Old 01-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw0528 View Post
Hello,

This is likely the first of many posts from me as I learn my way around the rig we just bought....a used 2013 Forest River Flagstaff 8528 fifth wheel.
Using a checklist I found here I did a good inspection (I hope).
Everything worked as expected except the water heater....it heated with propane but not with AC power. The previous owner said he "thought" that it was not AC capable but there is a switch behind the outside cover and I turned it to the on position and the gas off but no luck. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting would be appreciated....or is it possible that it does not have AC option?

Thanks in advance for any input!

wdw0528
We have that same year and model. It DOES have both propane AND electric capability for the water heater. There are two switches, one behind the outside water heater door and it seems you have found that one. The second switch is the 15A circuit breaker in the electrical panel just to the right as you enter the trailer. Reset the breaker by moving the handle OFF, then back ON. If you still aren't heating water on electric, then indeed you may have a damaged electrical element as another poster described. The water heater MUST be filled with water prior to turning on the electrical switches.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #12

Problem solved guys.....thanks much for all the input. I checked circuits, made sure of water and tried again and its working nicely. Not sure if I corrected an electrical input problem or if I just hadn't alloed enough time yesterday to get good results.

B&W Companion Slider
wdw0528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:46 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
Water heater on 110

Based on what you have said, the previous owner probably drained his Hot water tank and left the 110 switch on before he filled it again (winterized). That would burn out the 110 element. Relatiely inexpensive to replace but you may need a special tool to remove the element (unusuall socket size) But that too is available from most RV dealers.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillontheroad View Post
Based on what you have said, the previous owner probably drained his Hot water tank and left the 110 switch on before he filled it again (winterized). That would burn out the 110 element. Relatiely inexpensive to replace but you may need a special tool to remove the element (unusuall socket size) But that too is available from most RV dealers.
Read post #12 (just above yours)... problem solved.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw0528 View Post
Problem solved guys.....thanks much for all the input. I checked circuits, made sure of water and tried again and its working nicely. Not sure if I corrected an electrical input problem or if I just hadn't alloed enough time yesterday to get good results.
Excellent.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:55 PM   #16

Water Heater won't work on 110

I have a 2011 Wildwood that I bought used. Took it in to Camping World to have a HotRodd installed for electric. Service called me back and told me it only needed the electric run to a dedicated outlet. Factory never finished the installation! They hooked it up at a very nominal cost and I saved a pretty penny. Disappointed though in the manufacturer quality control. By the way, the breaker was in the box and marked.

Tags
heater, water, water heater