Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
Somewhat right of center

What, no Blu-Ray?

Soon I'll be picking up a new Prime Time 5th wheel. A 2014 to be exact. Anyway while the wife and I were going through all the models trying to make our decision, I was glad to see they all come with HD tv's. Then again, that's all that's out there anyway. The thing that surprized and disappointed me was all the combo DVD/CD AM/FM players and combo sound bars are basic DVD players and not Blu-Ray players. Of course it's not a deal breaker but the player should compliment the capabilities of the TV and they will play regular DVD's too. Just something the RV manufacturers should look into. In the mean time I'll just invest in another PS3 for about $250 as a stand alone blu-ray player. Thoughts?
Crabbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #2

Yep. That was the biggest disappointment in my 5er as well. Not only no BluRay, but no iPod support. What sound system do the Crusaders have in them anyway? (I might have a suggestion for you.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
What sound system do the Crusaders have in them anyway? (I might have a suggestion for you.)
An RCA soundbar with DVD/CD AM/FM built in. It sits under the TV. In the BR it has a Jensen AM/FM radio with Bluetooth. The reviews I'm reading about the RCA aren't good. DVD freezing up or not working, power problems and some people on their third or fourth replacement. I saw the price of less than 100 bucks for it by itself. To me that = junk. Replacing junk with junk, not me. If it goes, I'll replace it with something much better.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #4

tech/video/surround sound etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbyguy View Post
An RCA soundbar with DVD/CD AM/FM built in. It sits under the TV. In the BR it has a Jensen AM/FM radio with Bluetooth. The reviews I'm reading about the RCA aren't good. DVD freezing up or not working, power problems and some people on their third or fourth replacement. I saw the price of less than 100 bucks for it by itself. To me that = junk. Replacing junk with junk, not me. If it goes, I'll replace it with something much better.
Hi Folks,
Followed you over from the Coachmen forum. Yes, you get what you pay for...LEDs, sound, optical media etc. HDMI is your key to surround sound. What? You have other tv's you would like to get HDMI to? Don't want to run the cables? You can use this system to control your device from your remote tvs, it transmits HDMI which contains the surrond sound coding as well as the highest resolutio video. How well does it work? Check with gocar6 over on the Cachmen forum. All you will need is a transmitter/receiver set and then extra receivers for each tv.
Amazon.com: Actiontec My Wireless TV WiFi / HDMI Multi-Room Wireless HD Video Kit: Electronics
http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/2012//0...eo-kit-review/

What ever you decide....enjoy!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
JAYCO Representative

Exclamation No HDMI either!

It's an interesting discussion, for sure. AV equipment in RVs is a bit behind the curve. A built in Blu-Ray player is not currently available from any of the current suppliers in the industry due to licensing and a perceived lack of interest from consumers. And while I personally understand why a customer would want Blu-Ray capability, I think the bigger question pertains to "digital" media in general -- most RV specific DVD setups don't even include HDMI, so the picture is analog!

Every Wildcat currently uses a Jensen 975 DVD AV system which includes both HDMI (for a truly digital AV connection) and a licensed iPod dock connector (not just a 1/8" analog audio input) paired with a Toshiba 40" HDTV (currently the 40E200U model) with 3 HDMI inputs. We were the first to offer a Vizio 3D Smart TV (with Netflix and Hulu etc.) with 3D Blu-Ray player as an option in 2011, but discontinued it after lackluster sales volume last year. So we're absolutely trying to cater to the end user who loves tech WITH their RV, but it's not very common in the industry in general.

It's important to note that the very most popular Blu-Ray player in the USA is the Playstation 3, so I think that's a great option (although some people might argue about bringing a PS3 camping). We're making sure there's room to bring one along!

I'm interested to hear what other people have to say!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Somewhat right of center

Thanks Wildcat Chris. I'm understand now demand isn't high for the bluray/digital stuff but maybe it can be offered in the future as an option for those that want higher end electronics. Doesn't matter to me though (you should see what I have at home) I'll just install what I need. Off season, I'll use it in the house. Cheers.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #7

Personally from the people I speak with there is a huge demand for it and whoever decides to be the first will have a big advantage over the competition. We are looking to but a new toy hauler at the end of the year and the XLR 5er's our in the top of our list but if somebody makes blu ray and digital available they will definitely get my attention.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #8

Hi wildcat chris,
True the Jensen 975 has an HDMI out, but, its dvd is not Bluray. Kind of a disappointment. Does not have aHDMI input so you can not use a BluRay player with it. A mediocre system at best.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat Chris View Post
It's an interesting discussion, for sure. AV equipment in RVs is a bit behind the curve. A built in Blu-Ray player is not currently available from any of the current suppliers in the industry due to licensing and a perceived lack of interest from consumers. And while I personally understand why a customer would want Blu-Ray capability, I think the bigger question pertains to "digital" media in general -- most RV specific DVD setups don't even include HDMI, so the picture is analog!

Every Wildcat currently uses a Jensen 975 DVD AV system which includes both HDMI (for a truly digital AV connection) and a licensed iPod dock connector (not just a 1/8" analog audio input) paired with a Toshiba 40" HDTV (currently the 40E200U model) with 3 HDMI inputs. We were the first to offer a Vizio 3D Smart TV (with Netflix and Hulu etc.) with 3D Blu-Ray player as an option in 2011, but discontinued it after lackluster sales volume last year. So we're absolutely trying to cater to the end user who loves tech WITH their RV, but it's not very common in the industry in general.

It's important to note that the very most popular Blu-Ray player in the USA is the Playstation 3, so I think that's a great option (although some people might argue about bringing a PS3 camping). We're making sure there's room to bring one along!

I'm interested to hear what other people have to say!
A small Sony blueray fits right under the TV IN MY Vcross. Now I need to set up a true 5.1 system using the existing speakers as fronts and backs. And adding a center and a sub and a decoder/amp. Be awhile to figure that out
Old 05-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #10
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nshort View Post
Hi wildcat chris,
True the Jensen 975 has an HDMI out, but, its dvd is not Bluray. Kind of a disappointment. Does not have aHDMI input so you can not use a BluRay player with it. A mediocre system at best.
Excellent point. HDMI is for digital and all of the Jensen systems are still analog. Reminds me of the t*ts on a bull saying.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
JAYCO Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbyguy View Post
Excellent point. HDMI is for digital and all of the Jensen systems are still analog. Reminds me of the t*ts on a bull saying.
Actually, what I was saying is the the Jensen 975 system Wildcat uses DOES have HDMI output (digital) -- it's the only one that does. That's no bull!

Wildcat's Toshiba TVs have HDMI inputs, so you're easily able to add a Blu-Ray player that way...
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
Somewhat right of center

Ok, thanks Wildcat Chris. I need to research more before I open my big mouth.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #13

I think the factory audio video systems are majorly lacking but in my opinion how impressive the system is depends on the person judging it too. My in laws are amazed cause my camper came with a touch screen stereo/dvd player and an led tv but I'm not because its all cheap off brand low quality stuff that I'll be replacing later.

2012 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH

2001 Rockwood Freedom 2280 popup <--For Sale
JTHale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #14

while this is an old thread, the problem has gotten worse.... Movies are starting to ship without a DVD option. I went to get the usual combo Blue-Ray/DVD movie pack for a new movie that came out and it was available at Wally-World in only Blue-Ray and 4K (whatever that is - newest thing I guess) off the shelf. My 2017 Vibe has an empty slot that is the exact size for an automobile radio - it sure would be nice to find a blu-ray player that was in a car stereo to put in there.. but alas...

Kennesaw, Georgia
Toolman_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #15

I gave up trying to find one.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote