Old 04-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #31
Glad I don't have the electric switch on my Suburban water heater.

Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #32
Canadian Member
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
IMO, this might be the most important thought in this entire thread. All this depends on how one uses his/her water heater.

I never boondock; I always camp at sites with electricity and water; I almost never use propane to heat water; I use the electricity paid for by my site fee. My WH switch for the electric side is off all the time I am not at a site. When I arrive and hook up my city water, I'm standing next to my WH so I reach over and turn on the electrical system switch. I know where it is because it has been in the same place in all 4 of my trailers.
When I pack up to leave and I'm ready to disconnect city water, I'm standing next to the WH so I turn off the electrical switch. Even though I connect the trailer to 50a service when I get home, I don't need hot water there so I don't turn the switch back on until I hook up city water on my next trip. I winterize and de-winterize at home and always with the WH off so I have no prospect of burning out my electrical element by turning it on with no water in the tank. I have never had the need/want to turn on/off my WH's electric element from inside my trailer... but as Davidg says "that's just me."
Do you re-install that little cotter pin in the switch every time you turn the switch off? On my Suburban 6 gal. its a pain to get it back in.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8293SS, 12K Equal-i-zer
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73
Fondly remembered:
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #33
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
NO......If one needs a reminder the switch is on, Just leave the little latch tab standing straight out, not folded down
Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #34
Site Team
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Do you re-install that little cotter pin in the switch every time you turn the switch off? On my Suburban 6 gal. its a pain to get it back in.

No, I don't even have one of those cotter keys. No one operates my switch but me and I don't really need it.
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:53 PM   #35
Its funny how a question about adding a simple switch has sparked quite the debate about breakers and etc. I enjoy reading theses kinds of threads where there is a healthy debate about a particular topic. I like hearing different perspectives, and although I may or may not always agree, I at least almost aways learn something. Most of the time there isn't really a right or wrong opinion as everyone's situation and or experience is different. Thanks for all of the posts on this topic, it's been a good read.

2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0
Ginger & Sammie (our 4 legged kids)
US Navy veteran
Movike is online now   Reply With Quote

heater, water, water heater