Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 12:15 AM   #1

When they work, are backup cameras useful

I have a 33IK that is pre wired for a backup camera. When they work are they really useful?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #2

When we bought our MH it had a backup and side cameras on it already from the factory. I had never used a camera system before so if I had ordered the rig from the factory I wouldn't had added the camera as an option.

HOWEVER, after driving mine for the past year with the camera system I will never buy another RV without one. I leave mine on while driving and use it as a rear view mirror. I can see my bicycles on the back bumper which gives me some peace of mind that they're still there. The side cameras are the real treat though. When you put your signal light on you can see your entire side and the lane next to you in the monitor. I use the side cameras when pulling into a campsite or taking a tight corner as it lets me see the side of the rig much better than the mirrors.

To get back to your original question, IMHO backup cameras are a great tool if you don't have a completely unobstructed view behind you.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:36 AM   #3

the way that it seems that they are wired is that if you have your lights on (not backup but just your normal lights) the camera will get power
Old 05-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #4

Mine seems to have power whenever the vehicle is running. I have to turn the monitor on manually if I want to use it as a rear view mirror. There is a way to make it come on as soon as you start the vehicle but I found that at night it's too bright and I'm too lazy to find the control to turn down the brightness. So, I just shut off the monitor at night. When you put it into reverse or turn on a signal light the monitor powers up on it's own.

Skip & Deb
Old 05-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #5

Loved it on my motorhome. Made backing up and watching behind you so much easier. I would turn mine on as a rear view monitor in heavy traffic.

When we were on interstates and traffic was light or when it was dark I shut if off.

Obviously loved it for backing up.

As for on a trailer or 5ver I have no experience yet. Have not found a reliable and affordable option for my 5th wheel combo yet. Plus we have not towed it far often enough to get one.

But loved it on the MH for sure
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
A company I work for from time to time installed back-up monitors in their fleet of about 100,000 delivery vehicles in the US. The frequency of backing accidents actually increased after the cameras were installed. Nearly all of the post camera accidents were due to backing into something high off the ground (branches, gutters, eaves, telephone wires, etc.). Just something to keep in mind.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. My RV is a fifth wheel and even though it would be nice to use on the highway (may not want to see the bikes bouncing ) I am mainly interested for backing into campsites.

My CC 33IK is pre wired for a Furrion and I understand it is activated via the backup light connection. I'm just not sure as to the detail or the video distortion I would see from a camera mounted high up on the rear of the RV. I'm sure it would really help as to approach angle to the site as it is difficult at times to see how well aligned I am to the site/pad.

Any Furrion users and experience with a fifth wheel would be appreciated..

Old 05-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Thanks for the replies. My RV is a fifth wheel and even though it would be nice to use on the highway (may not want to see the bikes bouncing ) I am mainly interested for backing into campsites.

My CC 33IK is pre wired for a Furrion and I understand it is activated via the backup light connection. I'm just not sure as to the detail or the video distortion I would see from a camera mounted high up on the rear of the RV. I'm sure it would really help as to approach angle to the site as it is difficult at times to see how well aligned I am to the site/pad.

Any Furrion users and experience with a fifth wheel would be appreciated..
Mine isn't a 5er but I do have a Furrion unit. There's a microphone in the camera that lets me hear my wife directing me while I'm backing up. We have walkie-talkies but forget to use them more often than not. The speaker helps. The picture on the monitor is nice and clear. It's adjustable with a distance grid on it so you can set it for the different heights. The only time I've ever had a problem is when driving at night and using it as a rear view mirror, car lights behind me will wash it out.

Skip & Deb
Old 05-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #9

I have a Rockwood TT and after looking at reviews I purchased the Furrion FOS48-TA. I shopped prices on Amazon and eBay and found a good price. I can see my rear rack and cars behind me when driving. It has very good resolution and can be used while backing up and driving without distortion. It doesn't have a speaker and we use two-way radios when backing up as well. Mine works when the headlights are on (not running lights). It is "plug & play" to hook up and very easy. The only thing that I don't like is that the monitor screen only comes with a suction cup mount. I contacted Furrion and there are no other mounting options. I am going to modify a Garmin gimbal bracket so I can set it on the dash or console.
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Also have the Furrion. They have "back-up" models and "observation" models. We have the latter and I like being able to see how close the car behind us is when traveling. It's my understanding the "back-up" models only come on when you put you vehicle in reverse. Ours is wired into the running lights of the camper so we do have to turn our lights on (not a bad idea anyway) for it to power up. Most useful though is whenever you pull into a tight space like a gas station and need to back up a bit after gassing up. You would have no idea if someone has pulled in behind you. Very handy!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrand View Post
the way that it seems that they are wired is that if you have your lights on (not backup but just your normal lights) the camera will get power
I have the Furrion system on my new tt and works with lights on only. It's referred to as Furrion reversing camera system but basically its just a rear monitor. I talked to Furrion representatives at Goshen last year to see if they would increase the size of the dash monitor as I complained to small. They said they where working on it. Well it's been 9 months and no upgrade. Other than that system works fine. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #12

Never had one on my previous rig. Wouldn't be without one now that I have one. Now if.my wife wouldn't keep telling me I am too close to this or that...it would be perfect!
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #13
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I put together my own system on my TV and 5er. I view it from the stereo 7" screen when I turn on the upfitter switch.
Where I really appreciate the camera is those times you need to reverse suddenly to reposition for example at a fueling station. It's nice to be able check that no 4 wheeler pulled in up my bumper. I do use it at times backing in at the campgrounds but I also have an 11 y.o. son that assists.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #14

I have no idea. Mine lasted 2 hours.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #15

I have the system that came with my 3051, and I like it. I still use my wife to watch for high stuff, but for the middle of your rig it is very useful.
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #16

I have the cheaper backup camera, it updates about once a sec. go slow, watch camera and mirrors. I love it
Old 05-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I have no idea. Mine lasted 2 hours.
Yea, that's what I meant by "when they work"

Consensus though is most are happy they have them.. I will look into getting one. Thanks to all who responded...

Old 05-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #18

I have a backup camera on my truck and trailer that utilizes the screen on my pioneer head unit. The head unit allows me to control the camera to be on all the time or only come on in reverse. The trailer camera is hardwired through a switch to the battery and I have 40ft of RCA cable that runs up to the trailer tongue. Since the cameras on my truck and trailer are the same, this allows me to easily swap cameras depending on if I am towing or not. What I find most useful about having the camera when towing is I can easily see when I have cleared a vehicle when passing or merging. I can also see that my lights are functioning without having to go back there and look. When backing into a spot I only really use it for trying to find my wife if I can't see her in the mirrors.

http://www.amazon.com/Esky-EC170-06-...rds=B00H3ZN3JK
Old 05-17-2016, 07:29 AM   #19

I installed an inexpensive rear view camera. Works great for keeping an eye on the Toad and anything coming up behind or beside me.

Rear View Camera | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

As for the wireless - I originally installed a cheap wireless transmitter and receiver for the camera, and got power to the camera and transmitter via the MH running lights. I since rewired to a separate switch and ran a cable back to the camera so its no longer wireless, and no longer depends on running lights being on.

My wireless camera was interfering with my Tire Pressure Monitoring. I installed TPMS in the rear tires of my Camry and the two Tow dolly tires. I discovered the Wireless rear camera was interfering with the TPMS transmitters. That was one of the main reasons I decided to hard wire the rear camera and do away with the wireless.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #20

We use Rear View Safety. System has always worked great.

Here's the backup camera system we use, but looking on the site I see wireless options as well.

The mic and speakers are super helpful.
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote