Old 03-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #1

Verizon jetpack

In as much as I canít count on a satellite signal Iím looking for an alternative. I just installed a Samsung smart TV and Iím looking at the Verizon jetpack. So is it awesome or a piece of junk? Most places we go get very good data service with Verizon. TIA.

2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #2

I have had a older Verizon jet Pac since they came out. It works great imo. I have been across the whole USA, I can count on 1 hand how many times I lost a signal and that was at least 6 years ago. I have the unlimited hot spot plan, you will get 4 LTE until you use 22 gigs, they say they could reduce your speed then, but I have never had it happen to me...

Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Got mine a couple of months ago not the newest version as I bought used cheap and it works great. Used all weekend at the Atlanta race track. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 67
Days camped 2019 4
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I have had a older Verizon jet Pac since they came out. It works great imo. I have been across the whole USA, I can count on 1 hand how many times I lost a signal and that was at least 6 years ago. I have the unlimited hot spot plan, you will get 4 LTE until you use 22 gigs, they say they could reduce your speed then, but I have never had it happen to me...
unlimited 22gb hot spot is only for your phone . the jet pack is limited to 15gb . just went through this with verizon . got the beyond unlimited and gave the the # to the jet pack and was very specific as to wanting to increase the gb on the jet pack . after getting first bill it was one my phone the 22gb . called verizon and they flat out said it won't work with the jet pack only only the phone , though about dumping the jet pack and jusdt using phone
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #5

I'm very happy with my Verizon Jet Pack. I've had it three plus years and it has consistently worked well every where I've carried it. Using SpeedTest I've averaged around 15-17Mbs Download and 3-4Mbs Upload. Not blazing fast but more than adequate for email, surfing, and Youtube...
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
unlimited 22gb hot spot is only for your phone . the jet pack is limited to 15gb . just went through this with verizon . got the beyond unlimited and gave the the # to the jet pack and was very specific as to wanting to increase the gb on the jet pack . after getting first bill it was one my phone the 22gb . called verizon and they flat out said it won't work with the jet pack only only the phone , though about dumping the jet pack and jusdt using phone

Last year I had a regular postpaid jetpack plan that throttled after your allotted GB, but I just activated the fully unlimited prepaid jetpack plan last week.

If you go with the prepaid jetpack plan it is unlimited data for $65 per month with autopay, $70 without autopay. There is no data limit on the prepaid plan like the 15gb on the regular postpaid plan. They don't throttle at all if you go over a certain amount on prepaid and it is real unlimited. The only catch is that they say in times of network congestion, there may be "prioritization". Most people here that have the plan have never gotten "prioritized"

I've been testing it at home since last week on my 7730 Jetpack and it's been fast and reliable for streaming video on my Amazon Firestick.

Here's a thread where we were just discussing these options the last week or so:
Hotspot data, cellular data, streaming

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Reverse your numbers. Postpaid plans are limited to 15 gig of hotspot data and then it slows to 600 kbs or less. The 22 gig is for Jetpack. Verizon (and AT&T) is very deceptive when they talk about the unlimited stuff...basically itís a bunch of BS. Current postpaid plans do offer unlimited data but thatís just a legal term to bring in the suckers. Some of the older plans are decent but ALL the new ones slow speeds down at certain usage thresholds. Itís unlimited data at unusable speeds.

What the OP needs is the Verizon PREPAID Jetpack only plan. No phone, text, etc. only data...and it works great. During the seven days I used the 8800 Jetpack during the Atlanta Nascar I used 62 gigabytes of data and it never slowed down...even though they say it ďmightĒ be momentarily slowed after 22 gig if the tower is overloaded. Slowest speed I ever saw was 28 mbps.

Most of the Verizon reps are clueless about the unlimited plan and will really try to convince you to get a postpaid plan. Insist on prepaid ($70 a month) plan number 28366. If the rep still doesnít work with you go to another store. Had a friend try to get it a couple weeks ago and had to go to three VZ stores before finding a knowledgeable rep.

For the OP...get the Jetpack 7730 or 8800. Once activated itís just another Wi-Fi network limited to 15 devices connected at once. Your smart tv, AppleTV, Rolu, Amazon Fire, etc., will all connect and work great.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:00 PM   #8

Thanks guyís a lot of great information. Since itís prepaid can you just pay as you go or is it monthly.
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #9

Great info looking for a solution for this myself.

Bob
HappyTrav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
Thanks guyís a lot of great information. Since itís prepaid can you just pay as you go or is it monthly.
You pay by the month but since there is no contract you can cancel and renew at Will. Be careful...VZ is notorious for canceling the really good plans and unless you have it at the time itís cancelled you canít get it back. There are thousands of unhappy folks who cancelled or didnít renew the original unlimited postpaid plans. Those plans went away several years ago but active customers when it went away still have it.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote