Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #1

WFCO Fan runs continually

My last trip out I accidentally ran my 2x 6 v batteries right down dead ,They are only 1 year old.When I got home I charged them up on my deep cycle battery charger.I don't have meter but they are showing top level as charged on my hydrometer.I then plugged the trailer into shore power for 2 weeks now.I am getting ready to head out in the morning so went out and put the fridge on in DC and it is still plugged into shore power.Right away when starting the fridge the fan on the WFCO unit came on and has been running for 2 hours now.Any ideas as to why or Is that normal for it to run until the fridge cools right down ,and then will it stop running?
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train

Welcome to the forum.

Is it the fan on the Wfco or for the fridge? My converter is under my fridge so it is a little harder to distinguish one from the other.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Is it the fan on the Wfco or for the fridge?
I concur is it defiantly the converter fan?
Fridge shouldn't draw enough amps on its own to start converter fan.
Now if there's an issue with your batteries plus your fridge then it may.

Also if converter is stuck in bulk mode the fan may run continuously.

You need to get your meter out and start checking converter output as well as have the batteries load tested.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #4

You need a meter. Hydrometer only tells you information on your electrolyte. Doesn't tell you about the charge. If you ran them down dead, they may be gone.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #5

Definitely the convertor.The fridge and convertor are separated enough to tell.I just turned the fridge off and put it onto propane and the fan stopped .Guess I'll have to go buy a meter and then what do I check.And what kind of meter.
Is there a reset button on the convertor if it is stuck in bulk mode? ,I flipped the breakers off and on but still runs.
Thanks for the quick replies too.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Engineer of Crazy Train

Are lights on? Mine turns on with 3 or so fixtures on.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie View Post
Definitely the convertor.The fridge and convertor are separated enough to tell.I just turned the fridge off and put it onto propane and the fan stopped .Guess I'll have to go buy a meter and then what do I check.And what kind of meter.
Is there a reset button on the convertor if it is stuck in bulk mode? ,I flipped the breakers off and on but still runs.
Thanks for the quick replies too.
Get a cheap digital volt ohm meter.
There's a troubleshooting guide for your wfco 8900 series converter in the "library" section in the green banner towards the top of browser.

Your batteries will have to be load tested at an auto parts store. "Normally free"

Turbs
Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Are lights on? Mine turns on with 3 or so fixtures on.
No, nothing else is on except the lights on the smoke detector and stereo screen light, so those should't take very much power.
When I unplug from shore power the fridge runs on battery and there is battery power.And no fan,only when it is plugged into shore power and the fridge is on dc that the fan runs continuously.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #9

.I just bought a multimeter and tested my batteries and they are fully charged and have been getting charged from being plugged into 110 as I have used the trailer for a 5 day camping trip.lots of power on AC and everything runs perfectly on AC.As soon as I am home again and plugged into 110 again the fridge makes the fan run continually.I was just in the trailer and it being a hot summer 32C day it is quite warm in there and that probably keeps the fan going continually in it's self.
The question I have never been able to get a final answer on is ,is it normal for that fan to run continually under some normal conditions ,such as outside temperature and appliances like a fridge running on DC power?Will the fan not burn out after extended running time?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Fan should only run with lots of 12v load.
Lights
Ceiling fan
bathroom fan
Fridge alone will not make converter fan run continuous.

You voltage checked battery but it really needs to be load tested.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #11

Woodie, a multi-meter will only show the 'float' voltage in the battery not what the battery will provide under a load. That's why it was suggested to get the battery 'Load Tested'. It's easy and free. Chances are good that unless the battery has been run low on water or sulfated that it'll be just fine. Deep cycle batteries are perty tuff. On another note, your WFCO converter might have just bitten the dust. The fan may be doing it's job trying to cool overheated circuits. It's a tuff call, but for less than $200 you can buy a state-of-the art Progressive Dynamics with a 'Charge Wizard' and never have to worry about your converter again.
http://www.progressivedyn.com/pd4600_converter_replacement.html
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Woodie, a multi-meter will only show the 'float' voltage in the battery not what the battery will provide under a load. That's why it was suggested to get the battery 'Load Tested'. It's easy and free. Chances are good that unless the battery has been run low on water or sulfated that it'll be just fine. Deep cycle batteries are perty tuff. On another note, your WFCO converter might have just bitten the dust. The fan may be doing it's job trying to cool overheated circuits. It's a tuff call, but for less than $200 you can buy a state-of-the art Progressive Dynamics with a 'Charge Wizard' and never have to worry about your converter again.
Yep what he said to.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #13

My old fiver had a three way refrigerator 12v/110v/LPG my new fiver has a two way
110v/LPG and 12v controlls but I know the old unit would draw the batteries down if it was just on 12v and the converter would not keep up on my new trailer the 12v controlls just sips the 12v power. The conveter on the new trailer the fan usually only comes on when I use the slides or the batterys are low otherwise the fan is hardly ever on. You might have lost some capacity on your batteries after running them down I would think?

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #14

Woodie, since your fridge is a 3 mode type, when used only on DC, it will draw a fair amount of amps from your converter and battery. That would be the reason the converter fan is always on. When you put in on gas only, the fan probably shuts off? Look a page 9 of the manual and it explains that in only DC mode it will discharge your battery rapidly if not connected to towing vehicle or shore power. The DC mode is to be used once the fridge is already cooled down and to maintain it that way when you travel. As far I'm concerned it is normal operation.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic RM2652.pdf (2.42 MB, 30 views)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Woodie, since your fridge is a 3 mode type, when used only on DC, it will draw a fair amount of amps from your converter and battery. That would be the reason the converter fan is always on. When you put in on gas only, the fan probably shuts off? Look a page 9 of the manual and it explains that in only DC mode it will discharge your battery rapidly if not connected to towing vehicle or shore power. The DC mode is to be used once the fridge is already cooled down and to maintain it that way when you travel. As far I'm concerned it is normal operation.
Didn't know it had a three way fridge...
Argh.....
Old 07-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #16

Thanks everyone for the information .I talked to the manufacture and he said that if the fridge is drawing power from DC ,the convertor has to convert that to AC to run the fridge, as that is what the fridge runs on (AC),so it will make the fan run on the convertor to cool the unit as it works.Therfore normal .