Verizon, or even AT&T, go online to https://netbuddy.co/product/unite-explore/

Netbuddy has a deal for a NeatGear 'jetpack' wifi device, and AT&T UNLIMITED Data, with no caps, all for only $60.00 per month, no contract, and the device might be available online for only $84.99. And, that's $60.00 per month, period... no taxes or additional fees, nothing.
There's no need for any AT&T plan, since the device comes with the SIM card for the service, which is really what you are paying monthly for, but has nothing to do with whether you do, or don't, have a separate AT&T plan for your phones or anything else.

Ours is doing fine, and I'm glad I didn't stick with the more expensive $75 per month Verizon jetpack 'unlimited', or even the AT&T jetpack, which is capped at 20gb.

We even throttled back on our AT&T Unlimited phone plan, and went to a Family Share 9gb plan, saving much more than the cost of the NetBuddy Unlimited wifi device plan, since we all use the NetGear wifi signal now for our 'internet' usage... good all the way around! We've used 350gb so far this month.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #19

Well, I bought a 7730 brand new on EBAY for less than half the price that VZ wants. So i'm going to the store (as much fun as a colonoscopy) and get a seperate account, prepaid and autopay. Plan #28366. I hope I got all that right. Thanks so much for the info. I can always count on this forum

Old 03-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
before you 'run' to Verizon, or even AT&T, go online to https://netbuddy.co/product/unite-explore/

Netbuddy has a deal for a NeatGear 'jetpack' wifi device, and AT&T UNLIMITED Data, with no caps, all for only $60.00 per month, no contract, and the device might be available online for only $84.99. And, that's $60.00 per month, period... no taxes or additional fees, nothing.
There's no need for any AT&T plan, since the device comes with the SIM card for the service, which is really what you are paying monthly for, but has nothing to do with whether you do, or don't, have a separate AT&T plan for your phones or anything else.

Ours is doing fine, and I'm glad I didn't stick with the more expensive $75 per month Verizon jetpack 'unlimited', or even the AT&T jetpack, which is capped at 20gb.

We even throttled back on our AT&T Unlimited phone plan, and went to a Family Share 9gb plan, saving much more than the cost of the NetBuddy Unlimited wifi device plan, since we all use the NetGear wifi signal now for our 'internet' usage... good all the way around! We've used 350gb so far this month.
Only problem is AT&T i would pay double before i used at&t ever again . plus they really don't have the coverage that verizon does . but over all the idea is sound and should work for most people that haven't been burned by AT&T or stay in areas of coverage .