Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #1

Whirlpool residential fridge in 371REBH freeze up

Hello all! I have recently taken delivery of a 2016 Sandpiper 371REBH! The unit's water system was pressure tested with antifreeze at the dealer and then left winterized (so I was told). During my delivery inspection I discovered a red slush filled ice basket in the freezer, to which the tech commented "hey, that's where all that antifreeze went!"

So the camper sat for approximately 2 months until it warmed up enough to dewinterize and check the water system. Everything looked great, water pump pressured system up and no leaks! The water pump did not cycle and water heater worked well. The icemaker spit out several batches of ice, starting out slushy, but then looking normal! I thought everything was great...until today.

I was checking the unit in anticipation of our first camping trip and noticed that the ice bin was not full. Further inspection revealed the floor of the freezer covered in ice. I disassembled the freezer section and found a block of ice in the rear of the freezer almost completely covering the coils. It was impressive, wish I had taken photos!

The defrosting element was not ice encased, telling me that it had been trying to defrost. I defrosted everything, and noticed nothing that I would consider out of the ordinary. I pressured up the water system and observed no leaks in the freezer section. I reassembled everything and let the fridge run on fast cool for a bit, but the icemaker never called for water (I'm assuming freezer temp was not low enough).

I ran out of time and shut down unit and de pressured the water system until I have more time to look at it.

I did tow the unit for a few miles with the fridge running on inverter, water pump and icemaker on. (got a new truck, had to try it out!)

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
Doug
The Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:19 PM   #2

Also, I forgot to add that the water filter was in the unit when they ran the antifreeze through it. Is that ok?

Doug
Old 03-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head View Post
Also, I forgot to add that the water filter was in the unit when they ran the antifreeze through it. Is that ok?

Doug
Are you talking about the water filter in the fridge or the house filter? Some of the residential Fridges (mine included) have to have the filters in place in order to winterize. The filter is then only good for winterizing! Mark it, bag it, and save it for next fall. I'm not sure on your other problems though.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #4

Yes, internal fridge filter..I will tag and bag it till fall! Thanks for the tip, I probably would have tossed it!

Doug
Old 03-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Does your fridge have the ice maker in the freezer, or is it only in the door/fridge area? These fridges have the capability of adding an ice maker to the freezer drawer, along with the one in the door.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #6

It is a 30" French door model, with bottom freezer drawer. Icemaker is in bottom freezer drawer.

Thanks,

Doug
Old 03-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head View Post
It is a 30" French door model, with bottom freezer drawer. Icemaker is in bottom freezer drawer.

Thanks,

Doug
I see, ours is in the door. I would look at the internal lines and make sure they are connected properly. For some reason it seems that water is bypassing the ice maker and flowing into the freezer drawer, creating your big block of ice. If you're not making cubes, the problem lies before the ice maker. At least that is my guess.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #8

10-4, I agree. I am assuming that there is just a solenoid of some type that meters the water required by the icemaker? I have no door mounted water.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
nosaint3

might not be relevant, but my Frigidaire ice maker water line had a pin hole in it that left lots of water in bottom of frig. Dealer mopped up the mess after the door was opened. Forgot to fix or mention it to me. One of many.
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #10

I had the same issue last year with a new Whirlpool. Whirlpool came and serviced the ice maker five times. Eventually they changed the filler tube and this fixed the issue. The filler tube that was originally on the unit had a slot where as the new tube was solid. They had already replaced the valve, checked the incoming water pressure. The refrigerator would work great for about 24 hours and would then freeze at the filler tube causing the water to spill down under the drawer and freeze. Sounds like a similar issue. The technician called Whirlpool two or three times before the lady at Whirlpool said "you need to replace with updated tube".
jfg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #11

Thanks for the info! When I took the unit apart, there were two tubes. One that actually went into the icemaker slipped over another tube in the rear of the freezer. This "fixed" tube does appear to have a slot in the top of it. Is this the tube that was replaced? Thanks!

Doug
Old 03-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #12

Doug,

It was the plastic tube (fixed) tube that was replaced. The rubber tube on the inside was OK. The first two times the tech called in to ask about updates he was told nothing. the third time the lady who answered immediately told him she was shipping him a replacement part. When the tech opened the part it was the first thing that had been a different part than what came on it. Have not had an issue since, but it was extremely frustrating with a new refrigerator and after the ice under the drawer built up enough, it would leak out into the floor.

Hope this helps

Jimmy
Old 03-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #13

Mine was a model WRF560SMYM04
Old 03-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #14

Doug, did you figure it out? Let me know.
Thx
Mike
roodman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge