Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #1

Warm fridge

We are having a real tuff time keeping our fridge cool. It's not that warm out, so I don't believe that could be the problem. But it won't get cooler then 39 and goes to as warm as 52. We have it set at its lowest setting. We changed to propane because we usually get our fridge to get cooler with propane. It brand new. My husband walked outside this morning and felt the slide out that the fridge is in and it was so hot he felt like it was going to burn his hand. Could use some advice!! Yeah I know I could always bring it in but you all know how that goes, four weeks later then you get it back.
Famfun1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This is what I did.
Added external fans to keep air circulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130617_141402.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	33447  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Added inside circulation fan.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130617_141433.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	33448

Name:	ForumRunner_20130617_141453.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	33449
Old 06-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also make sure your thermister probe is at the very top of slider.

If this is the style you have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130617_142214.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	33450  
Old 06-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #5

Ours need to mate and make a normal one.

I can't get mine above 36 no matter what I do. It started at 23F!!!!

I've moved it 8 fins to the left (per assistance here) and keep sliding it up and down. It'll make it to 36, but if you leave it alone, it goes to 34. Beer will be happy, lettuce won't.

And I see now what is different in "entry level travel trailers". The book has about 8 refrigerator models (all same manual, which is stupid) listed, and most have push button "warmer/colder" buttons. Mine says "Preset at the factory".

I assume the factory was in Ecuador.

P.S.
If it is 'not that warm out', we are not in the same area by about a million miles.

These slide thingies suck. That is my experienced (one week) opinion.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famfun1999 View Post
We are having a real tuff time keeping our fridge cool. It's not that warm out, so I don't believe that could be the problem. But it won't get cooler then 39 and goes to as warm as 52. We have it set at its lowest setting. We changed to propane because we usually get our fridge to get cooler with propane. It brand new. My husband walked outside this morning and felt the slide out that the fridge is in and it was so hot he felt like it was going to burn his hand. Could use some advice!! Yeah I know I could always bring it in but you all know how that goes, four weeks later then you get it back.
Like Turbs its as though you have plenty of heat input (elec vs propane) but you aren't getting enough cooling on the back side of the cycle. If you post the model here, someone will tell you if you should have a built in cooling fan(s). If you do and they aren't running in auto, you'll never cool the box down.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
The fans were driving us nuts at night so I took the top vent cover right off and they didnt go on that night
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjb

The fans were driving us nuts at night so I took the top vent cover right off and they didnt go on that night
That will work with more flow and less pressure drop, problem is you'll invite bats, birds, wasps etc. You need to fix/modify your veny fans. Besides if it rains in there a few times.......oh well$$$.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Replace fans with high quality ball bearing replacements.

Best buy is a good source.
I've got two 60 mm fans and on the interior you can't hear them.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Replace fans with high quality ball bearing replacements.

Best buy is a good source.
I've got two 60 mm fans and on the interior you can't hear them.
I would like to replace them I'm just not sure what to replace them with. Would any 12v fan work . I see you say 60mm, is that just how wide they are. What about amps and rpm. I took a picture of mine the other day to try and match it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130618_170550.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	33523  
Old 06-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjb View Post

I would like to replace them I'm just not sure what to replace them with. Would any 12v fan work . I see you say 60mm, is that just how wide they are. What about amps and rpm. I took a picture of mine the other day to try and match it
To be honest the way that one is mounted I'm not sure it does anything.
Mine mounted in the filler panel draws air from one area an moves it to another.

Yours may be moving around air but not really directing it up the exhaust stack.

Imagine a hot room with a fan in the midle of the room blowing.... doesn't really move the heat out.

Now stick the fan in the window...
Get my point?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #12

Fridge problems and simple solution

The commonly referred to "slide thingies" suck! I had a problem with the old Dometic Fridge freezing everything...including the beer, the pop didn't like it and the wife didn't like the clean up (I had to thaw the beer so I couldn't help).

Anyway, I found a product called "Snip the Tip" at snipthetip.com I am not advertising but for about 30 bucks you get a real thermostat the size of your thumbnail. It uses the wires going into the slide thingy. Turn off the power and simply snip of the tip, separate the 2 tiny and I mean tiny wires and connect to the new thermostat. Restore the power and set the temperature you want. Now your fridge is thermostat controlled! Takes about 5-7 min for the whole process and works!

Just bought a new trailer and am already ordering my snip the tip kit!
Happy Camping ya'll!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #13

Since your fridge is within a slide, make sure your exterior bottom and top vents are clean and free of dust so that you have good air circulation. Do you have fans in the back of the fridge? If yes, are these working properly.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
To be honest the way that one is mounted I'm not sure it does anything.
Mine mounted in the filler panel draws air from one area an moves it to another.

Yours may be moving around air but not really directing it up the exhaust stack.

Imagine a hot room with a fan in the midle of the room blowing.... doesn't really move the heat out.

Now stick the fan in the window...
Get my point?
I agree with what you are describing but to put a partition in Wouldn't that have to rely on the fans even more
Old 06-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjb View Post
I agree with what you are describing but to put a partition in Wouldn't that have to rely on the fans even more
Mine had the partition in before I added fans.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjb
Look in the lower access plate with a mirror. You'll see the horizontal partition Turbs speaks to.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The 60 mm is the cross width of fan.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #18

Well, we finally found out what was causing the fridge to be warm. They never vented our fridge. Dealer that fixed it said we were very lucky our camper didn't start on fire. We now have a real cold fridge with no problems!! Was 90 degrees outside and we had a 33 degree fridge!! Nice!!
Famfun1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Well, we finally found out what was causing the fridge to be warm. They never vented our fridge. Dealer that fixed it said we were very lucky our camper didn't start on fire. We now have a real cold fridge with no problems!! Was 90 degrees outside and we had a 33 degree fridge!! Nice!!
Pictures of what they did?