Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #1

What format for memory stick?

I just discovered the SD slot in our Concertone will not work. I tried a memory stick in the USB port and it does see the stick but will not play any songs. I do have other files on the stick, does it need to be an empty stick with no ohter files? Does the music need to be in a folder? Does it read MP3's or does it need a different format?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
I just discovered the SD slot in our Concertone will not work. I tried a memory stick in the USB port and it does see the stick but will not play any songs. I do have other files on the stick, does it need to be an empty stick with no ohter files? Does the music need to be in a folder? Does it read MP3's or does it need a different format?
I think there is a max size it will read; both USB abd SD.
What size card/stick are you using?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
I was just looking at the Zx700 manual and it doesn't say much other than it has an SD port and will play music an pictures. If you have anything on your SD stick it is already formatted.
I would erase what you have and test by adding a few jpg photos in the root directory and possibly adding a mp3 format song and see what happens. I would think the TV would have to be on for the photos and look at changing the source possible.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

When I first took delivery of my unit last year I thought the Concertone 700 was broken. The DVD player output, jpgs from the usb and SD port video were all snowy and scrambled.

The dealer was no help at all and only offered to order me a new one.

So, I started looking at all the menus to see if there was something I missed and discovered the Concertone was set on PAL from the factory.

Switching it back to NTSC solved all three problems.

BUT there is a MAX size that the USB and JPG reader will read REGARDLESS of FORMAT (OS10, DOS32, or NTFS). I think its 1 GIG but its been so long since I used either; I have forgotten. I remember I had no trouble with my 512meg camera sticks but when I bought a 2 GIG camera chip it did not work.

It is a function of the operating system inside the Concertone. There is a maximum number of memory any computer can access based on the "word size" of it's operating system (like 32bit or 64bit Windows). The bigger the "word" the more memory is can access.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:

This is what I just received from the company via email.

The unit supports SD cards with up to 2GB capacity.

The SD card has to be formatted with FAT file system.

The unit will play MP3 songs, MP4 audio/ video files and JPG photos.

When an SD card is plugged in, the unit will read the card and automatically go to SD card mode. Use the navigation buttons as well as play, stop, next and previous on the remote control to switch between songs/ photos.

Regards,
Concertone Support
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
This is what I just received from the company via email.

The unit supports SD cards with up to 2GB capacity.

The SD card has to be formatted with FAT file system.

The unit will play MP3 songs, MP4 audio/ video files and JPG photos.

When an SD card is plugged in, the unit will read the card and automatically go to SD card mode. Use the navigation buttons as well as play, stop, next and previous on the remote control to switch between songs/ photos.

Regards,
Concertone Support
Up to 2 Gig? hmm. Maybe my SD mode is bad...
Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #7

All SD readers should be able to read up to (a standard specification) 2 gig. Above that the new format is SDHC (high capacity) and you will need a reader that accepts the high capacity specification. If your reader is not reading your 2 gig I would make sure that A: it is not a 2 gig SDHC card or B: there is not something wrong with it formatting or C: something wrong with the reader.

Edit: Would be willing to bet it is A:
Your card is probably an SDHC card. Look for either SDHC, Hi speed or some other indication that it is the new specification.

2010 Nights Camped =14
elamsinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamsinsd View Post
All SD readers should be able to read up to (a standard specification) 2 gig. Above that the new format is SDHC (high capacity) and you will need a reader that accepts the high capacity specification. If your reader is not reading your 2 gig I would make sure that A: it is not a 2 gig SDHC card or B: there is not something wrong with it formatting or C: something wrong with the reader.

Edit: Would be willing to bet it is A:
Your card is probably an SDHC card. Look for either SDHC, Hi speed or some other indication that it is the new specification.
It is A:

I bought the high speed card for my camera. The camera will cycle faster to the next picture with the high speed card. Thanks.

I learn something new here every day.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I found out a similiar problem w/ my GPS. It wouldn't "recognize" a 4 gig miniSD card, 2 is the limit.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
It is A:

I bought the high speed card for my camera. The camera will cycle faster to the next picture with the high speed card. Thanks.

I learn something new here every day.
Your welcome, happy to help.

2010 Nights Camped =14
elamsinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies. the SD I tried was a 1 gig standard and it was ignored so I think it is a faulty card reader. I tried a 2 gig stick first then my 1/2 gig stick. Both were seen by the concertone but wouldn't play. I just tried my son's 2 gig stick and that one worked! Now I have to try to figure out what the difference is between his and mine.
Update - Compared the two sticks, the only difference I could find was his was formatted FAT32 and mine was just plain FAT. I reformatted it using FAT32 and it now works! Now I am going to dump some pics on it and see if I can make the picture viewer work too.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Interesting & good news! I'll pass back to Concertone Support for review...
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #13

Yesterday I was listening to the musicd on the memory stick when it bagan stopping then recycling to the first song. After this went on for as few minutes I went to pull out the stick and it was very hot! I let it cool down then checked it with my computer to see if it was damaged and all the files were there and worked ok. I went to pull it after a few minutes and it was too hot to touch! I have never heard of a memory stick shorting before.