Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #1

VERY HOT AIR in space under sink

I just purchased a new 2018 Grey Wolf 26DBH. On our first night in it I used the propane furnace to keep us warm on these cold Georgia winter nights (). Everything seemed to work fine... I set the thermostat and the furnace came on and off throughout the night to keep a pretty steady temp inside. However, I noticed that in the space under the kitchen sink (accessible by a cabinet door under the sink and also via two large pull-out drawers in the same space) contained VERY hot air. I understand that the furnace is located in that general area and there is a partition under the sink blocking the furnace from being accessed directly from the cabinet door. However, it seemed kind of inefficient that all that hot air is trapped inside there. My concern is that maybe a duct connect got disconnected or there's a leak in one of the ducts. Or maybe it's completely normal that the air around the furnace (trapped by the enclosure under the sink) gets that hot? I kept the cabinet door open all night to let the hot air under there escape and aid in keeping the living space warm. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!
robingeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #2

I would pull out the partition under there and check the furnace to see if any thing is loose on there.I had the same problem and one of the clamps wasn't tight and was letting hot air to escape.It still gets warm under there,but not nearly as hot. If there is a problem,you should also see a increase in the air flow in the other registers.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:50 PM   #3

my 2018 Catalina does the same thing. There is actually a duct that comes off the heater and puts air there intentionally. Ive always assumed that it was to do everything possible to stop the plumbing from freezing.

my water pump, water heater, and most of my water pipes and valves are under there. If it wasn't for that heat duct dumping air it would be an unventilated area with a lot of plumbing against an exterior wall ive got 5 other heat vents in the trailer for keeping me warm, I need to check but I think there may be a duct that goes to the water inlet / outside shower area under one of my cabinets.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #4

Great info and ideas, thanks so much. I will definitely see if I can take out the partition and have a look back there to check for any obvious issues like a disconnected hose, etc.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #5

The heat may also be coming from the water heater. I use electric heaters rather than the furnace and the sink cabinet still gets warmer than the rest of the trailer.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytbm View Post
The heat may also be coming from the water heater. I use electric heaters rather than the furnace and the sink cabinet still gets warmer than the rest of the trailer.
Thanks for the tip. My water heater is in the back corner near the bathroom, so I'm thinking it might not be that, but I'll check it out.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #7

My issue was they forgot to put the felt gasket between the furnace and the floor duct. Gasket installed; problem solved.
Cardinal5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal5er View Post
My issue was they forgot to put the felt gasket between the furnace and the floor duct. Gasket installed; problem solved.
Ok, thanks, I will definitely check that as soon as I can get in there this weekend.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #9

I had the very same problem with my new Leprechaun 240FS. Investigated and found that the 3 in air duct from the furnace to the entry stairs wasn't connected at the heater outlet. The duct and the clamp were both there, someone just forgot to tighten it. I reconnected it, tightened the clamp and problem was solved. Luckily, this connection was behind a set of drawers so access was very simple. Hope yours is easy to get to.
Jim-LP240FS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-LP240FS View Post
I had the very same problem with my new Leprechaun 240FS. Investigated and found that the 3 in air duct from the furnace to the entry stairs wasn't connected at the heater outlet. The duct and the clamp were both there, someone just forgot to tighten it. I reconnected it, tightened the clamp and problem was solved. Luckily, this connection was behind a set of drawers so access was very simple. Hope yours is easy to get to.
Thanks so much for that info, I'm hoping it's a similarly easy-to-fix problem. I'll find out this weekend!
Old 02-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180210_093902730.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	162094

Simple fix... Removed the 6 screws to take off the plastic Return Air grill and found that the front cover of the furnace was practically wide open. A screw was missing from one side. This is why the area under the sink was so hot and why so little hear was coming out of the two ducted outlets inside the camper. Replaced the missing screw to close up the furnace and everything is working the way it should. [emoji106]
Old 02-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #12

Thanks for the follow-up and glad it was a simple fix
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sink