Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #1

Weboost 4G-M cellular booster install in Rockwood 2304KS

Hi folks. Wanted to show my install of the Weboost 4G-M into my 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2304KS. Relied on other posts and Youtube for ideas and then made my own plan.

Went with the 4G-M model because I don't need the massive high upload speed. Also trying the small magnetic antenna and works great so far in South Texas. Installed the antenna by bedding down a stainless note plate (magnetic able stainless) that I painted with Rustoleum (extra corrosion protection), bedded with Dicor onto the roof. Penetrated the roof for the cable near the radio antenna with a cable plate and a ton of Dicor, entering the cabinet next to the audio system. Added a 12v power outlet for power (tapped off the audio power source) and mounted the equipment as shown in the cabinet. Ran the internal antenna (to connect with our cellular devices) at the other end of the cabinet over the dinnette with velcro and enough extra cable to stretch to the table if needed.. Everything works well.

After the initial install, I decided I wanted to be able to know when this is on, and able to turn it off when not in use. So I bought a switch that fit an unused spot on the control panel and run wires thru the wiring raceway under the dinette cabinet bottom from the Weboost to the control panel. Now I know when the Weboost is on at a glance.

Weboost just came out with a new RV version and I may look at replacing the internal antenna since the new one is supposed to have more range. But in the meantime, Youtube, Netfliz, and Amazon movies work great (unlimited cell data plan).

BTW, the SeeLevel tank sensors on the panel are another install. Another post coming soon on that.

Here are the photos of the Weboost install. Hope this helps others.
Cheers!

https://goo.gl/photos/yEaLN4JaPnbyG4cD7

https://goo.gl/photos/Jayas92dMzhq1qYM8

https://goo.gl/photos/zNhiyDRnMkWKW8vu8

https://goo.gl/photos/JDE8E1RCmsFLKiC77

https://goo.gl/photos/9e85de8esXWenzwp8
bhauskne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:10 AM   #2

None of your links to pics work. Better check them.

404. That’s an error.
The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:30 AM   #3

Sorry for the broken links before. Tried to get that stupid Google Photos to use smaller size pictures, but they failed. Another broken tech promise...

Anyway the links shown now in the original post should work.

I'll have to find another way to make the pictures smaller in other posts without having to convert and upload photos to other sharing sites...
Old 05-13-2017, 12:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurek View Post
None of your links to pics work. Better check them.

404. That’s an error.
The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.
Yeah, I was trying to get Google Photos to use smaller sizes, but failed.

New links added to the OP. Sorry for the error.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhauskne View Post
Sorry for the broken links before. Tried to get that stupid Google Photos to use smaller size pictures, but they failed. Another broken tech promise...

Anyway the links shown now in the original post should work.

I'll habe to find another way to make the pictures smaller in other posts without having to convert and upload photos to other sharing sites...

Looks like a nice install. We have that same unit and I find it really doesn't do much for my data speeds on LTE. I have a directional antenna for my MiFi unit that seems to work a lot better. Granted the directional antenna is on a mast about 6 feet above the roof of the trailer but I still expected more from the WeBoost. What kind of differences do you see in bandwidth, with and without the WeBoost?

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
Looks like a nice install. We have that same unit and I find it really doesn't do much for my data speeds on LTE. I have a directional antenna for my MiFi unit that seems to work a lot better. Granted the directional antenna is on a mast about 6 feet above the roof of the trailer but I still expected more from the WeBoost. What kind of differences do you see in bandwidth, with and without the WeBoost?
I think it depends on the location amd what signal you start with. In my "RV hangar" an enclosed storage unit, I checked the signal with and without using an app called Network Cell Info Lite (free). I have AT&T service. Inside the trailer, with the hangar sliding door open, it starts about 108 db and with the Weboost on, jumps to 98 db. I don't see the video buffering and delays. At the parks so far, haven't had real bad signals yet, but I consistently see a better signal. Also affected by how close I am to the internal antenna. Saw a video that this distance is highly sensitive to getting results. Didn't do a lot of testing, just seeing that it woeks so far for me.

Didn't go the wifi booster route because I hear even with boosting you are limited by the host bandwidth and with many campers on line, streaming may not be possible.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:46 AM   #7

WeBoost

We just ordered (last night) the 4G-X RV model. DW and I work remotely so pretty excited about this model. I have a Class C and will be installing/testing next week. I'll share our installation trials and results then.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #8

Quote:
I think it depends on the location amd what signal you start with. In my "RV hangar" an enclosed storage unit, I checked the signal with and without using an app called Network Cell Info Lite (free). I have AT&T service. Inside the trailer, with the hangar sliding door open, it starts about 108 db and with the Weboost on, jumps to 98 db. I don't see the video buffering and delays. At the parks so far, haven't had real bad signals yet, but I consistently see a better signal. Also affected by how close I am to the internal antenna. Saw a video that this distance is highly sensitive to getting results. Didn't do a lot of testing, just seeing that it woeks so far for me.

Didn't go the wifi booster route because I hear even with boosting you are limited by the host bandwidth and with many campers on line, streaming may not be possible.

Yes, when the WeBoost is used there is a difference in signal strength but as far as data bandwidth the increase doesn't seem like much. There are tons of apps/programs out there that measure that. It would be interesting to know what kind of real world increases people are seeing, for us not much. If you wanted to measure it, google "internet bandwidth" and when you run them, do it a few times in a row and get an average.

When I mentioned a directional antenna, it is for my Verizon MiFi Hotspot device. Not for campground WiFi, which is mostly useless except for browsing, especially in the evenings. When I use the directional antenna with my Verizon MiFi, I see real world differences, usually double the bandwidth, where I saw negligible with the WeBoost

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes, when the WeBoost is used there is a difference in signal strength but as far as data bandwidth the increase doesn't seem like much. There are tons of apps/programs out there that measure that. It would be interesting to know what kind of real world increases people are seeing, for us not much. If you wanted to measure it, google "internet bandwidth" and when you run them, do it a few times in a row and get an average.

When I mentioned a directional antenna, it is for my Verizon MiFi Hotspot device. Not for campground WiFi, which is mostly useless except for browsing, especially in the evenings. When I use the directional antenna with my Verizon MiFi, I see real world differences, usually double the bandwidth, where I saw negligible with the WeBoost
Ah, interesting, a directional antenna for your hotspot. Thanks for the idea of checking bandwidth. I'll give that a try next weekend when we take the Rockwood out again.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #10

gectesme: Can you provide us information on the nature, make, model# of your directional antenna? Will it only work with a MiFi Hotspot device, or can it aid the signal of a phone Hotspot, e.g. iPhone?
Richard W Eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W Eason View Post
gectesme: Can you provide us information on the nature, make, model# of your directional antenna? Will it only work with a MiFi Hotspot device, or can it aid the signal of a phone Hotspot, e.g. iPhone?
It's an external Cell Antenna that connects by wire to the device. It is for a MiFi unit that has an external antenna connection. If the cell phone has an external antenna port, it could be used on it also but not too many cell phones have that anymore. The kit I have is put together to connect to a Verizon 6620l MiFi.

Here is a link to the one I bought and use:
https://www.amazon.com/Novatel-Wirel.../dp/B00P7Z9338
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	138005   Click image for larger version

Name:	antennaPort.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	138008  

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #12

We also use the WeBoost. We can get cell and Internet in places where no one else can get it. I made my outside antenna mast out of PVC pipes and fasten it to the rear ladder. I can then rotate the directional antenna towards the nearest cell tower. Works like a charm.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
We also use the WeBoost. We can get cell and Internet in places where no one else can get it. I made my outside antenna mast out of PVC pipes and fasten it to the rear ladder. I can then rotate the directional antenna towards the nearest cell tower. Works like a charm.
Sounds like a great mod, Bob. That helps the usefulness of the directional antenna. Wonder how the gain compares to the new RV style omnidirectional antenna?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Sounds like a great mod, Bob. That helps the usefulness of the directional antenna. Wonder how the gain compares to the new RV style omnidirectional antenna?
That's a good question. If it works well I'd rather have an omni than a directional antenna. I think I'll contact WeBoost and ask that question and see if an omni would work with our system and what it would cost for the antenna. I'll get one if the price is reasonable.

Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
Old 05-26-2017, 06:02 AM   #15

WeBoost 4G-X RV System Installed

We pulled the trigger and purchased the 4G-X RV kit, with the Omni directional antennae. Like others, I made a PVC pipe antennae that I can mount anywhere on our Class C. We purchased TechnoRV's suction cup mounts to attach to my antennae mast, see pic below. I made the antennae out of 2 PVC pipes that allows me to extend the mast up to 9' if needed.

We both work remotely and our goal is to be near full-timers eventually and this was a big test for us. The signal gain realized was beyond our expectations and so far, seems to be a great solution. Being overly OCD we documented everything, including before and after signal strengths and upload/download speeds. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to provide more info on how we installed and our results. Overall we are extremely pleased with the results so far and have a couple of trips coming up where connectivity was iffy. We'll be documenting results for those, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	139083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	139086  
Old 05-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #16

I agree

I totally agree with your assessment of the WeBoost. IF you take the time to set it up properly it works wonders. I believe most folks who write that they aren't satisfied with it simply didn't set it up right. Our experience is like yours. I can be in the middle of nowhere and pull in a cell signal or Internet when no one else even has a signal. In a few days we'll be camping at Salt Springs in the Ocala National Forest. The rangers warn you that there is no cell service there. Well...I can prove them wrong. It's a great product.

Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
Old 05-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #17

For the people who are getting great results. If you don't mind, I have some questions:

1. What service, mine is Verizon. AT&T is on a different freq and I wonder if that makes a difference.
2. What bandwidth throughput differences are you seeing? On mine it is not enough of an improvement for me to be happy with the cost.
3. Are you using for the phone only or are you using it with a MiFi unit. And if a MiFi unit which model.

On the phone side I have no issues, I have been able to get a better phone signal just not seeing a big difference on the LTE data side.

I am one who is not impressed and in side by side tests my directional Antenna connected to my MiFi doubles the WeBoost. I guess I could try connecting my Directional to the WeBoost and see if that makes a difference, I will have to see if I have the right connectors.
Thanks in advance.

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #18

Quote:
For the people who are getting great results. If you don't mind, I have some questions:

1. What service, mine is Verizon. AT&T is on a different freq and I wonder if that makes a difference.
2. What bandwidth throughput differences are you seeing? On mine it is not enough of an improvement for me to be happy with the cost.
3. Are you using for the phone only or are you using it with a MiFi unit. And if a MiFi unit which model.

On the phone side I have no issues, I have been able to get a better phone signal just not seeing a big difference on the LTE data side.

I am one who is not impressed and in side by side tests my directional Antenna connected to my MiFi doubles the WeBoost. I guess I could try connecting my Directional to the WeBoost and see if that makes a difference, I will have to see if I have the right connectors.
Thanks in advance.
I'll be happy to help. We have the outside directional pole antenna that looks like a square box. Make sure you are using the proper Ohm cable that the antenna calls for. My cell phone is Verizon and my wife's is MetroPCS (T-Mobile). We deliberately keep it that way because one of us is bound to get some kind of a signal in a given area.

Make sure you don't have any red or yellow lights. Any lights other than green mean trouble. If you can't seem to resolve red or yellow light issues a call to WeBoost technical support is recommended. The higher the antenna the better. I use PVC pipes for the antenna. I cut several 10 foot sections down to 7 and 1/2 feet long so I can store them on the back of the trailer in the hollow bumper where some folks store the sewer hose. I bought a larger storage solution for our black water hose for the back of the trailer.

I also use a free Android program called "Network Cell Info Lite." That program shows you where the cell towers are around your location so you to know where to point your antenna. You sometimes have to experiment with the pointing before you can get the best signal.

IF the signal is very weak I place my phone very close to the indoor antenna, set up a hot spot and turn on my TP-Link Range Extender. That little device amplifies the hot spot and transmits the signal all around the campsite and further. If our son and his family are camping near us they can use our hotspot for the Internet as well.

I hope this has been of some help,

Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
Old 05-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #19

This is on my list but the price is just breathtaking if your a weekend camper and not full-timer. Hoping the price becomes more reasonable.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
This is on my list but the price is just breathtaking if your a weekend camper and not full-timer. Hoping the price becomes more reasonable.
We bought ours refurbished by the manufacturer and saved about $150. Everything looked and worked as new and it arrived in a retail box. We were very pleased.

Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS

Tags
rockwood, 2304