Old 04-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #1

Water heater, Suburban sw6de

Question on general abilities of this unit. We are on Maiden journey, and shower time seams very short. Thinking I will upgrade shower head. But generally speaking would it be typical for this unit to only provide one 5 minute shower. Moving forward I'll use shut off valve on head until ready to rinse.
Also to use electric element do I simply turn toggle switch at water heater to on and turn toggle switch at wall control panel to off ( that one when on controls gas burn )
Just curious what others do with regard to hot supply useage. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1460808784.576592.jpg
Views:	3300
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	105073Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1460808822.447238.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	105074

Old 04-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #2

Just from experience: you will get faster recovery by using both electric and gas for the water heater. Military showers are a must in an RV. If my DW can learn to take these then anyone can learn to take one! If you want unlimited hot water then that means a trip to the shower house. That is a no go for DW, not a problem for me. So military it is in the RV!

We also allow adequate recovery time between showers. We just camped with three adults in our camper and allowed 15 - 30 minutes between them. Probably longer than necessary. But we weren't in a hurry because it was get away time, not hurry up time.

I'm getting ready to install an Oxygenics shower head in my unit. It gets good reviews on the forums. This seems like a good investment to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #3

Military showers are not a must in an Rv. When using both gas and electric, my wife and I can take back to back showers each lasting 10 minutes or more. I've never run out of hot water.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5646 View Post
Question on general abilities of this unit. We are on Maiden journey, and shower time seams very short. Thinking I will upgrade shower head. But generally speaking would it be typical for this unit to only provide one 5 minute shower. Moving forward I'll use shut off valve on head until ready to rinse.
Also to use electric element do I simply turn toggle switch at water heater to on and turn toggle switch at wall control panel to off ( that one when on controls gas burn )
Just curious what others do with regard to hot supply useage. Attachment 105073Attachment 105074
Howdy John, basically it's yes, to everything you have stated. The length of hot water depends on several factors, including the water heater tank size, temp of incoming water, etc. You may need to turn off the shower at the wand a few times. The version of the navy shower is wet yourself down, turn water off at wand and soap up, turn water back on and rinse off.

You need to remember that all the water that comes out of the shower head is also going into the grey water tank and is filling it up too. This can be a concern when you are at campgrounds without sewer hookups. When it fills up, you have to either take your RV to the dump station or carry a water tote and use it to take to the dump station.

This FAQ may help explain it all to you.

Suburban's electric switch and much more

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #5

Again all very good info. Just wanted to make shure I didn't have a heater working below its means. I'll be more careful of water usage and that's not a problem.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #6

BTW. I just ran straight hot water into sink. I got 4 1/2 gallon and it took 14 minutes to recover on gas with electric switched on also. Sounds reasonable ( to me) for. 6 gallon tank.... If anyone thinks otherwise please advise.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #7

We usually wait 20 minutes between showers so I would say yours is working normally.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #8

The two of us take back to back "RV" showers and don't run out of hot water without using both gas and electric heat. Unless, of course, the one with hair chooses to wash it. Then I wait a while.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #9

We installed an Oxygenics shower head, best decision so far.

Planning to do same at home to save hot water.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
I'm getting ready to install an Oxygenics shower head in my unit. It gets good reviews on the forums. This seems like a good investment to me.
I just installed an Oxygenics shower head. It's worth every penny. You have more pressure and it stretches the water. The shutoff is handy also.

Tags
heater, suburban, water, water heater