Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #1

Washer/Dryer & TV Question

I Want to get a washer dryer combo. I don't understand how it works, and I need some information of what do i need. I have a 2016 SLR Thunderbolt and I have hook up in garage. So its my understanding I have to get the Combo or all in one unit. So can someone give me some feed back on do and don'ts.

#2?
I have Direct TV and I see those bubble balls for satilite are those any good or am i wasting my money? Any help here would be good.

Thanks Camping in Winterville NC
Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #2

First ? There are several combo washer brands. Splendid is probsbly the olders.
There are two styles, ventless and vented. Ventless basically boil clothes dry and do not work very well. Vented is exactly like your machines at home. Load clothes, add soap, then dial to selected cycle, set dryer time and press start. About 2-1/2 houes later take clean dry clothes out. Two downsides. First, small loads, second long cycle time. Vented machines will require you to drill about a 3 inch hole in the side of your RV to run the vent.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #3

I'm putting a stacked unit in my camper. It's taking a little longer than what I thought. Cutting the hole is the problem and no room is the other problem but I'll get it worked outClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471217656.057176.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	117270Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471217679.569299.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	117271

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #4

As you can see its tight in this closet, I got the washer in and I plan to wash some towels to make sure nothing leaks. No space on water side but I made it workClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471284035.200268.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	117364

Old 08-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

The portable satellite antennas work very well if you have a clear view of the sky, a good compass and an app for locating satellites. I have heard that Direct TV is not very helpful if you have problems. (To many people calling help centers)
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #6

You have Direct tv. What are using for a dish now?
I have direct tv and use the original 18" round dish on a stake. I have a good compass and dish pointer pro app on my android phone to get me close. With the direct tv setup signal strength audible meters it is usually short work to do set up by myself. I use a SD receiver and a 32" Furrion TV and it works great.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
I use a SD receiver and a 32" Furrion TV and it works great.
Only for a short time longer. Direct is discontinuing SD fairly soon.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:47 PM   #8

I have a portable Direct tv satellite dish and I can find a signal pretty quick but sometimes the wind is blowing to hard. I got the washer/dryer installed but I had to take one piece of molding out. I tried to install the Trav'ler but it was a little to much for me, I'm hiring someone to install thatClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471394790.788163.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	117488

Tomorrow I have to put the door back on

Old 08-16-2016, 10:19 PM   #9

We have a vented Splendide in our MH and I absolutely love it. You will need to use their detergent (I have heard of some that use the HE detergent you purchase in the grocery stores, but I don't) - seems a bit pricey at first but you only use one small scoop per load. You CANNOT use dryer sheets in your Splendide - liquid fabric softener(and a good brand) is what you need. Yes, it does take a long time to dry the clothes but then, you are running it on 110. Ours is vented - understand the non-vented ones put the moisture (from drying your clothes) back in to your unit - & you certainly don't want that. The Splendide will spin your clothes so fast that it will very slightly vibrate our 40' MH even with the jacks down. But, it certainly is nice not to have to take all those clothes with you on camping trips. It's nice if you're "trapped inside" when it rains, you can throw a load of clothes in while you're watching TV. It's nice that you don't come home with dirty laundry - it's all been done the last night you're on the road. And best of all, you don't have to find a laundromat and lots of quarters - you can do your laundry in your Jammie's if you want to. Can you tell I love my Splendide?

As far as your second question - sorry - even tho we have an in motion system, I really can't give yu the pros and cons of it. I do know, though, it appears more & more campgrounds are providing cable so you really don't need your satellite. I can't tell you when the last time was we had ours on.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopie1 View Post
We have a vented Splendide in our MH and I absolutely love it. You will need to use their detergent (I have heard of some that use the HE detergent you purchase in the grocery stores, but I don't) - seems a bit pricey at first but you only use one small scoop per load. You CANNOT use dryer sheets in your Splendide - liquid fabric softener(and a good brand) is what you need. Yes, it does take a long time to dry the clothes but then, you are running it on 110. Ours is vented - understand the non-vented ones put the moisture (from drying your clothes) back in to your unit - & you certainly don't want that. The Splendide will spin your clothes so fast that it will very slightly vibrate our 40' MH even with the jacks down. But, it certainly is nice not to have to take all those clothes with you on camping trips. It's nice if you're "trapped inside" when it rains, you can throw a load of clothes in while you're watching TV. It's nice that you don't come home with dirty laundry - it's all been done the last night you're on the road. And best of all, you don't have to find a laundromat and lots of quarters - you can do your laundry in your Jammie's if you want to. Can you tell I love my Splendide?

As far as your second question - sorry - even tho we have an in motion system, I really can't give yu the pros and cons of it. I do know, though, it appears more & more campgrounds are providing cable so you really don't need your satellite. I can't tell you when the last time was we had ours on.

What do you have the combo or the stacked unit. DW uses dryer sheets. We hardly ever hook up to cable, we use our satellite dish and now since I installed the Trav'ler Direct satellite DW won't watch cable again

Old 08-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
What do you have the combo or the stacked unit. DW uses dryer sheets. We hardly ever hook up to cable, we use our satellite dish and now since I installed the Trav'ler Direct satellite DW won't watch cable again

You will if you come camp in Arkansas with me! LOL Trees abound....... and you have to move your dish around to find a 'hole'........

Told one of the Satellite vendors at the Rally here yesterday that "there's no reason why someone can't invent an automatic HD PORTABLE dish for Direct"........... but no one does it.

I'm so tempted to get filthy rich by doing a start up company for one!

Nah, never mind. Too lazy. LOL

P.S.
I've never seen a campground that we use in Arkansas that has cable TV....... and yes, Arkansas is truly only about 9 minutes from New York.............. by phone!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:24 AM   #12

We have the Splendide combo, non vented. I believe if you look in the owners manual, it specifically states not to use dryer sheets. Only reason I can think of would possibly be an extremely slight chance of one of them getting next to the drying element & causing a fire (heaven forbid)? As for me, I'll continue to use the liquid softener.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #13

This is with the closet door back on, thanks to DW supervision of me

Old 08-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #14

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471449358.157365.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	117566

Old 08-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #15

Washer/Dryer

Sara and I looked at all of the W/D combos and decided to go with Haier apartment sized appliances. We had a closet for them and mounted the dryer to the wall with the vent right behind the dryer. Good thing is that we can wash and dry at the same time as opposed to a small load combo machine or a Kenmore over/under machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Haier-HLP21N-.../dp/B002UYSHMM

https://www.amazon.com/Haier-HPL141E...ds=haier+dryer

The cost for both was much less than any of the other combos or stacked. I installed the dryer myself. I use a waser splitter to put the hot water and cold water to the washer. You just have to remember to turn off the hot water to the washer when you want hot water in the shower or the kitchen sink. If you leave the hot water on it will not get to the sink/shower.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #16

I looked at apartment size washer/dryer stacked units and the ones I looked at were to deep for my closest.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #17

Washer Dryer

The way the garage was built they have the TV just above the soon to be washer dryer. I can't put the double decker. I either got to go with the ventless or vent system. I'm preferring the vent. I hear less dry time vs the ventless.

Tim Coltrain
Winterville, NC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	457.3 KB
ID:	117712  
Old 08-20-2016, 05:41 AM   #18

Purchase

Where did you guys buy your washer dryer set up or combo? Do you have to buy only from Campers World or can you buy from lowes or bestbuy? I want to make sure.

tim
Old 08-20-2016, 06:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Only for a short time longer. Direct is discontinuing SD fairly soon.
That rumor has been round for years.

That being said, the King Quest does Directv and can changeover to Dish with just an add on module. Auto dishes can't do HD on Directv because of the multiple birds it has to see.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Coltrain View Post
Where did you guys buy your washer dryer set up or combo? Do you have to buy only from Campers World or can you buy from lowes or bestbuy? I want to make sure.

tim

I brought my washer/dryer from rv parts country.com. Tweety's is a good place. Tweety's was two dollars more than rvpartscountry and if I was to order another one it would be from tweety's. I ordered a Trav'ler from Tweety's and the shipping was great