Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #21
Cutty
 
bbcutright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Southeast
Posts: 82
We love our Dish at home, but at some point expect rate hikes. They offer a 3 year no hike guarantee now to new customers.
Satellite dish for camping can run close to $500 including the receiver you need but only $7 a month for service and can turn on and off only when you need it if you have home service. Go with the I think pathfinder x2 so you have two satellites you can point to depending on location.
__________________

__________________
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #22
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 6,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Dish with proper sat.dish = HD
Directv with any sat. dish = SD

Pretty easy choice, if you must have HD, go with DISH, if SD works for you, go with DIRECTV!
Sorry, but this is simply not true. I use a DIRECTV HD antenna and get HD programming with the HD receivers I use with my HD antenna at home.
__________________

__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 3,307
If RSchedler had said any AUTOMATIC dish with Direct is SD only, that would be almost true.........except for the Travel'r. But I have a Slimline LNB5 DirecTV oval dish, and an HR24 receiver. They do get HD signals in the camper just fine, WHENEVER I FIGURE OUT HOW TO POINT THE DISH PROPERLY.

I have Dishpointer Pro app on my smartphone. It helps point in general direction. Finding exact satellites is a chore, at least for me. I guess it's a 'learned art'.......but I can't seem to learn it.

I'd pay two dollars for a good hands-on training class on how to do it. I've investigated $400 Satellite Finding Meters, but that's a lot of change. I've investigated a Travl'r automatic dish, but I need it to be portable!

If I had DISH service at home, that's what I'd use in the camper. I don't, and I'm not switching from DirecTV to DISH just for the camper. And the Dish "Pay as you go" feature did not work for me, on THREE separate tries. They simply cancelled me and said I owed several months back fees, all 3 times! NO more.

So, I keep DirecTV, keep my LNB5 Slimline, and will somehow, someday, with sufficient help, learn to point it in less than 4 hours!
__________________
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 45
We like Direct because of their RV option, which Dish doesn't offer. Specifically, network feeds from both coasts and free account "freezing" when not in use. Dish says we're to call wherever we happen to be and they'll change our package to include the locals available at that zip code. One disadvantage to Direct: we've a Winegard automatic antenna which is not HD-capable and do not think it worth the money to upgrade. Many Dish channels are HD. As someone noted earlier, portable Dish antennae are much less expensive. For the channel package we like, Direct is about $20/cheaper. BTW, we use Dish at home and Direct in the moho - Direct cannot access the necessary satellites at the house due to tree cover.
__________________
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Marion, IL
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcutright View Post
We love our Dish at home, but at some point expect rate hikes. They offer a 3 year no hike guarantee now to new customers.
Satellite dish for camping can run close to $500 including the receiver you need but only $7 a month for service and can turn on and off only when you need it if you have home service. Go with the I think pathfinder x2 so you have two satellites you can point to depending on location.
Something I've always wondered, is your service at home still active when you're using your service in your camper?

Let's say I'm gone in the camper and using the satellite for $7 a month, and my wife stays home, can she still view dish tv?
__________________
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Middleburg, FL
Posts: 42
I use DirecTV. I have the Wineguard Travl'r HD dish set up for 2 TVs mounted on the roof of my RV. When I get to the site the first thing I do is power up the antenna and let it find the sats. I do pay extra for the national feeds. I like this in the fall for football. When I am not in my RV I just suspend the service. Depending on the set up DirecTV can be a whole lot more expensive than Dish if you want HD. My antenna with professional install cost about $3000.00. I travel a whole lot for work so with the per diem I receive, going this route was a no brainer for me. Also, I can be in limbo for two to three weeks between jobs so being able to watch what I want when I want no matter where I am in the country is a nice benefit. I have used DirecTV at home for a very long time and have been very pleased with the customer service and quality of programming. I like all the sports packages that they have and love NFL Sunday Ticket. I have viewed Dish at friend's houses and have not been as impressed with the picture quality. Sure, it is a personal preference for me - I just prefer DirecTV.

Dish is the much easier and cheaper option if you want HD. Using a portable antenna means you don't have to worry about trees or other obstructions. You take it outside, turn it on, and let it do it's thing while you set up your site. Just buy a long cable tether so you can lock it to your RV to keep the very, very, occasional less than stellar RVer from "borrowing" it for a while. If you are just looking for something to watch when the weather is bad or to catch the news or ESPN in the morning and at night then I suggest Dish.
__________________
_____________________
Berk Thompson
TT 2013 FR V Lite WIKSS
TV 2013 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab
Middleburg Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #27
Member
 
TxLightkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
Something I've always wondered, is your service at home still active when you're using your service in your camper?

Let's say I'm gone in the camper and using the satellite for $7 a month, and my wife stays home, can she still view dish tv?
Yes, there is no effect to your home service while you are camping, the $7 is a receiver fee that allows you access to your programing package, no matter where you are viewing it from. Same as viewing different receivers at home.
__________________
Coming Soon.....To A Campground Near You!
2015 FR Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304 DS
2014 Nissan Titan CC SV
TxLightkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
slide5r4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Sorry, but this is simply not true. I use a DIRECTV HD antenna and get HD programming with the HD receivers I use with my HD antenna at home.
X2
__________________
Kevin & Janine
2006 Dodge 2500 Megacab CTD 2WD
2012 Palomino Sabre 32RCTS
Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleburg Redneck View Post
I use DirecTV. I have the Wineguard Travl'r HD dish set up for 2 TVs mounted on the roof of my RV. When I get to the site the first thing I do is power up the antenna and let it find the sats. I do pay extra for the national feeds. I like this in the fall for football. When I am not in my RV I just suspend the service. Depending on the set up DirecTV can be a whole lot more expensive than Dish if you want HD. My antenna with professional install cost about $3000.00. I travel a whole lot for work so with the per diem I receive, going this route was a no brainer for me. Also, I can be in limbo for two to three weeks between jobs so being able to watch what I want when I want no matter where I am in the country is a nice benefit. I have used DirecTV at home for a very long time and have been very pleased with the customer service and quality of programming. I like all the sports packages that they have and love NFL Sunday Ticket. I have viewed Dish at friend's houses and have not been as impressed with the picture quality. Sure, it is a personal preference for me - I just prefer DirecTV.

Dish is the much easier and cheaper option if you want HD. Using a portable antenna means you don't have to worry about trees or other obstructions. You take it outside, turn it on, and let it do it's thing while you set up your site. Just buy a long cable tether so you can lock it to your RV to keep the very, very, occasional less than stellar RVer from "borrowing" it for a while. If you are just looking for something to watch when the weather is bad or to catch the news or ESPN in the morning and at night then I suggest Dish.
Well, DISH is not a cheaper option when you have DirecTV at home and taking a receiver from home is basically free......versus setting up a separate DISH account solely for the RV for $90 a month (which is what mine cost me), only to find that they cancel your account every single time you try to suspend it. That wasn't cheaper.........it was high dollar just to get an automatic physical dish.

I will just have to learn how to point the DirecTV dish and get by cheap.
__________________
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 4,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
If RSchedler had said any AUTOMATIC dish with Direct is SD only, that would be almost true.........except for the Travel'r. But I have a Slimline LNB5 DirecTV oval dish, and an HR24 receiver. They do get HD signals in the camper just fine, WHENEVER I FIGURE OUT HOW TO POINT THE DISH PROPERLY.

I have Dishpointer Pro app on my smartphone. It helps point in general direction. Finding exact satellites is a chore, at least for me. I guess it's a 'learned art'.......but I can't seem to learn it.

I'd pay two dollars for a good hands-on training class on how to do it. I've investigated $400 Satellite Finding Meters, but that's a lot of change. I've investigated a Travl'r automatic dish, but I need it to be portable!

If I had DISH service at home, that's what I'd use in the camper. I don't, and I'm not switching from DirecTV to DISH just for the camper. And the Dish "Pay as you go" feature did not work for me, on THREE separate tries. They simply cancelled me and said I owed several months back fees, all 3 times! NO more.

So, I keep DirecTV, keep my LNB5 Slimline, and will somehow, someday, with sufficient help, learn to point it in less than 4 hours!

What I do with Directv is turn the receiver on, then I set up the antenna. I go into the menu on the receiver and find out where you set the zip code, once I set the zip code where I'm at, it gives me the information I need. It tells me the tilt, elevation and azimuth. I set the tilt and elevation, then I call my wife on my phone and we put the phones on speaker. I also use my phone to get the azimuth and then it's just a matter of listening for the beats. From getting the antenna out to getting a signal and getting me a beer takes no more than thirty minutes. The more you set up the antenna the better you get. The only thing I don't like about Direc is the price


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ignhavefun.gif
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
satellite

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.